Quickshot league

Discussions about the various leagues
Kesslar
Private First Class
Private First Class

Quickshot league

Post by Kesslar »

Hello all, I was thinking that it would be fun to form a quickshot league...kind of like the GU league...but for quickshot. What do you all think?
tw1sted
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Quickshot league

Post by tw1sted »

To be honest, there aren't enough active players to even maintain the current leagues. A new league most likely wouldn't be able to draw enough activity to survive.

If you are serious about making a quickshot league, however, there's a lot of planning that needs to be done, such as coordinating match servers, hosting a league website, finding suitable admins, etc. There are definitely people willing to help you out if you look hard enough, though.
Kesslar
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Kesslar »

Yeah...I and another friend have been talking about this all, mr64bit is going to host the map and i have some good ideas for admins, Um...mr64bit...would you also be able to host the league website?

Anyone with ideas or comments would be great, since there aren't many active quickshot players here on the forms, I am going to make a poster and Purple panzer has said that he would put the poster on his quickshot map.
mr64bit
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by mr64bit »

I can HOST it, but not design it. Depends on what you're thinking. If it's a blog you want, I can do that. If you're thinking something like the GU league site, that's waaaay beyond my web designer skills. But I could still host it if given the code.
---mr64bit
tw1sted
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by tw1sted »

The GU League website (and others) uses bz-owl, which is open source. Take a peek: https://code.google.com/p/bz-owl/
Kesslar
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Kesslar »

I don't know what i would want if i am going to put up a website, would i want a website like unto the GU website, or would a blog just do fine?

also...since i don't really know a whole lot about all of this...I mean i am willing to organize this all and try to get things going...but all the tec stuff I am not good enough for any of it lol...anyone want to help me out with that problem...? lol
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Sounds like you don't really have it thought out and are hoping that everyone else does the work for you, hmm?
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

tw1sted
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by tw1sted »

Kesslar wrote:I don't know what i would want if i am going to put up a website, would i want a website like unto the GU website, or would a blog just do fine?
If you want to allow matches to be reported, users to register, teams to be created, etc, then I would definitely go with the bz-owl project I linked before.
kierra
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by kierra »

kesslar: check the ducati site http://league.bzflag.net for what osta's done with ts' gu site code.
"Sometimes people try to expose what's wrong with you, because they can't handle what's right about you."
"Measure your words -- they determine the distance of your relationships"
"If serving is beneath you, leadership is beyond ypu."
Kesslar
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Kesslar »

would i want to have website like unto that website? I don't know what kind of website we would want for this...

Ok, just so you all know what i am thinking, we would have something like what is going on in the GU league, so you would have teams and you would have to register to spawn on the map and there would be fm and offi matches, is that what you guys were thinking? I know there is some question as to weather bzflag would be able to support another league...but the people who play quickshot, don't normally play hix, (unless you're me...but I am very bad lol).
tw1sted
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by tw1sted »

Kesslar wrote:would i want to have website like unto that website? I don't know what kind of website we would want for this...
It's your league, that's really up to you. If you want functionality similar to the GU and Ducati League websites, then the bz-owl project is probably a good choice.

Kesslar wrote:Ok, just so you all know what i am thinking, we would have something like what is going on in the GU league, so you would have teams and you would have to register to spawn on the map and there would be fm and offi matches, is that what you guys were thinking?
The GU league uses a group on these forums to manage spawn privileges. A similar setup will probably work for what you suggested.
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

OK.. there are a couple of things that might have to be addressed...

Has anyone gotten permission to use the map you seem to love? Or has it been released on some sort of license that allows it's use? I see he said he would put a poster, but I don't see anything about rights to the map in the discussion. Another issue, but you seem to realize it already, the league cannot be on the same server as the current map (it is my server). You will need to find a different host for the league map.
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
Kesslar
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Kesslar »

joevano wrote:OK.. there are a couple of things that might have to be addressed...

