Discussions about the various leagues
UNICORN
Private
Private

Post by UNICORN »

ducatiwannabe wrote:
Hannelnaar wrote:Cool,
10 USA vs 10 Europe right?
That is correct. Players are members of the BZFlag GU League. You can google it to find the website.
Yes i know.
Im member too.
But i'm bad to play :(
llrr
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by llrr »

hmm if we could just get enough aussies and nz players. then we could have another competition called The Laggers vs The Rest, that's what you'd call fun ^^
quantum dot
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by quantum dot »

Last year (first ever Riker Cup edition actually) was organized as follows:

1) One captain for each side are picked by the GU League admins among the most well known and experienced players in the league. Last year these were Iggy for EU and Orbit for America. They invite a number of around 20 players to participate for each side and do the preparations, whatever they wish to do with their team: talks about tactics, who does what in the match, strategy, timing, dates, etc. The two Captains decide the dates, times, servers, etc.

2) Only invited players are in principle able to join the matches. Understand that this is a cup planned as a showing for the best of the two continents. It would be unfair if "anyone" could join at will because of the balance of the match would be affected. However, many of the "best" invited players are unable to make it for some of the matches and observers could have a chance to participate. Last year, many not invited players had a chance to participate.

3) The cup is played as the best of 5 matches if I remember correctly. The first team to score 3 victories is declared the winner. Matches are played on GU official servers alternating both sides of the Atlantic.

These simple steps were the basic procedure last year and given the success it had I would propose to follow exactly the same algorithm.

Edit: Correction1 , the cup winner is the best of 3 matches
Correction 2, EU team was led by Saturos, and not Iggy.
Last edited by quantum dot on Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dexter
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dexter »

As far as I know it was best out of 3 matches, since Europe won the first two and they decided not to play another. But that isn't very important ^^

I completely agree that we should follow the same steps due to the success of last years cup. I hope we can work something out with Doink, he's been a little busy lately so I haven't been able to talk to him yet.
red-der
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by red-der »

I think it is not possible for all the best players to take part in the pre-match. Some have other things to do or have no time.
On the other hand, every team leader has his favorite "players" (maybe longtime friends), who are not really the "best" players, only above average. Or they play long enough to belong to "certain" friendship circles.

I recommend the following:

The 2 team leaders pick the 4 or 5 most valuable players in their opinion and the rest has to go through the prematch. That gives new players who really wanna be part and do their best for it a chance. Not every skilled player is a good team player.

Otherwise it sounds more like: My favorite friends against yours. And that not what we want - at least I hope so. We want the best european team against the best US team.

Maybe a little offtopic:

Is there a way to watch the matches from the last time? Replay server or matches?
quantum dot
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by quantum dot »

red-der wrote:I think it is not possible for all the best players to take part in the pre-match. Some have other things to do or have no time.
On the other hand, every team leader has his favorite "players" (maybe longtime friends), who are not really the "best" players, only above average. Or they play long enough to belong to "certain" friendship circles.

I recommend the following:

The 2 team leaders pick the 4 or 5 most valuable players in their opinion and the rest has to go through the prematch. That gives new players who really wanna be part and do their best for it a chance. Not every skilled player is a good team player.

Otherwise it sounds more like: My favorite friends against yours. And that not what we want - at least I hope so. We want the best european team against the best US team.

Maybe a little offtopic:

Is there a way to watch the matches from the last time? Replay server or matches?
I dont have idea what your knowledge of GU League is since I do not recognize you as a regular of our league, but I can assure you the following: you might have certain discussion regarding if player A is better than B, however if you got to select the top 20-25 players for each side of the ocean the discussion is almost over. Their names are on the minds of any GU regular.

The two captains will be chosen for their well known sport and experience. They will not be the of the kind pick_my_friends_first. That is out of question, but thanks for your concerns.

PS: all GU matches are recorded and all servers have an associated replay port, usually 5159.
red-der
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by red-der »

@quantum dot: First of all, thanks for your answer. You are right, I am new to GU League and play it only for 3 weeks - but on a daily basis now. GU is addictive ;-)

In my posting I adressed two things:

If you read my posting carefully, you see that Im not saying the two leaders are picking their friends first.
The match is: The 10 best players of US vs Europe, so I cant pick the 20 or 25 best players from Europe/ US each, btw that would be nearly a fifth or fourth of all GU League players, and if you subtract the non-US/EU and not active players, ...

I did not want to start a discussion whether the team leaders are trustworthy - I am convinced they are - and what their criterias for selecting will be. Otherwise playing here would make no sense. I believe in sportmanship and play this way.

