One Quick Question

Discussions about the various leagues
allejo
Breaker of Builds
Breaker of Builds

One Quick Question

Post by allejo »

Anyone interested in starting a new league? because i have created a map like Quol's soccer map but instead of soccer this is a basketball map. i have already finished the map, its ready to be played on. all i need is some one to host maybe, just maybe make it into a league, similar to Quol's league. i'm telling you this now i want to have no part in the making of the league all i want is some one to make my map into a league. the league is all yours except the map is mine. that's my simple proposal. i doubt anyone would be interested in this proposal but i can always take a chance.

i have posted screen shots of my map. ;)
the links for the pics are as follows:

* http://my.bzflag.org/bb/files/screenie_1_808.jpg
* http://my.BZFlag.org/bb/download.php?id=9669
* http://my.bzflag.org/bb/files/screenie_3_761.jpg

p.s. the links may take a while to load
Winny
Grouchy
Grouchy

Post by Winny »

New leagues rarely last. It's not meant to discourage you, that's just how it is.

Over the past 3-4 years I've seen about 5-6 leagues started, and they all died within 2 months.

There are not enough people interested in joining leagues, and the ones who are already in leagues do not want to switch to new ones.
allejo
Breaker of Builds
Breaker of Builds

Post by allejo »

ok thanks so should i just find some one to host it and leave it as a regular map?
Jeep
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Jeep »

we have seen the phisoleague and trix league be deleted some leagues that u make dont last long but leagues like GU are very popular and active
Jeep
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Jeep »

and sigonasr2's already made a basketball map
allejo
Breaker of Builds
Breaker of Builds

Post by allejo »

aww man shucks. :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

i had worked so hard on this map but ow well back to the drawing board for me!
Triumph of the Soul
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Triumph of the Soul »

SynFox wrote:and sigonasr2's already made a basketball map
So what? If Ha You Got Shot By Me wants to, he can make a newer, better basketball map. Normally I would say it's best to keep away from other mappers' ideas, but it's not like sigonasr2 owns basketball, or came up with the design of the basketball court.

Does the shot clock actually work (in synchronization with a Timed CTF plugin)? The map looks good overall, but also a bit choppy with some of the texturing.

As for a basketball league, I'd say anything is possible. As you know, however, the league is only as good as the map it uses. Since most people have acquired a taste for certain maps, attracting a mostly new fan base would be a necessary, but arduous task.
Creator @: Duck or Die, Duck or Die CTF, Fuel Stack, Guernica, Normal, Frayed
allejo
Breaker of Builds
Breaker of Builds

Post by allejo »

the shot clock is not synchronized with the timed ctf plugin.
but if you know how please tell me.
right now the shot clock is only a picture. and thank you for your support A Distraction! :)

oh yeah what is choppy the floor or the shot clock pic?
macsforme
General
General

Re: One Quick Question

Post by macsforme »

Ha You Got Shot By Me wrote:because i have created a map like Quol's soccer map
The soccer map used in the BZSoccer league was created by sigonasr2, not Quol.
allejo
Breaker of Builds
Breaker of Builds

Post by allejo »

WHAT! then why does is it called quol's soccer league?
Triumph of the Soul
Corporal
Corporal

Ha You Got Shot By Me wrote:the shot clock is not synchronized with the timed ctf plugin.
but if you know how please tell me.
right now the shot clock is only a picture. and thank you for your support A Distraction! :)

oh yeah what is choppy the floor or the shot clock pic?
I am just speculating as to how to handle the shot clock, but you may be able to use draw-info. A texture matrix that is constantly moving the texture (a really tall or long texture with all the numbers you need on it) in one direction so that all the numbers are eventually shown may also work, I can't fully explain this, so I will attach a diagram of this idea. Both are quite complicated. Does anyone else have any ideas?

And by choppy, I was referring to the floor. The textures look a bit stretched, and the BZFlag logo doesn't blend very well. Maybe if you just had the black region of the logo it would look better.
Ha You Got Shot By Me wrote:WHAT! then why does is it called quol's soccer league?
Because Quol's server is where the league games are held.
allejo
Breaker of Builds
Breaker of Builds

Post by allejo »

ok that makes sense. the only thing is how am i going to be able to make all the pics be the same as the actual timer? my pics will be of won't they?

and how do you make the different pictures move?
Triumph of the Soul
Corporal
Corporal

You can use the shift or fixedshift function of a texture matrix to make the texture move. There is no way to automatically synchronize the rate at which the texture moves to a Timed CTF plugin. You would have to do it manually; by trial and error, unless you could somehow figure out the ratio of texture moved per one second right away. This is definitely possible, but would be quite tedious. Draw-info may have the advantage here, but alas, delving into the field of draw-info, it is not wise for me to give you advice.

