A few thoughts, some history, and more

Discussions about the various leagues
Valoche
Private First Class
Private First Class

A few thoughts, some history, and more

Post by Valoche »

Hi there.

It's been so long since I showed up, I can't remember when...
If you wondered, I'm still working on the new league site, along with other stuff from real life.

I have decided the following things, lemme know if that's a problem:
- the league forums are past. I'll link here, it would be a nonsense to have forums everywhere, and disturbing for the players.
- I'll just implement what had already been done in the current league site, with more (ahem... "more" :lol-old:) robust code, easier to maintain and extend.
- I'll try to not specialize the site into CTF gamestyle anymore (there will still be support for them, but not only). We'll have 3 rankings:
Team CTF Ranking
Team FFA Ranking
Personal Ranking (FFA, all rogues)

When everything's done, the site will be released to CVS, and I'll step back until I'm in the mood of playing BZflag again.
Here is why:
I started playing BZflag can't remember when, my callsign was then "Profesional Target", then "Valoche, Profesional Target", then just "Valoche". Valoche is how everyone calls me, it's the diminutive of my real first name, Valéry. Anyway... I began hacking the code and releasing little cosmetic patches in July 2001, not too long ago as you can see :) Chestal and I organized a tournament in October of the same year, it was a great fun, I even made a T-Shirt for Blaster, who had won the contest, and sent it abroad. Great fun it was :D
So I continued to play, and created the league site, and everything was going fine. Then came the 10 shots servers, which is IMHO stupid, not fun, lag generator and so on. The only big problem is that most players effectively join these servers, so there were no good server to play on (except the old, famous ones), so I started to play less.
Then began all the whining everyone knows about; it's not a big deal in itself, but somehow it became some kind of fight for honnor, and that I do not like, so I began to feel being part of the community less and less.
Now the only thing that keeps me posting here and working on the site is that I sort of made a moral commitment to the BZflag community, giving it all up would kind of be against my personal ethics :roll: (don't worry I'm anything BUT ironic :wink: ).

That it, I think I've said enough for now. Expect me coming back in the future, but not now. And BTW, the new league site won't be released in early December 2002, because it's in the past :wink: I think that mid February would be much more realistic.

Cya
Valoche
Spaceman Spiff

:-)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Well, Valoche, I don't know you personally.. but you seem nice. I'm glad that the league site is taking a turn to FFA as well... that will be really great. :) I hope that you do come back and play!!! I've heard about a lot of the "older" BZ players and how cool they are... and I think that it's a shame that any of them would feel like they should leave the community. Anywayz... I really appriciate the league site! Keep up the good work! *pats on the back* :)
Fiberchunks
Administrator
Administrator

Valoche...

Post by Fiberchunks »

Good stuff, and thanks for your hard work in the past (and future).

If you would like any sort of support from this forum, just let me know. I'll be more than happy to help out (adding forums, creating an entire league category, etc.)

Hope to see you again soon :)

Peace
Dervish
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Dervish »

Hey Valoche!! Long time no see. ;)

So, mr. french frog, thank you for dedicating the time to help get FFA started! :D
protected object myTank(){
foreach(noob in this.game){return frag(noob);}}
ski
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ski »

Hey!! Yeah, I was wondering whatever happened to ya after not seein you for a while. I appreciate all the work you have put forth for BZ and I hope to see ya around again soon :)
Rest In Peace Vivek
1986-2005 :(

------------------------------
Member of DUB

Visit: Image
Valoche
Private First Class
Private First Class

Thanks for being supportive

Post by Valoche »

Hi dudes,
I'm touched by your supportive posts.
Don't worry I do not want to leave the community, just to step back for a while.

Fiberchunks, what would be great will be to use your site for registration: when a player registers on your site, it will be automagically registered with the league site, and I'll give up with the registration stuff on the league site (am I clear?).
I send your a pvt message to explain things better and discuss internal stuff.

Thanks again.
Valoche
Fiberchunks
Administrator
Administrator

no problem...

Post by Fiberchunks »

As I'm relatively new to how the internals of this site works, etc. It will take some time, I'm sure -- but I would be more than happy to offer any support I can.

I look forward to interacting with you :)

Peace
SGI
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by SGI »

The JEDI OF BZFlag is back

Good Idea again........
BTW any tank check anymore on CTF League.........
Really disappointed.
Terminator
Private First Class
Private First Class

Website sounds good (and a bad idea)

Post by Terminator »

Hey Valoche new website sounds great can't wait till its done, sounds very cool 8) .

I have one pretty bad idea but since i never said an idea anwhere heck I might aswell sart now. I was thinking you could have handicap matches like 3 vs 2 if like BZ:Evolved (My team and we are not that good) went agaisnt The Moles and obviously The Moles would only acept challenge if they wanted to play handicap.
Astalavista baby!

and I'll be back!
Chestal
Dev Guru
Dev Guru

Post by Chestal »

Handicapped matched are an interesting idea, but the obvious problem is how to quantify it. If you'd propose a 3 vs 2 match, the bigger team obviously has a huge advantage, but how huge exactly.
Terminator
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Terminator »

chestal i understand what u mean. but if it were say the moles vs BZ:Evolved then it would make us about equal or even maybe u would still be better, i thought it could just be used if like one of the better teams wanted a challenge agaisnt a not so good one so the compotion ends up about equal.

Terminator
Astalavista baby!

and I'll be back!
Chestal
Dev Guru
Dev Guru

Post by Chestal »

As I said, Terminator, it is an interesting idea. But if we want to use it, we must have a way to integrate it with the ratings system, and right now I would have no clue how to do that.
Terminator
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Terminator »

ah i see where u are coming from. if u won u would have to get more points than usuall and we would have to loose more, and if we won we would have to get less points than usuall and u would have to loose less points than usuall. i agree thats complicated, in fact i am not even sure if what i wrote made any sense.

Terminator
Astalavista baby!

and I'll be back!