RikerCup January 2009

Discussion for GU League Players
Mucho Maas
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: RikerCup January 2009

Post by Mucho Maas »

I think every 6 month is great. Initially i was thinking that once a year will keep the event special. But a year is long, 6 month is long.
Waiting 5 month to start thinking about it...think it should be done sooner. Teamcaptains need to be picked, they need to get them selfs organized and find dates where most of their players will be available.
Also we might have to think about if we keep everything the same. For example, the teamcaptains were simply picked by us. Maybe this should change to something else, like a poll....not sure yet.
"meet the new fo0 , same as the old f0o ... no no no .. don't get fo0'ed again ... " - The Who
soxs
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by soxs »

Twice a year is good, but june/july. Sorry won't be here :).

If we play the rikers cup more than twice a year it could easily be over played as most have said.. Once a year isn't good at all just because if you can't make it to the first one you must wait till the following year.
dexter
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dexter »

Foo wrote:I think every 6 month is great. Initially i was thinking that once a year will keep the event special. But a year is long, 6 month is long.
Waiting 5 month to start thinking about it...think it should be done sooner. Teamcaptains need to be picked, they need to get them selfs organized and find dates where most of their players will be available.
Also we might have to think about if we keep everything the same. For example, the teamcaptains were simply picked by us. Maybe this should change to something else, like a poll....not sure yet.
Starting to plan something that is supposed to happen in around ~6 months is very tricky. Players come and players go. Just about one month ago, orbit made his own team and became active again. Completely out of the blue. I don't think it's the right thing to determine leaders just yet. Finding dates this far in advance is also very difficult. Hardly anyone will postpone something important, because the RikerCup will be held that day. If we set the day sometime soon, but some other engagement comes up for a captain or player, I'm pretty sure he'll just miss the Cup. Best to wait as long as possible, imo.
As for choosing captains... didn't the admin team make good choices for this Cup? I don't see why we would have to change something there. Polls are rarely very accurate and some people will try to vote more than once, etc. Usually it's quite clear who should play for the two teams and who the leaders should be. Having a poll would allow players, who most definitely won't even be participating, to vote. That would also lead to players trying to get others to vote for them. Polls will lead to huge discussions and arguments. I liked how the admin team just decided, and that was that.

I would like to see things kept like they were last Cup. Everything went *very* smoothly and everyone had a great time. If we keep on changing the set-up for every Rikers Cup, it won't be very 'annual', which is actually what we're trying to achieve. That way everyone will know how the Cup works and what they have to expect from it. The set-up and rules don't change with every Football World Cup either. So unless somebody has an amazing proposal, I think we should keep it as is! :)
Zac
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zac »

unfortunatly, due to the time zone. i was asleep when the riker cup took place (i forgot to chech when it was on). however, from what ive heard it was an amazingly popular event and would like to see it happen again..

and maybe a cup that includes aussies.. which means a gu serveer needs to be hosted in calafornia.. :P
birdie
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by birdie »

dexter wrote:
Foo wrote:I think every 6 month is great. Initially i was thinking that once a year will keep the event special. But a year is long, 6 month is long.
Starting to plan something that is supposed to happen in around ~6 months is very tricky. Players come and players go. Just about one month ago, orbit made his own team and became active again. Completely out of the blue. I don't think it's the right thing to determine leaders just yet. Finding dates this far in advance is also very difficult. Hardly anyone will postpone something important, because the RikerCup will be held that day. If we set the day sometime soon, but some other engagement comes up for a captain or player, I'm pretty sure he'll just miss the Cup. Best to wait as long as possible, imo.
As for choosing captains... didn't the admin team make good choices for this Cup? I don't see why we would have to change something there. Polls are rarely very accurate and some people will try to vote more than once, etc. Usually it's quite clear who should play for the two teams and who the leaders should be. Having a poll would allow players, who most definitely won't even be participating, to vote. That would also lead to players trying to get others to vote for them. Polls will lead to huge discussions and arguments. I liked how the admin team just decided, and that was that.