Also, here's some info on the Timed CTF plugin.
allejo
Breaker of Builds
Breaker of Builds

Post by allejo »

but if i add more pics wouldn't take longer to load and make it laggy?
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

Ha You Got Shot By Me wrote:but if i add more pics wouldn't take longer to load and make it laggy?
It will take longer to load, but just slightly and probably not noticably. Textures, should not make a server laggy at all. Things like the number of faces on a mesh and the number of objects can and do make servers seem laggy (players get low frame counts and depending on their video card may induce real lag for them) but do not actually make a server laggy.
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
allejo
Breaker of Builds
Breaker of Builds

Post by allejo »

Ok it will not be laggy. I can make it timed CTF. But I don't understand how I will be able to make the time pictures move. Because look at this there are 12 minutes in a basketball game, and that is how i have it here. Ok so there are 60 seconds in every minute. so that gives me 60 pictures just so it will be one minute! and there are 12 minutes!
x12
___
____
so 720 different texture just for a shoot clock! and i have six shoot clock pictures in my map
_____
pictures in one map! oh and i forgot the floor.
4360+1=4361
4361 pictures in one map. Do you think it is going to load normally? and are you sure that won't make the map laggy?
Winny
Grouchy
Grouchy

Post by Winny »

You can have one picture that scrolls.

Make one (or two) 1024x64 images and have the numbers 1 to 60 on them (or across both in the case of using two).

Then you can use the same texture for the minutes and seconds column.
allejo
Breaker of Builds
Breaker of Builds

Post by allejo »

interesting idea i hadn't thought about that! now how do i make it so the pictures rotate?
allejo
Breaker of Builds
Breaker of Builds

Post by allejo »

textureMatrix
name example_texmat
scale 0.0 0.0 1.0 1.0 # u/v freqs, u/v scales
spin 0.0 # rotation freq
shift 0.0 0.0 # u/v freqs
center 0.5 0.5 # dynamic u/v center (for spin and scale)
fixedscale 0.0 0.0 # time invariant u/v scale
fixedspin 0.0 # time invariant rotation
fixedshift 0.0 0.0 # time invariant u/v shift
end
i know this is what i use but how do i use it?

oh yeah one more thing how do i use the timedctf plugin and how do i test it out?
Triumph of the Soul
Corporal
Corporal

Ha You Got Shot By Me wrote:
textureMatrix
name example_texmat
scale 0.0 0.0 1.0 1.0 # u/v freqs, u/v scales
spin 0.0 # rotation freq
shift 0.0 0.0 # u/v freqs
center 0.5 0.5 # dynamic u/v center (for spin and scale)
fixedscale 0.0 0.0 # time invariant u/v scale
fixedspin 0.0 # time invariant rotation
fixedshift 0.0 0.0 # time invariant u/v shift
end
i know this is what i use but how do i use it?
You won't need any of that stuff except for "fixedshift", "center" and possibly "fixedscale". Set the fixedshift to "X 0". I can't tell you what to set X (the horizontal component) to because I don't know the size of the texture you are using. You will just have to play around with it until you get it right. You will use 0 for the vertical component because you don't want the texture to move up or down. Set center to wherever the numbers you want to start at are. Play around with the fixedscale until you get the right size. So in the end, you will have something like this:
textureMatrix
name scoreboard
center X Y
fixedscale X Y
fixedshift X 0
end
Ha You Got Shot By Me wrote:oh yeah one more thing how do i use the timedctf plugin and how do i test it out?
I already gave you a link with some info on the Timed CTF plugin, but here is is again.
allejo
Breaker of Builds
Breaker of Builds

Post by allejo »

i know i already saw the wiki but i meant to ask do i put it under options or where?
-loadplugin <path>timedctf,12
but what do i put for for path and how do i start the countdown?
and thanks for the help with the shoot clock.
Triumph of the Soul
Corporal
Corporal

You could either put in the options section of your map file, or in your server configuration file. The path is wherever the plugin is on your computer. Timed CTF is included in the install directory of BZFlag version 2.0.10. On Windows, for example, this path is "C:\Program Files\BZFlag 2.0.10\". I don't know where it is on Linux or Mac OSX, but it isn't hard to find. If you are using a version of BZFLag earlier than 2.0.10, I don't remember if Timed CTF is included, so you may have to get it from SVN.

Countdown starts automatically with the start of the game. The server commands to stop or start the timing are "/tctfoff" and "/tctfon". Another thing to consider is that the Timed CTF plugin was designed for games in which the teams try to capture each other's flags. If both teams are trying to capture the same flag (like in a basketball game), I don't know how you would implement it.
0BullzEye0
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by 0BullzEye0 »

im up for it to help you in your attempts but as Winny was the first to say its arare that leagues last.but yes ill support you.including that i have alot of teamates im the leader of Graveyard Gang.
"leadership comes with a responsibility.not an act of narrow-mindedness,or heroism.so that you be wise in your doings"
-Cheif LaGuerre
allejo
Breaker of Builds
Breaker of Builds

Post by allejo »

Um Chief la Guerre...
Do You have a server to host my map or the capability of starting a new league for me? And are you willing to help me set everything to is going to go with my map? i really appreciate your help. Pm me or email me, so we can try to start this project!
Destroyer
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Destroyer »

Maybe i could host the map for u ;)