One Crazy Farout Idea

Discussion for GU League Players
Mopar Madness
Private First Class
Private First Class

One Crazy Farout Idea

Post by Mopar Madness »

Why not have a 12 or 24hour GU tourny, maybe a 5v5 or something, 20 or 25 people per team, with subbing generally done each hour on the hour to try to keep it from being too crazy with constant subbing. Subbing before the hour done only if it absolutely has to be done. Maybe have a mercy rule at a 100 cap lead or so. I'm not thinking like a Riker deal where its Europe vs America, but maybe like 9-11 Americans, 9-11 Europeans, and 2-3 Aussies/Asians per team depending on if its 20 or 25 people per team, so each team can have enough people at all hours of the day. It would be a little tough to do a tourny like this, but not impossible, your looking at 3 or 6 hours per person on the 20 person team, and 2.5 or 5 hours for a 25 person team
24 maybe be too crazy, but the 12 hour tourny would be in reach no doubt if we wanted to.
Bambino
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: One Crazy Farout Idea

Post by Bambino »

That does sound crazy and somewhat do-able. Might take some organizing.
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -- Albert Einstein
GU League | Ducati League | OpenLeague
gentle giant
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by gentle giant »

Cool, but how are you gonna make teams and get times for euros and americans to be on at the same time. That will be the hard part.
My motives from an awesome teacher:

"If life gives you lemons, make lemonade"

"If you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail"
Sum Ting Wong
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Sum Ting Wong »

Mate, that sounds totally awesome, but also totally crazy! ;]
All this while I've been packing ice around my heart. How do I make it melt? My Photography and other Art
red-der
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by red-der »

This does really sound like a craaaaaaaaazy idea.

/me likes it.
:lol-old:

But i think the problem will be to get one day, where all this crazy players have "the time" to play for hours. It will more or less end after some hours, when the subbs arent there and the playing players are exhausted.

Maybe we should start with an 6-hours bzflag fun tournament or so. If that works, we can do a 12 hours tournament the next time.
Mopar Madness
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Mopar Madness »

gentle giant wrote:Cool, but how are you gonna make teams and get times for euros and americans to be on at the same time. That will be the hard part.
If we had a 12-24 hour tourny, it would be easier to schedule for both than a riker cup, all teams would try to get about half euros, half americans. A good time for the tourny would be from 1PM-1AM GMT so the euros on the team will be the main ones playing for the 1st 6 hours, then american players generally start to get on between 3-6 PM GMT, starting around that time teams would start to be a mix of euros and americans, then toward the end of the tourny as the euro players get tired (or just tired of playing :)), it would mainly be american players.

Very crazy idea though :D
lep
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by lep »

I like this idea. It seems like one, long GU match. The time span may be hard to meet as a team, and this would require a lot of organization, but it is definetely doable. If this does happen, I would love to watch and stick around, and if not, good luck putting it together. I hope that this happens

Good, crazy idea :idea-alt:
gentle giant
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by gentle giant »

I understand now mopar, but what server would it be on? Americans complain about euro servers and euros complain about american servers. Wish there could be a server in the middle of the Atlantic ocean :)
My motives from an awesome teacher:

"If life gives you lemons, make lemonade"

"If you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail"
Mopar Madness
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Mopar Madness »

lol, i'm just throwing the idea out there, it's up to the GU admins now to make it happen, i'd love to help coordinate something like this anyway i could, but Doink's the expert on setting matches like this up, i wouldnt even know where to begin.
slime
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by slime »

Nice idea dave, it seems to solve a lot of the time zone vs lag problems that other tournaments encounter, while still maintaining a competitive and fun aspect.

However, like all great ideas, there are some serious issues that it may bring up. Such as;

* At times, 5 extremely good players may find themselves playing 5 'not as good' players, in which they could really rack up their teams score. This could make the scores biased for the rest of the match, one team finding they are facing an uphill battle for hours.

Mopar Madness wrote: your looking at 3 or 6 hours per person on the 20 person team, and 2.5 or 5 hours for a 25 person team

That's a lot of hours of playing :P I'll speak for myself; I'd get extremely bored after half or so of that time.

* And as already mentioned above, a server with reasonable lag for everyone throughout the world would need to be found and agreed upon.

* Not to mention the organizing, and the ability to play 24 hour official matches. The Riker Cup takes constant administrator supervision to make sure none of the newer players join in or something. There would need to be an admin at the server at all times. Also, the /gameover command could present a problem :P

If you can find ways to bypass some of these problems, at least in my eyes, with enough support in the GU community this could work and end up being really fun :) Good luck!
ducatiwannabe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducatiwannabe »

And then there's the fact that a lot of us just don't have the time to do hour after hour on BZ. The thought is nice, though.
dexter
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dexter »

Real life much? How about settle for something a bit more realistic. How about 2 hours or 3? Isn't that enough time for everyone to play a bit? I mean jeeze, I wouldn't be surprised if some parents started filing complaints against GU because their child won't stop jumping around in his tank. Three hours should be plenty..
Bambino
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Bambino »

dexter wrote:I mean jeeze, I wouldn't be surprised if some parents started filing complaints against GU because their child won't stop jumping around in his tank. Three hours should be plenty..
Some GU players are parents, there kids would complain :P
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -- Albert Einstein
GU League | Ducati League | OpenLeague
ducktape
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducktape »

I think i agree with dexter on this one, i mean think about it, i'd be willing to bet that half the people set to play would just sign off cause they are bored out of their mind. 3 hours sounds good.
Quantum Tank
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Quantum Tank »

I really like this idea, but this would probably have to wait until summer, and it will be hard to find a day on which everyone on the team can play even then.