Has anyone gotten permission to use the map you seem to love? Or has it been released on some sort of license that allows it's use? I see he said he would put a poster, but I don't see anything about rights to the map in the discussion. Another issue, but you seem to realize it already, the league cannot be on the same server as the current map (it is my server). You will need to find a different host for the league map.
I have pm purple panzer and asked his permission, he has offered me anything that i need or want. Yes, i recognize that i need it on another server and i have found someone (mr64bit) who is willing to host this map and the website as well.
zel
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by zel »

want to voice my support for this... I am a web developer by day, so I can help with the website. Have built several maps, none very good, but can help in that respect, too. Also run several servers, and can host (or mirror, if mr64 has hosting). PM me and let's start plotting.
Kesslar
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Kesslar »

zel, we could use some help with the web designing.

Also...how good is your server? What are the specs? mr64bit has a server and he could host it, but it would probably be slower because it is about 8 years old. Depending on what country you are in you could for sure mirror the map...
Snake12534
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Snake12534 »

Kesslar, I like how you try hard to accomplish having a quick shot league. I would like to say one thing, they are leagues that are currently needing help such as the GU League or Ducati League. All other leagues are dead. Sure, some people might play it for a day or two and then come back to the active leagues. So how can you make this a popular league?

Also as tw1sted mentioned, the GU League itself is not as active as before... By alot. The Ducati League is close to extinction, I think people should focus on those first.

I also mentioned a recruiting system in this forum.
retired
Kesslar
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Kesslar »

snake12534, the quickshot players...some of those players are pretty hard core quickshot players, it is true that quickshot players are not as active on the forms...but they are pretty active on the map, I don't know if you have noticed, but if you look in the server list...the quickshot map is almost always up there...I have talked to a lot of the better players of the quickshot map, (nayslayer, zel, r2d1, ze bozz, the old crow...etc and they all love the idea...now, i did ask purple panzer about putting a poster up on his map and he said that he would be willing to put it up for me.

um...actually i'd say that the GU league is more popular than it's been in two years...lol...also...i'd love to help in the GU league...i just don't know what i can do...

thank you for that, but i can't find that form lol...could i get the link...?
ZE BOZZ
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ZE BOZZ »

I'd be willing to help in any way I can. I play quickshot almost every day and I love it and the really great folks that play as well! Contrary to popular opinion, I believe a quickshot league would do surprisingly well if it is properly organized and managed. We have one of the best player bases in the game. If this idea could be well organized I assure you it would be a huge success. Quickshot is also a extremely player friendly map with great game play and argueably even better chat, which is one of Purple Panzer's main goals for his server which I find admirable. He has no-nonsense Admins like myself that are serious about the game and serious about making it as fun and enjoyable as possible! That in itself increases the popularity of the server(s). These attributes would most certainly carry over to a league if well managed. I would be willing to help in any way I can and I know many others will as well.

Finally, among the list of quickshot "greats" Sniper752, Vigil and HoRToN should most certainly be added :)
•• •• •• •• ••
"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens." - J.R.R. Tolkien
toxic_AVINGIR
Private
Private

Post by toxic_AVINGIR »

Where can i join the quick shoot league? I looked online but nobody was playing anywhere but one place and only a few were there.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

toxic_AVINGIR wrote:Where can i join the quick shoot league? I looked online but nobody was playing anywhere but one place and only a few were there.
It doesn't yet exist. This topic was discussing the possibility of creating such a league.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Kesslar
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Kesslar »

The reason we never went through with this league was because of 3 reasons,
1. I didn't have a good enough server.
2. I never got the code that i needed to finish part of it up.
3. I got really busy lol

I wasn't going to say anything, but since this topic was brought back up I figured that I may as well say, this isn't going to happen by me, I have switched and hardly ever play quickshot anymore, I play hix only now.

Sorry to disappoint.

Kesslar
ZE BOZZ
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ZE BOZZ »

Hate that. Hix is fun but it's not the only fun map. Hate it when folks go into GU and never come back. I try to play both as much as I possibly can. GU is great and I have tons of fun when I play there but, you can't play in a bubble. Personally, I need a change of scenery every once and a while. Not hitting on the leagues but, seriously guys, try your hand at some other maps too! There are lots of great ones to choose from instead of the same old thing all the time. I know there are many who do play everywhere and are good all around (which is awesome!) but I've just seen to many good players and friends start playing GU for example and I never see them again. I just see them occasionally when I play a GU match.

