new server

Discussions about the various leagues
PETER 4B

new server

Post by PETER 4B »

i think bzflag needs another leauge with only 4 leages it can be boring some times since trix leauge was deleted tell me what you think about another league THIS IS NOT A SCAM
Knox
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Knox »

Maybe we need really a new league!
But what kind of new league?
Thats the real question .. i think. :)
Well i think we need a fusion of all three leagues we have at the moment.
- No ricochet
- Jumping
- More pyramids
- Maybe 3on3 Teams
example:
Player1 of team A
Player2 of team A
vs.:
Player3 of team B
Player4 of team B
vs.:
Player5 of team C
Player6 of team C

In official matches!

Or just a completely new kind of league.

Well thats my opinion. Now tell yours.
dexter
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: new server

Post by dexter »

I personally think this isn't such a good idea. You may have noticed that there really aren't enough players around to accommodate all these leagues.
It's not like every BZFlag player is interested in joining leagues. That's a whole other part of BZFlag. At the moment there's only one active league, which is the GU League. The popularity of the other leagues like Duc or Pillbox has died down significantly in recent times. By the way, there have been other tries at getting new leagues started like the Soccer League but they haven't been a big success either.
Besides, what map would you even use? You realize that all the maps that turned out being leagues have been around for a very long time. You can't just make a new map and expect it to turn into a successful league. Better to build on something existing than constantly trying to make something new and "better".
PETER 4B wrote:4 leages it can be boring some times
People have been playing the HiX map for 5+ years and are still learning new things. You might just need to spend some more time on a map and get to know it a little better, there's a lot to learn.
ducktape
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducktape »

With
Piet wrote: - No ricochet
- Jumping
Why more pyramids? for looks?
quantum dot
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by quantum dot »

PETER 4B wrote:i think bzflag needs another leauge with only 4 leages it can be boring some times since trix leauge was deleted tell me what you think about another league THIS IS NOT A SCAM
I already posted this somewhere else, but it just comes so handy:

Starting a bzleague league is not difficult, keeping it alive is. We have witnessed the OpenLeague, Plosileague, Adrenaline, Trix league, ... and many more with little to none success. Some people make a map, a web site and voila! we have a new league.

You need many things to have a playable league:

1) A good league map, this is not just a map that is fun to play, but a map suitable for league competition. Deep tactical skills needing, good learning curve, able to sustain different game styles to suit different type players, good size (not too large not to small) adjusted to the players per team.... this is not a lesser point. Over the years in bzflag I have seen very few maps that are suitable for league play. As a rule I would say super-flags are a bad idea for a league map: ducati, PB, trix, and HIX are examples of good league maps.

2) A good base of players. This condition is a tricky one, some maps like the fantastic Pillbox is hugely played but no many of those everyday players have joined PB league, not to mention that once they join they do not seem to have interest in matching.

3) An excellent administrator team. This is by far the most difficult part to achieve, it requires time, patience, lots of bzflag interpersonal experience with other admins/players and good intuition to pick the correct people. For the meaning of a good admin look here: http://www.gamesunited.de/ib/index.php?showtopic=12588

4) Lots of patience and endurance. You will have to deal with so many characters, so many divergent wishes, so many tastes about what the league and fun should be .... you just need to accept someone will have to be upset at any given time for the fun of the majority.

A tourney might be a good starting point to help you see the deficiencies that should be fixed before you get disappointed with an inactive league.
Last edited by quantum dot on Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
zaphod
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by zaphod »

ok but ...

look at the established GU league for example ::: it is not "growing" anymore ...
looking at the most active gamers and teams of the GU league ::: this are mostly the players who are (still) around since the beginning or many-many years ... and they know their maps in and out!
and they are so good, that they scare off all "newbies" ... !!! (trust me in that!)
and the newbies on the other hand dont find the fun in playing the game in getting literarily "slaughtered" .... and end up team-less, leave or become just observers ...

