Quickshot league

Discussions about the various leagues
ZE BOZZ
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Quickshot league

Post by ZE BOZZ »

Ok. I'll talk with PP about it. The Quickshot servers are going through some renovations at the moment. Once that is complete we can get a feel for the new maps and start from there.
•• •• •• •• ••
"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens." - J.R.R. Tolkien
Kenshin
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Kenshin »

Again, I wasn't trying to be offensive, but merely give a realistic account of why hix players don't tend to play other maps as often. Sure, ZE BOZZ, there are some talented players around. However, they are not talented in the same way. They tend to be good at sniping with lasers or on maps with 5+ shots they've plugged in enough fire keys to make dodging difficult. If you took away superflags, I'm not sure you could find any player on other maps that could come close to competing with a top-level GU player. I'd love to be proved wrong on this one, but I've played around a bit and have yet to find one that can.

As for quickshot, Kess, I have played it many a time. It is very different from GU, but it still isn't exactly a big challenge to get to the top of the leaderboard on a public server. I disagree that dodging exists at all in quickshot. You can guess where your opponent is going to shoot and move, but that isn't dodging but rather making an educated guess. Once the bullet comes out you essentially have no time to react. Were it to become a league then I have no doubt it would be practiced and the skill level would go well beyond where I could compete, but I think you'll have a very hard time attracting enough players for that to become the case. Again, I wish you the best of luck with that. It would be an interesting the strategies employed in the current leagues
ZE BOZZ
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ZE BOZZ »

If you took away superflags, I'm not sure you could find any player on other maps that could come close to competing with a top-level GU player. I'd love to be proved wrong on this one, but I've played around a bit and have yet to find one that can.
Again you seem to have missed the point. It's not at all about who's the best at their own game or who will beat who. It's about trying new things and excelling in the different play-styles this awesome game has to offer. It's about having fun and getting better and HAVING FUN doing it! Get out of the bubble. Every playstyle is not the same. You may be able to beat someone on hix but, "Billy Bob" could totally pwn you Urban Jungle. It doesn't matter and as I said before: it's not the point. If I were "Billy Bob" I would play hix more and get better at it so I can be more of a competitor to reckon with and not someone who simple despises the maps he's not good at right off the bat or that take effort. You should do the same with other maps.

The fact is that maps without Super Flags are a vast minority. So stripping a player that is used to playing with them and putting him up against someone who never plays with them at all is not an accurate test of his skill in the slightest. It simply doesn't make sense. Likewise the other way around. Putting a good GU/Ducati player up against someone that's decent with Super Flags and seeing who wins is, in the same way, not an accurate description of the GU/Ducati players skills. And not all players are huge Laser snipers either. Lasers are easy to use. Even a hix player can use them without much experience. You just aim and fire. The only real danger is of shooting yourself (among other technicalities).

Get out and try some other maps and learn the different ropes. Likewise those who don't play in the leagues. The road to becoming a better player is testing yourself in different environments and seeing how you react and how you can improve. There are skills to learn in both.
As for quickshot, Kess, I have played it many a time.
As for dodging on Quickshot... Honestly, I have never seen you play there and I play there more than most, to say the least, so I'm not sure what you mean by that. Dodging there may be different but nonetheless it is most certainly dodging. I give you for your reading and viewing pleasure: Vigil. Vigil is one of the many good players on Quickshot and one from whom I have learned a lot and even surpassed to some extent. ;) On Quickshot the spawns tend to be in the randomest places and as PP says in his server message "You must shoot and react quickly to survive" Many times you will spawn with your back to the enemy or at the very least displaying yourself broadside. As soon as you spawn you are an instant target. There is a technique very little known to BZ players that works perfectly for this instance. It's called dodging. On Quickshot especially it takes A LOT of practice. You have to dodge and cut back and forth, while slowly turning around to face your enemy and jam a bullet up his muzzle. All the while having bullets being fired at you from all over. This is best demonstrated in live action and it is by no means easy to perform. That is probably why you have deemed it "not dodging" rather,
making an educated guess.
Vigil does a similar move as well. He will, instead of hiding around the corner of a building, drive out sideways and slowly work his way around to face you, all the while dodging your shots and ultimately killing you. Fortunately for me I have been able to learn from him, and others who are good at it, and master it myself. There is always more to learn. All this to say, you should really try to get some more experience and actually try it for yourself before you pronounce judgement.

Im not saying it's easy. Nothing worth having or learning is easy at first. Nor is learning a new play-style or trying a new map. But it's worth it.
•• •• •• •• ••
"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens." - J.R.R. Tolkien