pillbox league now with ricochet

Discussions about the various leagues
deviltank
Private First Class
Private First Class

pillbox league now with ricochet

Post by deviltank »

As the current pillbox style isnt`t attracting any interest since ages we are now experimenting with a new gameplay. Therefore ricochet has been added to [bzpro.net :: 60001].

The gameplay now is definetely much faster and more challenging. Nevertheless it definetely needs to be balanced.

Basic ideas would be a larger map and and less (or only one) bounce(s) for the ricochet. Also possible would be slight changings of the map itself.

Please try it out and tell me your thoughts.

What we won`t do:
2 shots, ricochet, no jumping (thats ducati);
3 shots, ricochet, jumping (thats gu);
totally different map (thats a new league, not pillbox)
random teleporters, world weapons, superflags... (thats nothing for a league)
make it FFA instead of CTF (same reason as above)

We are happy about every feedback!

dt
Bambino
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: pillbox league now with ricochet

Post by Bambino »

Now I am interested. The corner stand-offs were a love / hate relationship for me, now I can rico :D

Awesome, good job guys.
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -- Albert Einstein
GU League | Ducati League | OpenLeague
Abominable
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Abominable »

I've always liked to original pillbox.
Pillbox trains you for your basic, intermediate, and advanced ground, no jumping, dodge skills. Which is perfect for GU training.
Play pillbox for a few months, you'll be an animal at GU and almost anything else in my eyes.
dexter
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dexter »

Not really, imo. Knowing rico's is an essential part of GU.. all the dodging is for nothing if you aren't used to ricos.
Saturos
Art Master General
Art Master General

Post by Saturos »

I dont see why some people always try to put every map in relation with GU. I mean, we feel honored that hix seems to be recognized as the prime map of BZ, but seriously: You dont play pillbox to get "perfect [...] GU training". You play pillbox because it is a fun map, in itself. It has nothing to do with GU.
However, if you wanna get better in GU, I recommend playing GU. Plain and simple. Pillbox isnt good GU-training, neither is ducati. Pillbox might give you good dodging (but even that is debatable, because it doesnt have ricos and dodging ricos is by far harder than escaping straight shots), but you wont learn how to shoot ricos or jump. Ducati has ricos, but it still lacks the jumping part and one doesnt get a feeling for the perfect triple shot.
These three setups are so dramatically different that its just pointless to say X makes you better at Y. X makes you better at X and Y makes you better at Y. At least that is how I always experienced it.
Zac
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zac »

well put satu *claps saturos*
deviltank
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by deviltank »

The test now is over (almost) without any good feedback and the discussion in this thread is getting off-topic. The test server has been removed and there will be no changings in the pb style.
There is an interesting idea about a new open league with pb style, but more about that another time.