Maybe you as a long time GU player see it a little different, but I am in a new team and we - and other new players talked about the Rykers Cup and some told me their concernings.
They are new to GU and so they think they have no chance to take part in it, no matter if they are sub par or really skilled. And you give the reason for this by your statement: "...Their names are on the minds of any GU regular..."
What is with the new ones, who arent on the minds? Not every GU-Hero or long time player watches the newbie-matches.
I dont want to take part in the Rikers Cup, because I have no time for it and I need at least on more year of playing to learn skills and tactics. But I can follow these concerns.

And the second and main thing was the prematch.
As i said, not every one of the top players has time to take part in it . ("...There will be a pre-match date where all players willing to play [u]have to show up.[/u]:...") Therefore I suggested to preselect 4 or 5, so you have a good team.
---

>>all GU matches are recorded and all servers have an associated replay port, usually 5159>>
Thanks but I know this. To learn some tactics, I watched some (more like 20 or 30) matches the last days. But I dont know where to find the Rykers Cup matches. It would be nice and interesting for others, on what map they played and when; maybe a Link to these records would be of interest for others, too.
quantum dot
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by quantum dot »

@red-der: taking into account that you have been 3 weeks with us in GU you seem to know well the league, which is good. You are right in the sense that new (say less than 6 months) players might not be invited because they are hardly known to the community. However, they might be able to jump in the day the match is actually played as I explained.

Also let me say that watching the cup is also very exciting. Last year we had a full house and many more obvs slots had to be added for the event. You do not need to really play to feel you are participating. Any obv is a potential sub.
Saturos
Art Master General
Art Master General

Post by Saturos »

I've just uploaded the two replays from the last RikerCup (third match was never played). You can find them here:

www.phago.de/tmp/rikercup-bzf.rec
www.phago.de/tmp/rikercup-quol.rec

Download and put them into a folder. Then find your bzfs-executable und run it with the following parameters:

Code: Select all

bzfs -replay -recdir /path/to/the/replays/folder/ -passwd lol
Open BZFlag, select "localhost" as server and 5154 as port - then hit "Join Game". You might be at a ducati-style map now. First identify with "/password lol" (notice the @ next to your name), get the replay list with "/replay list", load and play one of the recordings. Your BZFlag might crash if you dont rejoin after loading the recording.

---

A few thoughts about the RikerCup from my side:

- Let's drop the pre-match thing... nobody I have talked to sees the purpose and imo it just overcomplicates the whole process. Last time it worked almost perfectly, so I dont see the reason to change anything.

- Let's decide on a date as soon as possible.

- I like the idea of having two captains... I've led the euro team (which was basically just picking players and giving a few tactical instructions in the beginning - during the match we were just 10 equal players) last time and a few people were envious that I didnt choose them for the team... so being able to decide stuff like that together with a second player really makes everything easier. I'd love to organize the euro team again, maybe together with kris or Zelgadis.

I would vote for a date somewhen in January for the first match and tend to prefer a Friday over a Saturday. I've tried to contact Doink last week, but we both realized we were too busy to discuss at that time.

Hoping to get a few minutes with him this week.
ts
Dev Monkey
Dev Monkey

Post by ts »

Saturos wrote:- Let's drop the pre-match thing... nobody I have talked to sees the purpose and imo it just overcomplicates the whole process. Last time it worked almost perfectly, so I dont see the reason to change anything.
Yes, it's useless. Nothing guarantees the same players will be there in both "pre"-match and "real" match. Imagine discussing at a game server with like 30 people around. I want to see the one who can read every single message and talk to all of them. ;)

Rather pick a date and a time then let's see who could play and choose some players.
GU league: http://www.guleague.org/
An introduction to TCP: http://www.lafkon.net/tc/
red-der
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by red-der »

That was my point too. Its hard to get a bunch of players at one date together AND only preselecting from these wouldnt be the best solution.

But why not something prematch like to get a little practise? Not to select the players, but so the players could warm up a little? And that would be fun for us noobish beginners too! ;-)
dexter
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dexter »

Ok, ok. There's been a big misunderstanding. Doink never meant to do a pre-meet-up thing. Forget that! :)

The two leaders will pick the 10 best for their team on the day of the match. Everyone willing to participate will just have to show up on the day of the match, perhaps an hour or so ahead so the leaders will have time to get their team together. The players will be chosen right before the match is played.

By doing it this way we want to make sure everyone who is picked will actually show up and we won't have to look for lots of subs on short notice and keep things a little less chaotic.

The website will be updated shortly: http://bzpro.net/rikercup/

I apologize for all the confusion.
Knox
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Knox »

Still pretty good preparation!
red-der
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by red-der »

Yeah. However. At least the folks thought and talked about it. Thats a good start.