Not bashing you guys but really, get out and try some new stuff before it's too late :D
•• •• •• •• ••
Kenshin
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Kenshin »

Not to be offensive, ZE BOZZ, but the reason GU players don't tend to leave hix is because for many of us there isn't a whole lot of competition outside of hix or ducati, the latter not being terribly active. Most players don't learn to dodge well until they join a league, making public servers rather dull unless you're in the mood to get a high score. Admittedly, quickshot is a bit of an exception to this as dodging is essentially removed, but that style of play doesn't usually appeal to many of the players who have dedicated so much of their time learning to dodge.

Anywho, I wish you the best of luck with this. Given how inactive the game is it might be a bit tough though
ZE BOZZ
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ZE BOZZ »

You seem to have missed the point. Get out, experience new things. Dodging is necessary for almost all maps (no need for technicalities)(Ok fine, mazes, obstacle courses, etc ;) ). And yes, it is very useful on Quickshot. You just need to learn how by actually playing it. There is plenty of competition and if you (among others) would play outside the box more, there would be even more of it!
Most players don't learn to dodge well until they join a league, making public servers rather dull unless you're in the mood to get a high score.
Not sure what you are referring to there. I hope you don't mean that all the public servers are just too easy, "I just go there to pwn the noobs." That would show how much you are locked away from other servers, so to speak. There are plenty of folks that are quite good. Others that are learning. But if the good players don't play where the new guys are at? How are they supposed to learn and get better? Therefore adding to the competition that you are so desperately deprived of?

On the subject of learning to dodge, I didn't have to play in the leagues to learn how. Playing in them has helped make me a better player and refined my dodging (though it still has a ways to go ;) ) Nonetheless, my point is, you don't have to play in the leagues to learn to dodge, there are plenty of excellent places to learn and improve not only dodging, but other skills as well. You don't have to play on the same map all the time. There are plenty of great opportunities to have fun and learn on other maps. You just have to go out there and experience it.

Sorry this is a bit off-topic Kess. Some things just need to be said.

There is a lot more I could say on the subject but I fear id be wasting my time.

I sincerely hope not.
•• •• •• •• ••
Kesslar
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Kesslar »

Since we are all back onto this topic, I will say a few more things.

Kenshin, I don't know about you, but I used to play quickshot for hours every day, and there is dodging skill there, it may not be the same as hix where you see the shots and dodge them. The dodging is more along the lines of having to just get good at predicting the opponent's next move, but there is still some of the seeing the shot and dodging.
Also, kenshin, quickshot is not an easy map for hix players, you would not be able to "pwn" everyone as Ze Bozz said, quickshot is way to hard for that, even after play that map for 3 years everyday, I was not able to pwn everyone, there were still ppl who were very hard to take down. Not trying to brag, but I was pretty good at that map too, but now I go back and play and i have a hard time, because my brain wants to use the same tactics that I use in hix, and quickshot is a completely different style.

Ze Bozz Another reason that ppl love and stay on hix so much is because of the friends, ppl make friends there and they see each other on often, whereas other public maps, you don't see the same person over and over again all the time, I know that quickshot may be a bit of an exception, ppl do come back there often, but you get my point. so it's hard to make friends. I know that for a lot of the hix players, one of the only reasons that they play hix, is because they don't necessarily love the map or the game, but it's because of the friends that they have on there.

and last of all, Ze Bozz, I have a server that i can use for this project, and I am willing to try to do this with your help, but I am going to need you to help me with this because I don't know a lot about this. lol

I will need:
someone to design a web page for the league. (i have no idea how the GU league does the registration, but i was thinking that the quickshot league could be done much the same way)
the version of the map that you want.
generation script and code

and I can get the .config and put it up on my server and host it. (I also have purple panzer permission to host a copy of his map)

Kesslar