Add server when reporting

Discussion for GU League Players
dexter
Private First Class
Private First Class

Add server when reporting

Post by dexter »

Another idea that came to me, was adding the server that the match was played on when reporting matches. Sometimes I see a match between two teams that looks really good and want to check it out, but can't figure out where it was played. This would require some slight changes in the league-code, but I thought it might be worth it. Your opinions?
Destroyer
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Add server when reporting

Post by Destroyer »

That is a great idea. I had one too: We add the players who played, so we could make a better player activity. But i think that would be to much work.
quantum dot
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by quantum dot »

Destroyer wrote:That is a great idea. I had one too: We add the players who played, so we could make a better player activity. But i think that would be to much work.
certainly including the players on the reporting system is not feasible at the moment. Often reports are incomplete, lack of time, or date, or ..., imagine one got to include the players names ...
Don't let school interfere with your education.
Mark Twain
Mucho Maas
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Mucho Maas »

For now, some servers offer a replay list on their website. That could be a a possibility to find that match. The listing also reports the players involved.
Nice could be if that listing on the server website would also display the score as that should be trackable :)

Elas, not all of the match servers provide those means.
But here is an example: http://bzf.guleague.org/matchlist.html

Having the match server on the GU League site would be helpful. That will also provide more control of the servers in used. For example, dub59997 is not an official match server anymore. A drowdown list on entering matches would make the entering referee aware of it.
But yes, that will require some coding, and I am not sure we will see that anytime soon.
"meet the new fo0 , same as the old f0o ... no no no .. don't get fo0'ed again ... " - The Who
dexter
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dexter »

I don't think adding the player names make much sense. You can use strayers to check the players activity or http://bzflag.redjacket.ws/
Once you have player names there..you might as well add observers, no need to get *that* detailed.

I was not even aware that bzf.guleague.org had that kind of matchlist, great to know.
It's still very helpful knowing where the match was played, so you don't have to go searching through 4 or 5 different websites. This especially applies to some older matches that aren't on the first site of the matchlists.

Question: Why isn't dub:59997 an official match server anymore? Saturos and I talked to Pimpi a day prior to the RikerCup to ask if she could set up her server according to the current settings, (In case we needed another server, bzf had lag problems at the time) which she did. (Thanks! :) )
Perhaps there are other reasons, besides the lack of correct settings...?

Here's a list of all the matchlist websites where you can find detailed information (except the score) of a GU match played on the according server:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only official servers without such websites would be:

my.inexplicably.org:5158 (getting increasingly more action there - would be very nice to have)
fusion.guleague.org:5158 (hardly ever used)

If it's too much of an effort to add the webleague code, best alternative is to use these websites.
Maybe one of the admins could talk to TheRedBaron about putting up one for his server too?
Mucho Maas
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Mucho Maas »

Thanks for that update Dexter, probably will use your info for a new sticky about replay servers.

The main reason why dub59997 is not anymore listed as an official match server is because it does not feature a replay server. Maybe one of the other server hosters can help him in setting one up.
"meet the new fo0 , same as the old f0o ... no no no .. don't get fo0'ed again ... " - The Who
dexter
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dexter »

No problem, Foo. :)

Forgot to mention it, but pimpi set up a replay server on port 59996! It's been tested and works. And spawns are turned off on buildings too. As far as I know, 59997 is running with all current settings.
ducatiwannabe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducatiwannabe »

my.inexplicably.org:5158 (getting increasingly more action there - would be very nice to have)
fusion.guleague.org:5158 (hardly ever used)
Not gonna touch that. Just that I use fusion sometimes. :-P And encourage it too.