Bloodbath League Proposal

Discussions about the various leagues
Jim
Private
Private

Bloodbath League Proposal

Post by Jim »

I think it would be awesome to get a league for Bloodbath. Organized teams would make that server 500% better. I don't know how to do this at all, but just in case anyone else is as interested in this as I am, I'm throwing it out there. What do relax and meteorite think about this idea?
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

What about a smaller-scale thing, such as a tournament, first? Leagues are cool, but perhaps it would be better to test the idea on something a bit smaller first.
A Looney Kumquat
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Looney Kumquat »

Agreed- but I think its a great Idea- BB has been top of the top for months now, and really would be a popular league, and a HUGE turny
-ALK

OS Moment <"O""S" mo·ment>
1) Where one can see something bad about to happen, cant do a bloody thing about it, but still has time to say "Oh 5h!t!!!" 2) An action that makes all the surrounding people drop their jaw and say "Oh 5h!t...."
ducatiwannabe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducatiwannabe »

If you're going to do something with Bloodbath, a tournament would be a better idea than a league. HiX, Ducati, and the Pillbox leagues all are able to be played with only a few players on each team. If you made a Bloodbath league, you'd have to have quite a few players on each team to make it like it is now (Like 10 on each team? Not that many BZFlag League players...)

Besides, we don't really need a new league. :) I think it's best to keep laser sniping maps out of leagues, for now, at least, as you have to have quite a few players to make it really fun to play. Even Missile Wart. :P Yes, I meant that "t". :D :D :D

Still, it would be fun for a tournament.
AAA
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by AAA »

There is something about Bloodbath 2 (2.0 through 2.2, and 2.3 along the way) that makes it more appealing for organized play then HiX2 or Boxy war. There are so many play tactics, It is much different then HiX2, with only 2-3 good stratagys.
BZFX has some neat stuff coming out, and there is a very good chance one major feature will be a tournament (wink wink).
Meteorite should have seen this thread by now, he lives here even more then on IRC.
Admin and Senior Vice Executive Administrator of Network and System Architecture @ BZFX -- Core Admin @ CAN -- SF.net user diamondmagic -- irc.freenode.net nickname AAA_awright (#bzfx if not #bzflag)
Saturos
Art Master General
Art Master General

Post by Saturos »

AAA wrote:that makes it more appealing for organized play then HiX2 or Boxy war. There are so many play tactics, It is much different then HiX2, with only 2-3 good stratagys.
... lol. Period.

Edit: Okay, I decided to elaborate a bit.

First thing: You cant compare hix and bloodbath. Never. They are too different and serve totally different purposes.

Second thing: Yes, bloodbath may have different tactics due to the superflags and how the map is structured (although mainly due to superflags) but that DOES NOT MEAN that gameplay on maps without flags cant be as deep.

Third thing: Did you ever seriously play hix? When reading your posting I doubt that you understand more than 5% of the map. 2-3 tactics.. define a "tactic" please. hix-strategies arent as obvious and more subtle.. plus: Do you really think that guleague would still be active if hix wasnt as deep as it can get? Check this:
Pretty impressive, huh?

Fourth thing: I dont know anything about Bloodbath 2.0 but if the map follows the same design-concept as the current bloodbath it wont be suited for a league either. Bloodbath massively relies on a huge amount of players... I cant imagine a 5v5 to be fun. 8v8 could be pretty good though. Now.. in guleague (which is by far the most active bzleague ever) we rarely get to match 5on5. Mostly 2on2 or 3on3. Go for a bloodbath-tourny, that would totally rock! But I highly doubt a league would have any success.

Edit on the fourth: You werent talking about a league.. sry then. But please do that tourny, I would love to sign up. :)
quantum dot
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by quantum dot »

Staring a bzleague league is not difficult, keeping it alive is. We have witnessed the OpenLeague, Plosileague, Adrenaline, Trix league, ... and many more with little to none success. Some people make a map, a web site and voila! we have a new league.

You need many things to have a playable league:

1) A good league map, this is not just a map that is fun to play, but a map suitable for league competition. Deep tactical skills needing, good learning curve, able to sustain different game styles to suit different type players, good size (not too large not to small) adjusted to the players per team.... this is not a lesser point. Over the years in bzflag I have seen very few maps that are suitable for league play. As a rule I would say super-flags are a bad idea for a league map: ducati, PB, trix, and HIX are examples of good league maps.

2) A good base of players. This condition is a tricky one, some maps like the fantastic Pillbox is hugely played but no many of those everyday players have joined PB league, not to mention that once they join they do not seem to have interest in matching.

3) An excellent administrator team. This is by far the most difficult part to achieve, it requires time, patience, lots of bzflag interpersonal experience with other admins/players and good intuition to pick the correct people. For the meaning of a good admin look here: http://www.gamesunited.de/ib/index.php?showtopic=12588

4) Lots of patience and endurance. You will have to deal with so many characters, so many divergent wishes, so many tastes about what the league and fun should be .... you just need to accept someone will have to be upset at any given time for the fun of the majority.

A tourney might be a good starting point to help you see the deficiencies that should be fixed before you get disappointed with an inactive league.
A Meteorite
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Meteorite »

quantum dot wrote:Staring a bzleague league is not difficult, keeping it alive is. We have witnessed the OpenLeague, Plosileague, Adrenaline, Trix league, ... and many more with little to none success. Some people make a map, a web site and voila! we have a new league.
Plosileague is not dead, it's just asleep. Mostly because web-league does not offer the integration that we wish for. If it did, there would be no problem for the BZFX team to get it going. As AAA mentioned above, BZFX does have cool things coming and that includes Plosileague hopping along with it.

A Bloodbath tournament does indeed sound good, but not a league. League teams would have to be very large in order for matches to be playable (or even fun for that matter).
Owner @ BZFX
Core Admin @ CAN

Email me: bzmet…@gmail.com
quantum dot
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by quantum dot »

A Meteorite wrote: Plosileague is not dead, it's just asleep. .
where did i mention it was dead? I said with "little to none success" and that is IMHO unquestionable.