Re: GU League Player Poll - 20 min matches

Post by hurricane »

Option #1
ducatiwannabe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducatiwannabe »

Current Tally (Adjusted for vote changing... some changed from option 2 to option 3, option 3 to option 1, etc.)

Option 1. 31
Option 2. 1
Option 3. 29

It's almost a 50-50 here. Phew!
Bambino
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Bambino »

Ooooooh, nice a close now! When does the poll end?
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -- Albert Einstein
GU League | Ducati League | OpenLeague
Mvp
Private
Private

Post by Mvp »

Option 3
smoooth
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by smoooth »

I predict this poll will end right after BZFlag 3.0 is released.

Also, I am holding my vote incase there is a tie.
Jacko H
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Jacko H »

If it's 50 50 it stays the same right?
Jacko Productions:
World War III, Kill Or Die, Nazarath, Warlock Adrenaline, Rabbit Season, Firing Range (Just Be Simple), Death Island.
quantum dot
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by quantum dot »

Jacko H wrote:If it's 50 50 it stays the same right?
The poll is only indicative, not determinant. The main intention of the poll was to know what the feeling was about this issue. In my opinion nothing of this magnitude should be changed by a close voting. Also, the opinions and ideas to improve the current time limit system are perhaps more useful for us than the mere vote count.
Don't let school interfere with your education.
Mark Twain
Ripper
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Ripper »

I also change my vote from 3 to 1, after a lot of thinking, I think sticking with 30 minute matches is the right way to play GU to it's ful extent.
ducatiwannabe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducatiwannabe »

As quantum dot said, this is not going to determine the outcome simply by the numbers in this poll. This is indicative, in other words, we are getting the opinion of our league players nothing will be set and stone just because of this poll.
mrapple
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by mrapple »

Again, I get the whole "delete post if it doesn't forward the discussion" and I'm sorry this is off topic, but someone...

Who is deleting my posts? And why did you delete the original one? It was an honest question about the voting of this poll that I would like to be answered.

Original question from three posts ago: "Are these results going to be taken into consideration by the GU Admins? Will they actually be considered and do the match times have a chance of being adjusted?"
Last edited by mrapple on Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zelgadis
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zelgadis »

mrapple wrote:Are these results going to be taken into consideration by the GU Admins? Will they actually be considered and do the match times have a chance of being adjusted?
Yes. This thread would be pointless if we wouldn't consider the votes..
Want to improve your skill? Join the http://guleague.org!
kierra
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by kierra »

Posts are deleted by bzbb moderators. GU admins as a rule do not have those perms, only the bzbb moderators.
Your question was jumping the gun as the poll was still going on. :)
"Sometimes people try to expose what's wrong with you, because they can't handle what's right about you."
"Measure your words -- they determine the distance of your relationships"
"If serving is beneath you, leadership is beyond ypu."
quantum dot
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by quantum dot »

mrapple wrote:Again, I get the whole "delete post if it doesn't forward the discussion" and I'm sorry this is off topic, but someone...

Who is deleting my posts? And why did you delete the original one? It was an honest question about the voting of this poll that I would like to be answered.

Original question from three posts ago: "Are these results going to be taken into consideration by the GU Admins? Will they actually be considered and do the match times have a chance of being adjusted?"
1) GU admins do not have control on posts, so this responds your question

2) I already answered your question regarding the poll above.
Don't let school interfere with your education.
Mark Twain
mrapple
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by mrapple »

quantum dot wrote:
mrapple wrote:Again, I get the whole "delete post if it doesn't forward the discussion" and I'm sorry this is off topic, but someone...

1) GU admins do not have control on posts, so this responds your question

2) I already answered your question regarding the poll above.
Aha, I see the "The poll is only indicative, not determinant." statement now.

Thanks qd
TheRisingSun
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by TheRisingSun »

Why would we want to play 20 minutes? Me for example, I am warmed up after 30 mins, lol. I guess, a lot of peeps have only a few minutes time a day. But 20? GU is not only 2 dimensional but 3D, we need 30 minutes esp for bigger matches. Some of the closest matches were decided in the last few minutes.
Right now it is annoying that quol 5158 is 20minutes, no one plays there when they realize the match length.

