-Gandhi

FKA Danji

Bad Company -> http://www.guleague.org/Teams/?profile=1001
SkillDude
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: GU League Hiding

Post by SkillDude »

I usually ignore them and move on. If they decide to stay at their post behind a block, I usually turn around and move on. Besides, if they follow you you should be skilled enough to use the blocks around you to make good ricochets and get them killed.

To me, when I face someone that hides away, especially in 1vs1 I do one of two things: Turn around as mentioned above and try an alternative, or: Just go directly across such that your opponent will either a) Follow you or b) Stay there and give you a better direct line of sight to hit them from.

At that point, it's easier to dodge anyway.

I tend to make the problem of hiding disappear, by forcing the opponent to confront me a different way.
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

Buy time and then double-team the player.
Starski
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Starski »

yeah thats what i think its more of a tactic than a cheap thing to do i can dodge really good but "hiding has helped me get my defense better after like 2 weeks so its a good thing.
"You cannot shake hands with a clenched fist"
-Gandhi

FKA Danji

plasma kaz
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by plasma kaz »

I like when defenders hide. I think it makes attacking a lot harder - and I like having to die a few times in order to get the flag. In addition, I don't have to worry about them attacking. Defenders are a lot more dangerous if they can actually help their attacker and defend at the same time.

Its pretty much an open invitation to doubleteam the hider's teammate, as const said. This only becomes an issue when the hider's team has the lead, and in that case if the attacker can't kill him doubleteam will have to shift towards offense.

My pet peeve is when people are way too cautious about hiding the flag in the corner when they *could* be shot. I literally have to jump around in circles for them to finally go save it instead of camping with the flag held.
"He that lieth down with dogs shall rise with fleas"

-Benjamin Franklin
Poor Richard's Almanac

"You want quiet? Take the next train"

-Lightning
FFXIII
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

plasma kaz wrote:Its pretty much an open invitation to doubleteam the hider's teammate, as const said. This only becomes an issue when the hider's team has the lead, and in that case if the attacker can't kill him doubleteam will have to shift towards offense.
Actually I meant to double-team the defender, although that also works. If properly executed, nobody should be able to survive a double-team offense. Then, when you have obtained the flag, you have leverage over what the other team is able to do. On the other hand, since their attacker is free to take your flag in the meanwhile, you have to execute the double-team attack quickly and properly.
Starski
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Starski »

As a defender, I love when Im double teamed because the defender has two jobs,to defend the flag and to buy time for your partner and If one of the two attackers die, Its a complete waste of time. so either way your gonna be spending 15 minutes trying to get my flag with one person or give my partner an opprotunity now add great dodging to the "hiding".
-Gandhi

FKA Danji

FiringSquad
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by FiringSquad »

I generally go over a hiding defender and bring the fight to the flag.
That way, when I kill them, they will spawn well away from me (and the flag) and give me a chance to get it without too much danger.
If you kill them too far from the flag or you are not on ground level when they respawn, then they might spawn between you and the flag and you will need to do it all over again.

Once I have it, they will need to take the risks to get it back.

Note: Remember to shoot into the area that you want them not to spawn in. The server will always try to spawn players in a "safe" area, away from enemy and bullets, but it only recognises events at ground-level.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

The server does not track bullets, so shooting shouldn't matter. It only knows tank positions and direction. Based on that information and flag type, it tries to avoid unsafe areas.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

mrapple
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by mrapple »

I swear there was some code I saw once that had something to the effect of "don't spawn here because you'll get hit by a bullet"...

Maybe it was in the autopilot code? But I can't remember, and it could be other places.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

In older versions of the game, the spawning was calculated client-side, and the clients knew where bullets were. I can't remember if it was 1.10 or 2.0 that first moved the spawns to the server.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Starski
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Starski »

FS, nice picture :)
-Gandhi

FKA Danji