A New Look

Discussion for GU League Players
snick
Private First Class
Private First Class

A New Look

Post by snick »

I've been working to improve the look of BZFlag and I thought I'd share with you some of the results
of that. First some screenshots:
screen1.png
(564.71 KiB) Downloaded 1 time
screen2.png
(168.46 KiB) Downloaded 1 time
screen3.png
(311.32 KiB) Downloaded 1 time
A quick summary of the changes made:

Improved cirrus type clouds. Deep blue sky (code mod). New textures for: walls, team base tops,
pyramids, box tops, tanks, grass. Increased texture resolution (now up to 2048 x 2048 px). Enabled
FSAA with supersampling (using a modded SDL lib) for OS X and enabled 16x anisotropic filtering after
configuring and linking with Glew.

Obviously this won't suit everyone because a certain level of hardware (i.e., GPU support) is needed.
However, I do feel it shows that there's a lot of potential for making the game look quite nice
through some relatively minor tweaking. And objects don't appear blurry when I'm next to them, now,
which is an improvement.

More details available upon request :-)

Happy shooting!

Snick.
Bambino
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: A New Look

Post by Bambino »

Wow! Really nice work, snick! I love all those textures. Are you planning on releasing them? :)
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -- Albert Einstein
GU League | Ducati League | OpenLeague
snick
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by snick »

Bambino wrote:Wow! Really nice work, snick! I love all those textures. Are you planning on releasing them? :)
I don't have a hosting account at the moment, so I've nowhere to put them. But I would
be happy to distribute most of the textures (note carefully the comments below).

A few words about licensing and how these textures came about. I can't recall how I
made the pyramid texture (I might have adapted material from elsewhere), so for that
reason I won't redistribute that texture. However, I will work on making a replacement.

For the clouds texture I began with the following image (distributed under the Creative
Commons Attribution-Share Alike 2.0 Generic license):

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File: ... ,_2005.jpg

The image was modified a fair bit in Photoshop to make it usable as a BZ cloud texture.
If anyone in the BZ community could supply a similar photograph they took themselves,
and unambigously license free, that would be nice. Note: whispy high level cirrus type
clouds and a strongly constrasting sky seem to work best.

All the other textures were made from scratch (i.e., using primitives in Illustrator etc.,
but not using imported photographs). The tank and base textures are clearly modelled
on or inspired by the BZFlag originals but they are of a much higher quality. That is,
the details are clear and they're larger than the original 512x512 or 256x256 textures.
(to get the benefit of larger textures you need to set the BZ variable 'maxTextureSize').

The bases have a newer simpler modern look to them. The walls, ground and roofs are
completely new material. The mountains have been replaced by a simple subtle gradient
that shades the sky from blue to green near the horizon, and a two line alteration to the
function 'getSkyColor' in 'daylight.cxx' gives the sky a deeper mediterranean blue:

Code: Select all

static const GLfloat  zenithColor[3] = { 0.0f, 0.0f, 0.90f };
  // static const GLfloat       zenithColor[3] = { 0.25f, 0.55f, 0.86f };
  static const GLfloat  horizonColor[3] = { 0.0f, 0.2f, 0.2f };
  // static const GLfloat       horizonColor[3] = { 0.43f, 0.75f, 0.95f };
(Original code commented out.)

My aim throughout has not been to strive too hard to mimic reality, but instead to create a
clean aesthetically pleasing look that neither interferes with nor unfairly improves gameplay.

And I have to say, playing with these textures, BZFlag feels like a more fun and more modern
game entirely. I'm pleasantly surprised that a bit of relatively minor tweakage can produce such
an improvement (to my eyes at least).

Cheers,

Snick.
Gamma
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Gamma »

Great job man! I love the clouds! they look really good..

...BZFlag Forever.
quantum dot
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by quantum dot »

I find the new view aesthetically very pleasant. Everything looks smooth and less primitive.
Don't let school interfere with your education.
Mark Twain