DUC and Pillbox the same ... and my explanation why a TRIX league died! the first step after creation was the effort to make GU league members become part of it, instead of finding "new" players, who could discover and learn a new map together and starting off on a same level!

i believe what all the leagues would need to attract new players is a new league-system;
sort off "A" and "B" level!
based on a strength-index of players, they become "A" or "B"-level (just an idea while thinking out loud) ...
from there on a lot of possibilities opens up:
1. instead having teams in a league, a match is getting together from available and registered players, and are mixed up at the beginning of a match with one "A" and one "B"-level player to each team.
score of the league is based then on strength-index of single players. or
2. teams are organized as "A"-level or "B"-level teams, depending on the average of members strength index, so a "B"-level team can only match against another "B"-level team ... result ::: both have the same level and find themselves on the map with players about the same skill.
progressively they could then improve their strength-indexes until they become A-Level players and have to join an A-level team ....

i'm convinced that a new league could have a GREAT chance to become successful,
- if there would be an equalized level and skill of players on the field!!!
- a new map that makes a great challenge for all players is certainly needed.
- experienced admins are essential to keep the whole thing together!

honestly ... nobody (except a few) players are willing to get beaten every time they try to have fun playing this fabulous game! and BZflag is incredible fun and should always be ....!!!

your turn ...!
slon02
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by slon02 »

perhaps a lasertag league?
Current Server: hosting.BZADDICT.net:5173
Former Server: Fairserve.bzflag.org:5259
dexter
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dexter »

The first part of making a new and successful league, is having a map that meet those requirements. Currently I don't see any map that qualifies.
slon02
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by slon02 »

The one that currently comes closest is Happy Tanker's lasertag map..
Current Server: hosting.BZADDICT.net:5173
Former Server: Fairserve.bzflag.org:5259
PETER 4B

Post by PETER 4B »

quantum dot
ur right but making a server like 6.bztank with machineguns lasers and shockwaves gms and cloakings
ducktape
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducktape »

If it were going to be a lasertag league i would suggest DW's Lasertag but its not my map so if someone was going to start a league with his map you would have to ask him.
dexter
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dexter »

ducktape wrote:If it were going to be a lasertag league i would suggest DW's Lasertag but its not my map so if someone was going to start a league with his map you would have to ask him.
Heh, that's what I mean. You can't really go chose a map, register a domain and boom. I mean, has lasertag been extremely popular lately? Are there enough lasertag-players playing on public server to accommodate a league?
Those are just some basic questions that need to be asked before starting something like this.
io
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by io »

Heh, that's what I mean. You can't really go chose a map, register a domain and boom. I mean, has lasertag been extremely popular lately? Are there enough lasertag-players playing on public server to accommodate a league?Those are just some basic questions that need to be asked before starting something like this.
Agree

There are so many failed examples for Leagues, Leagues need Time, Leagues need Patience, League need Mature People who know how to act.

Guess why you rarley see a Gu League Player playing with his Original callsign in Public ??
Marzipan

Why be normal when you can be yourself?

We dance because we can not fly

Legalize it!

I created a map, i just can't remeber because i were high.

bzflag.norang.ca
Openleague
Linuxratings
Soccer-Tournament
Knox
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Knox »

zaphod wrote:i believe what all the leagues would need to attract new players is a new league-system;
sort off "A" and "B" level!
based on a strength-index of players, they become "A" or "B"-level (just an idea while thinking out loud) ...
from there on a lot of possibilities opens up:
1. instead having teams in a league, a match is getting together from available and registered players, and are mixed up at the beginning of a match with one "A" and one "B"-level player to each team.
score of the league is based then on strength-index of single players. or
2. teams are organized as "A"-level or "B"-level teams, depending on the average of members strength index, so a "B"-level team can only match against another "B"-level team ... result ::: both have the same level and find themselves on the map with players about the same skill.
progressively they could then improve their strength-indexes until they become A-Level players and have to join an A-level team ....
I agree ...
Two levels, one for the weeker and one for the stronger [A].
For the beginners its easier to fight against equipollent enemies. I think they will learn faster and have more fun. And the better player in the A league have more fun too.
And they cant fight vs weeker team, than it is harder to get some "easy" points .., because they cant win vs weeker team and just make some points .. =)

Hope you understand my english.. !!?
HaveFun
F687/s
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by F687/s »

> Two levels, one for the weeker and one for the stronger [A].

But who really wants to get stuck in the B team? That may just make lesser people's interest in the team vanish.
Cheese Man
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Cheese Man »

It's not demeaning, it's just a classification.
-Cheese Out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
dango
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dango »

F687/s
Why would people be less interested just because they are on the "b" team? Did you miss this part?:
so a "B"-level team can only match against another "B"-level team ... result ::: both have the same level and find themselves on the map with players about the same skill.
or this part?:
For the beginners its easier to fight against equipollent enemies. I think they will learn faster and have more fun. And the better player in the A league have more fun too.