30 MINUTES or nothing!

TRS
BZflag Veteran status means nothing when you are still a noob
TheRisingSun
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by TheRisingSun »

By the way, why was quol changed to 20minutes anyway? Players can't alter the length and therefor it is an annoying change. Please switch the server back to 30 minutes playtime, thx.
BZflag Veteran status means nothing when you are still a noob
smoooth
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by smoooth »

There is nothing preventing two teams from playing a 20 minute match currently. If both teams agree to play 20 minutes they can just /gameover when 10 minutes left and report the match. As long as they both agree on a 20 minute match they can stop it and report. There is no reason to adjust the /timelimit command unless the match length EXCEEDS 30 minutes. This poll/concept is basically pointless -- teams can play as short as they want as long as it is less then 30 minutes.
kierra
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by kierra »

smoothilicious: There is nothing preventing two teams from playing a 20 minute match currently. If both teams agree to play 20 minutes they can just /gameover when 10 minutes left and report the match. As long as they both agree on a 20 minute match they can stop it and report. There is no reason to adjust the /timelimit command unless the match length EXCEEDS 30 minutes. -- teams can play as short as they want as long as it is less then 30 minutes.
Of course there is nothing physically preventing players from doing such a thing...except that current GU league rules say official matches are 30 min in length. If you want to be in the league, a player in good standing, AND have your matches count, it would behoove you to follow the rules.
http://www.guleague.org/FAQ/ see the 4th question under "Matches heading.
smooth: This poll/concept is basically pointless
In the past, 20 min matches were voted down. The poll is a tool to determine current players' opinions about match timelimits. While the poll may be pointless to you, smooth; it is not to others judging by the number of responses.
"Sometimes people try to expose what's wrong with you, because they can't handle what's right about you."
"Measure your words -- they determine the distance of your relationships"
"If serving is beneath you, leadership is beyond ypu."
Ignition ReMiX
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Ignition ReMiX »

Option 1 please.
GU - Links
Duc - Eight Below
PB - Curves
Pam
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Pam »

dvb
Private
Private

Post by dvb »

lax votes 3 too. im representing him
ducatiwannabe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducatiwannabe »

lax votes 3 too. im representing him
If a player has a vote, they must post it themselves, sry.
smoooth
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by smoooth »

Of course there is nothing physically preventing players from doing such a thing...except that current GU league rules say official matches are 30 min in length. If you want to be in the league, a player in good standing, AND have your matches count, it would behoove you to follow the rules. http://www.guleague.org/FAQ/ see the 4th question under "Matches heading.
But it ALSO says in that same link http://www.guleague.org/FAQ/ 6th question. If someone has to leave, and there is no substitute, then the trailing team forfeits and the score is entered. So if a team wants to play a twenty minute match then they can preagree that the trailing team have their players leave at 20 minute mark -- and as such there would not enough players to play according to the rules and in this situation the score is then entered. So, yes, 20 minutes matches can be done legally according to the rules.

smoooth
Cobra_Fast
Dev Monkey
Dev Monkey

Post by Cobra_Fast »

smoooth wrote:
Of course there is nothing physically preventing players from doing such a thing...except that current GU league rules say official matches are 30 min in length. If you want to be in the league, a player in good standing, AND have your matches count, it would behoove you to follow the rules. http://www.guleague.org/FAQ/ see the 4th question under "Matches heading.
But it ALSO says in that same link http://www.guleague.org/FAQ/ 6th question. If someone has to leave, and there is no substitute, then the trailing team forfeits and the score is entered. So if a team wants to play a twenty minute match then they can preagree that the trailing team have their players leave at 20 minute mark -- and as such there would not enough players to play according to the rules and in this situation the score is then entered. So, yes, 20 minutes matches can be done legally according to the rules.
It's a known issue that the GU rules and whitelist are not definite and allow an admin to understand them like he wants to apply them in a particular situation. Most likely this is not going to change soon as admins like to have power and like to use that power unlimited but with a second though on politics.
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

smoooth wrote:

smoooth
What you are describing is an abuse of the rules, which do state that matches are to be 30 minutes in length. In the case where someone has to leave early unexpectedly, the rules allow for a match to be entered if the team who didn't leave is ahead, so as not to penalize them for something that is not their fault. Planning an official match of a shorter duration using the scenario you gave would not be appropriate.