Additional Official Match option

Discussion for GU League Players
Post Reply
User avatar
kierra
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Posts: 3619
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2005 1:02 am
Location: outer Slovenia
Contact:

Additional Official Match option

Post by kierra » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:26 pm

For the next few months, GU League will accept matches as being official, even if the teams do not have the same number of players playing in the match, provided that all players agree beforehand. Subbing and '2 in' allowed ONLY IF ALL PLAYERS in the match agree. To be clear, if the question of a sub arises or 2 players want in and an existing player objects then they have that right to disallow a sub or 2 in.
This proposition is intended to allow weaker players and newer members to still have a chance of winning and enjoying the league, while providing a challenging opposition, with all the excitement that brings, to the more seasoned and skilful players.

GU looks forward to your feedback.
"Trying to reason with a fool is like trying to teach a goldfish to bring you the newspaper"
"Sometimes people try to expose what's wrong with you, because they can't handle what's right about you."
"Measure your words -- they determine the distance of your relationships"

User avatar
Cobra_Fast
Dev Monkey
Dev Monkey
Posts: 321
Joined: Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:51 am
Location: Germany
Contact:

Re: Additional Official Match option

Post by Cobra_Fast » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:37 pm

Desperate times call for desperate measures? :D

User avatar
kierra
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Posts: 3619
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2005 1:02 am
Location: outer Slovenia
Contact:

Re: Additional Official Match option

Post by kierra » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:29 pm

More like evening up the playing field....so everyone has fun!....but if you're desperate, will work for you as well.
"Trying to reason with a fool is like trying to teach a goldfish to bring you the newspaper"
"Sometimes people try to expose what's wrong with you, because they can't handle what's right about you."
"Measure your words -- they determine the distance of your relationships"

brad
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 689
Joined: Sun May 08, 2005 12:26 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Additional Official Match option

Post by brad » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:56 pm

Cobra_Fast wrote:Desperate times call for desperate measures? :D
The games that have already been played 'uneven' have had very positive feedback. At least try it out first :mrgreen:

Jacko H
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 120
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:15 am

Re: Additional Official Match option

Post by Jacko H » Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:34 am

Will match points be awarded differently? Like if the team of two defeats the team of three will they get more points then usual.
Also, can you offi 1vs2?
Jacko Productions:
World War III, Kill Or Die, Nazarath, Warlock Adrenaline, Rabbit Season, Firing Range (Just Be Simple), Death Island.

User avatar
Zelgadis
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 638
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2005 2:31 pm
Location: European Union

Re: Additional Official Match option

Post by Zelgadis » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:56 am

Jacko H wrote:Will match points be awarded differently? Like if the team of two defeats the team of three will they get more points then usual.
Also, can you offi 1vs2?
The point system will stay as it is. There will be no additional points for defeating the larger team.
No, you can't play 2vs1. You can't keep your flag safe and try to cap, because of the spawns your opponents will have. You can play 2vs3, or 2vs4,..etc...
Want to improve your skill? Join the http://guleague.org!

Frank The Tank
Corporal
Corporal
Posts: 54
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:28 pm

Re: Additional Official Match option

Post by Frank The Tank » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:57 pm

This is not a new rule or an option it is and has always been permitted in the framework of the rules.
Q: Is a 1 vs 1 match an official match in the GU league?
A: No. Each team must have at least 2 players for the match to be official.
It is good of the GU League Council to Publicly make Teams more aware of this type of match play that it is indeed possible.
ICE have been doing this for over a year, played a 5 v 2 once.
EIE have also matched with an opposition of greater numbers, even some other teams have tried it.

