Should we renew the htfleague domain?

Discussions about the various leagues
Longhair
Private First Class
Private First Class

Should we renew the htfleague domain?

Post by Longhair »

pyr0 asked me this evening if he should renew the htfleague.com domain.

The league has been defunct lately due to varying reasons. Is there interest in getting it going again, or is it enough to simply play the occasional HTF match for fun?
pyr0
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by pyr0 »

i wouldnt mind doing some htf league play again, i never had a chance to do it before. when the league came around i was jumping job to job so stuck and didnt get to, but the domain goes the 30th if people dont want to try it again. if you do, ill renew it...

-pyr0
hookah
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by hookah »

heh how to register there?
EnderWiggin
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by EnderWiggin »

I would love to try
SportChick
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by SportChick »

It's true, it hasn't gotten much play lately, but I have enjoyed the htf matches we played and would love to play more. I'm not sure how much the domain cost him, but if it's not too much, why not? :)

SC
kc9foh
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by kc9foh »

Count me in! As soon as I can get BZflag working on Vista!
Longhair
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Longhair »

Count me in! As soon as I can get BZflag working on Vista!
Okies, we'll look into it next year ;)

Personally, I'm trying to decide if it's worth the trouble or not. We should certainly play some matches though. They are fun.
Grace F
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Grace F »

I'd like to come along too only i dont know what a HTF match is :?
Triumph of the Soul
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Triumph of the Soul »

Grace F wrote:I'd like to come along too only i dont know what a HTF match is :?
I don't know what it is either, but if I had to guess, I'd say it is a cross between Capture the Flag and Hunt the Rabbit... So Hunt the Flag maybe?

But seriously, I am slightly interested right now, but I might be more interested once I find out what it is.
Creator @: Duck or Die, Duck or Die CTF, Fuel Stack, Guernica, Normal, Frayed
Longhair
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Longhair »

HTF stands for Hold the Flag or Hunt the Flagholder.

Here's how it works:

Any map you feel like playing on and has two bases of different colors works. All players are on the same team. The object of the game is to take your team's flag and bring it to the other color base, "capturing" your own team flag. Of course, the entire team blows up, and the whole process starts over. The individual player with the most captures after the agreed upon time expires is declared the winner.

Menotume wrote a snazzy plugin that takes care of the scorekeeping.

We also experimented with a few ideas like having more than one team flag, so you're racing to get your own copy of the flag to the other base. (I think I Died Once gets credit for that one)
Grace F
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Grace F »

Oh i see. Sweet sounds fun :) So you have to take your own flag and cap at the enemies base? Are you racing against your teammates too, are you meant to kill them?
Longhair
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Longhair »

Are you racing against your teammates too, are you meant to kill them?
That's the idea. Lots o' donkey noise :)

By the way, this game is not for you if you actually care what your lowest score records will be. Often, the person with the lowest score is the one who is winning.
Grace F
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Grace F »

Longhair wrote:That's the idea. Lots o' donkey noise :)
lol

Nah i dont care what my lowest score records are, the records arent that important to me. My lowest score is like -84 :P, it was on HIX after a match, we all joined the same team and were trying to cap our own flag at the enemies base as well as shooting eachother etc., so its pretty similar to this HTF aye?
CannonBallGuy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by CannonBallGuy »

What you just described IS HTF.

Merry Christmas!

"Look, if I don't buy booze for the kids, I don't get any incriminating pictures to show to their parents, my business goes down the sink, my girlfriend leaves me and the baby goes on ebay. So help me search..."

"go Play With Toys urself in a dark alley u donkey ******" - Lt-Kirby2007
Grace F
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Grace F »

Oh yea no worries then :)

Are there like certain servers that this is played on?
Red Cobra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Red Cobra »

I was playing HTF with on GU the toehr day. I had a blast. It's actually very fast action gaming since everyone is trying to kill everyone for the flag. When you have for teams for CTF it's not that fun because you have two teams going against each other. (Not as much action) The HTF is a blast because once you get the flag you have like 8 people swarming around you and your the mouse and there the cat and you run like hell. (excuse my language) Please restart it. Though i'm interested what map do you use. GU was very fun when I played HTF on it.
Cop@R3lax
Trusted@Viper
Longhair
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Longhair »

When the league was up and running, we mostly played on a Ducati style random map. 2 shots, the whole bit. My personal favorite was on the Adrenaline Factory map, with slightly souped up tank speeds and shot speeds. We played a few times HIX, and The Passion of the CTF.