I would like to see things kept like they were last Cup. Everything went *very* smoothly and everyone had a great time. If we keep on changing the set-up for every Rikers Cup, it won't be very 'annual', which is actually what we're trying to achieve. That way everyone will know how the Cup works and what they have to expect from it. The set-up and rules don't change with every Football World Cup either. So unless somebody has an amazing proposal, I think we should keep it as is! :)

Actually I hate to say this, but I agree with your post :)

whew :)
zaphod
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by zaphod »

dexter wrote:
Foo wrote:As for choosing captains... didn't the admin team make good choices for this Cup? I don't see why we would have to change something there. Polls are rarely very accurate and some people will try to vote more than once, etc. Usually it's quite clear who should play for the two teams and who the leaders should be. Having a poll would allow players, who most definitely won't even be participating, to vote. That would also lead to players trying to get others to vote for them. Polls will lead to huge discussions and arguments. I liked how the admin team just decided, and that was that.
PLEASE don't get me wrong again!!!
just a suggestion to take off a big burden the captains shoulder and to make the selection of the teams more "objective"?!
If each active team would internally decide and suggest their 10 "best" players on each side of the ocean they voted on? (or make it 15 to be sure not to miss the players who will be absent for the cup.)
The team leaders will communicate their selection and after that ::: it would be a simple count on votes to make up the teams?!
quantum dot
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by quantum dot »

dexter wrote:... So unless somebody has an amazing proposal, I think we should keep it as is! :)
I fully agree with your entire post.
Don't let school interfere with your education.
Mark Twain
quantum dot
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by quantum dot »

soxs wrote:Twice a year is good, but june/july. Sorry won't be here :).

If we play the rikers cup more than twice a year it could easily be over played as most have said.. Once a year isn't good at all just because if you can't make it to the first one you must wait till the following year.
yes, I agree that twice a year seems to be a balance between too many and too little so to speak. Sounds like a good option to have a cup in the two most important worldwide vacation periods so many more players could make it for the agreed date. A look at the league activity statistics http://saturos.de/s/gu_activity.jpg over time seems to peak at June every year. Not much of a peak in Christmas thou.
Don't let school interfere with your education.
Mark Twain
Mucho Maas
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Mucho Maas »

dexter wrote:The set-up and rules don't change with every Football World Cup either.
Well...they actually often do :)

Anyway.....was thinking about a way of how to reflect the GU League spirit in an event like the RikerCup. A public poll will be as stated very difficult to set up, and it will be difficult to ensure that everything went fair.
The things that were good about the last RikerCup don't require change. That's logical. My proposal about RikerCup guidelines and setup was also mainly to encourage players to express their ideas. I think that for example Zaphod did post some very constructive ideas. Doesn't mean that they all get implemented, but should not be ignored since it may serve as food for thought for the next events.
Also am I happy that the thread changed it's focus to the next event, and went away from deconstructive comments about the last RikerCup.

As for the next event....looks like it will be this summer. Will be hard to find an appropriate date. Should be timed as such that it doesn't interfere with school and college exams, but also ensuring that we won't pick a date were half the league is sunbathing on exotic beaches.

Since I don't really know when summer holiday starts, when exams are, might be helpful to post how this is in your region. I am guessing that late July or early August could be that day.

Foo
"meet the new fo0 , same as the old f0o ... no no no .. don't get fo0'ed again ... " - The Who
dexter
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dexter »

When i was trying to arrange a RikerCup early last year, I planned on making a poll for players to chose the best date. (Never got that far), so I thought we could try to do that for the next event. That is, if we don't find a date by discussing it here that most people like.

Summer holidays are much harder to plan than Xmas holidays, because the US and Europe basically have the same Xmas holidays.
In Germany, the last two weeks of school before the summer break (mid July), are useless. You don't have any exams and don't do anything at all (except sweat). It shouldn't be a problem, to play the Cup on a weekend during that time. However, as far as I know the US summer break starts early June? Some may already be on some beach by the time Euros are done with exams. Like I said before, we'll just have to wait and see what things are like in a couple of months, no need getting too concerned about the date. The RikerCup will draw enough people... even on short notice. :)
Carnage
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Carnage »

in canda it around june 26th depending on school
in the U.S i think its 2 weeks before