Can we have a date or so for - call it what you want: pre- / training- / info- / funmatch? So that the people interested in this can play together in a 10 vs 10. Not an "you must be there" more like an "you can be there and have fun". Just to get a feeling for that.

To get that much players together, a date and time is really needed to be anounced in the forum or on another "official" place. Most of the time, there arent enough players online or ready for such a thing.
And for such a pre- / training- / funmatch, there is no need to seperate the players in EU and USA. Just a bunch (more like 20 or so) players having a little fun.
slime
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by slime »

red-der wrote:Can we have a date or so for - call it what you want: pre- / training- / info- / funmatch? So that the people interested in this can play together in a 10 vs 10. Not an "you must be there" more like an "you can be there and have fun". Just to get a feeling for that.
This thread is for discussing the Riker Cup. If you want to organize a 10vs10 funmatch where everyone can participate, you can create another thread. Like dex said, the pre-match for the Riker Cup won't be happening.
red-der
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by red-der »

I know that the topic is the Riker Cup and my posting was in relation to this.
Not everyone interested in taking part has played the last time. So I thought this would be a good chance for the new participants to get a little practise playing in such a crowd and see how its like and It would maybe help the team leaders choose or to test some things.

Its nearly an impossible mission to get that much players together to play, and it makes no sense if I start a thread to make a funmatch. So if interest is in such a thing, it has to be in context to the Riker Cup.
ducatiwannabe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducatiwannabe »

Well, with this update, the system sound great to me. I look forward to knowing the date/time. ;) Thx doink, dex, and all else involved.
dexter
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dexter »

red-der wrote:I know that the topic is the Riker Cup and my posting was in relation to this.
Not everyone interested in taking part has played the last time. So I thought this would be a good chance for the new participants to get a little practise playing in such a crowd and see how its like and It would maybe help the team leaders choose or to test some things.

Its nearly an impossible mission to get that much players together to play, and it makes no sense if I start a thread to make a funmatch. So if interest is in such a thing, it has to be in context to the Riker Cup.
You have a point and I think it'd be cool to get a 10vs10 fm going just as practice. At the moment however, I'd just like to focus on getting the RikerCup together. This thing takes a lot of organizing and I think it's best we don't try to set-up another event quite like it and get people confused. Maybe we'll come back to this AFTER the cup... just my opinion.
Kenshin-old
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Kenshin-old »

i still think the 10 starts with 5+ subs should be picked in advance. even if the 10 starters don't show up the subs would be able to cover it. hopefully this well cover what red said about picking friends which would be more likely to happen on the spot under the influence on one person. we picked in advance last year and it worked fine why not just do the same thing again?
The Doink
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by The Doink »

I totally had no idea this form existed until just now. Thanks to everyone for their input, I don't have enough time to address all the concerns and ideas, but I assure you it will work out awesomely :)
snick
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by snick »

dexter wrote:With "America" I'm talking about North America, Canada and South America, which is how it was last time too?
Yes, plate tectonics is a slow affair.
dexter
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dexter »

snick wrote:
dexter wrote:With "America" I'm talking about North America, Canada and South America, which is how it was last time too?
You're not gonna be playing in 25 million years?!
snick
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by snick »

dexter wrote:
snick wrote:
You're not gonna be playing in 25 million years?!
Feels like it already :)
dexter
Private First Class
Private First Class

It's official!

Post by dexter »

Ok guys, after a couple weeks of arrangements, Doink has announced that the Riker Cup is taking place!

Quick Information:

When: Jan 3rd, 2009
Time: Undecided
Where: bzf.guleague.org Port: 5158
Who: The top 10 euro and american players
Captains:
America: Orbit, The Doink
European: Saturos, Zelgadis

As stated, the Riker Cup will be a 10vs10 fun match, each team comprised of the 10 best players from each side of the planet. Who will play on the team? That will be decided by the pair of captains for each team. Players will be chosen based on attitude, skill, teamwork, performance in large matches, and whatever else the team captains deem "important". Players will be chosen immediately prior to the match, this is a BIG difference from last year. No player is "for sure" until the match actually starts. And yes, it's still 2 out of 3 matches. (I just copied that from Doink's news post on the GU League site.)

The website is up to date if you need to review any information/rules
you can do that HERE.

Stay tuned and hope you'll be able to make it! 3rd of January
lep
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by lep »

I am glad to here that the Ricker Cup is underway. As I was reading all the posts, I became more interested.

Thank you to dexii and The Doink...

dexii can u post the names of the two teams when they are picked?

thanks
lep