There really was no official map, so long as it had two bases!
Grace F
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Grace F »

Longhair wrote:There really was no official map, so long as it had two bases!
Oh ok, would be cool if there was 1 specifically designed for HTF.
ducatiwannabe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducatiwannabe »

Never even knew there was a league :D but hey, I have nothing against it coming back.
Lil Dog
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Lil Dog »

Longhair wrote:When the league was up and running, we mostly played on a Ducati style random map. 2 shots, the whole bit. My personal favorite was on the Adrenaline Factory map, with slightly souped up tank speeds and shot speeds. We played a few times HIX, and The Passion of the CTF.

There really was no official map, so long as it had two bases!
When I played, I thought it was just for Ducati style maps, but lately people have been doing FM HTF on HIX, I aggree with Grace, a map made solely for HTF would be good, some thing new and fun, it would need to have auto team set, but max players on the CAP ONLY base would be 0, that way there is no mid game confusion with people hopping on opposing team and stopping that righteous cap..A poll would need to be taken on what it would look like, shot count and such.. Who would make it?

I think this is all a grand idea, if the HTF league came back, I would be all for it. /me cheers at Rebel Chikorita
Sir Lance-A-Lot
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Sir Lance-A-Lot »

I havn't played HTF for years...

I would love to see it return - I'd be interested in joining the league and actually being active for once...Where is the league's website, may I ask?
Longhair
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Longhair »

Wow, seems to be a good bit of interest going on here :)

I coded the website about 1 1/2 years ago, long before I knew anything beyond basic HTML. Maybe now that I'm getting some skills together w/ PHP & MYSQL, I'll try putting something simple together. Probably nothing like the bzleague sites, but HTF doesn't really need such things, since there are no teams. Give me a few weeks to get around to it, unless somebody else wants to do it. (I really don't care which) If somebody DOES want to code it, I should still have all the old records from when the league was active.

There are a few other issues here. If you want to use the HTF plugin, which makes things way simpler to keep track of, you'll either need a dedicated server with a map and the plugin loaded, or a friendly admin on a server that has the plugin available. Ditto for any special maps you'd want to use. This, of course, will cost some $$$. When we last ran the league, I just left my home server up and running for the occasional match. My home server has a few troubles though. The bandwidth is plenty for the Ducati style matches, but I fear that it will bog down for servers with more shots and superflags. The other trouble is that I'm on a dynamic IP address that changes every three days or so. If you happen to have a match going when it changes, everyone gets disconnected, and can't reconnect for about 30 seconds. Needless to day, it screws everything up big time, but it is rare. On the upside, the matches weren't constantly going on like they are in the GU league. Maybe some ad hoc servers are enough. Personally, I don't have the funds to set up a dedicated server that is capable of running bzflag and Apache simultaneously. Apache, from what I'm told, makes EVERYTHING lag/jitter like crazy if it's run on the same box as a bzflag game.

Regarding maps, somebody DID make a perfectly good map specifically for HTF last year. Here's the forum post: http://my.bzflag.org/bb/viewtopic.php?t ... hlight=htf
Destroyer
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Destroyer »

I have rent a rootserver... If you guys want, i can host the server ;) and the website but i dont know when the serer is ready... he has said i must wait 1 until 2 weeks...

If i have the server i will say it and we can creat one ;)
CannonBallGuy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by CannonBallGuy »

I am guessing Destroyer's dedicated server is in Europe.
I can host servers on a dedicated in Ohio, USA.

It would probably be possible to set up a variety of different server configurations - ducati style, GU style, etc - and allow the players to choose whichever they want with the mapchange plugin.

Merry Christmas!

"Look, if I don't buy booze for the kids, I don't get any incriminating pictures to show to their parents, my business goes down the sink, my girlfriend leaves me and the baby goes on ebay. So help me search..."

"go Play With Toys urself in a dark alley u donkey ******" - Lt-Kirby2007
Destroyer
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Destroyer »

OK my server now aktive :)

Send me then the configs, plugins ect....