From our experience the only tip we can offer is to mutually agree on PC (pass camp).
Either all mutually agree PC is acceptable or not, can make a match even more exciting.
Generally a good sportsmanship rule is to permit the trailing team to PC, not the team in front (as some currently do in normal team numbers)

All good fun
Happy Matching

User avatar
Zelgadis
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 638
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2005 2:31 pm
Location: European Union

Re: Additional Official Match option

Post by Zelgadis » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:06 am

Frank The Tank wrote:This is not a new rule or an option it is and has always been permitted in the framework of the rules.
Q: Is a 1 vs 1 match an official match in the GU league?
A: No. Each team must have at least 2 players for the match to be official.
It is good of the GU League Council to Publicly make Teams more aware of this type of match play that it is indeed possible.
ICE have been doing this for over a year, played a 5 v 2 once.
EIE have also matched with an opposition of greater numbers, even some other teams have tried it.

From our experience the only tip we can offer is to mutually agree on PC (pass camp).
Either all mutually agree PC is acceptable or not, can make a match even more exciting.
Generally a good sportsmanship rule is to permit the trailing team to PC, not the team in front (as some currently do in normal team numbers)

All good fun
Happy Matching
The rule you quoted above is pretty clear: It's not allowed to play 1vs1, it's allowed to play 2vs2, 3vs3, 4vs4, etc. Not like you thought 2vs3, 2vs4, 3vs4 etc. If ICE and EiE have been playing that kind of matches, then it was against the rules. But since I'm not able to check that, (I would have to watch every singe replay and stuff..) it's already forgotten.
Want to improve your skill? Join the http://guleague.org!

User avatar
blast
General
General
Posts: 4607
Joined: Fri Mar 21, 2003 3:49 pm
Location: playing.cxx
Contact:

Re: Additional Official Match option

Post by blast » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:20 am

Zelgadis wrote:
Frank The Tank wrote:This is not a new rule or an option it is and has always been permitted in the framework of the rules.
Q: Is a 1 vs 1 match an official match in the GU league?
A: No. Each team must have at least 2 players for the match to be official.
It is good of the GU League Council to Publicly make Teams more aware of this type of match play that it is indeed possible.
ICE have been doing this for over a year, played a 5 v 2 once.
EIE have also matched with an opposition of greater numbers, even some other teams have tried it.

From our experience the only tip we can offer is to mutually agree on PC (pass camp).
Either all mutually agree PC is acceptable or not, can make a match even more exciting.
Generally a good sportsmanship rule is to permit the trailing team to PC, not the team in front (as some currently do in normal team numbers)

All good fun
Happy Matching
The rule you quoted above is pretty clear: It's not allowed to play 1vs1, it's allowed to play 2vs2, 3vs3, 4vs4, etc. Not like you thought 2vs3, 2vs4, 3vs4 etc. If ICE and EiE have been playing that kind of matches, then it was against the rules. But since I'm not able to check that, (I would have to watch every singe replay and stuff..) it's already forgotten.
The rule above does not say anything about the teams needing to have the same number of players. It ONLY says that there must be at least 2 players on each team, so this only excludes 1vs1, 1vs2, and 2vs1.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Image

User avatar
kierra
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Posts: 3619
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2005 1:02 am
Location: outer Slovenia
Contact:

Re: Additional Official Match option

Post by kierra » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:54 pm

while blast is correct about the wording - I guess it needed to be more precise. BUT from its inception, gu league official (and fun) matches have been evenly numbered teams. It has always been a given.
It's countless number of times that the odd numbered player has sat in obs waiting for another to come so they could join the match.
Or the player goes in search for another to join with him. This has been the norm.

Have to agree with Zelgadis :)
"Trying to reason with a fool is like trying to teach a goldfish to bring you the newspaper"
"Sometimes people try to expose what's wrong with you, because they can't handle what's right about you."
"Measure your words -- they determine the distance of your relationships"

User avatar
blast
General
General
Posts: 4607
Joined: Fri Mar 21, 2003 3:49 pm
Location: playing.cxx
Contact:

Re: Additional Official Match option

Post by blast » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:44 pm

You can't agree with us both. The rule does not talk about uneven teams, so the claim by Zelgadis that the quoted rule "clearly" prohibits uneven teams is wrong. If you're gonna call someone out for breaking a rule, you should make sure you are reading the rule correctly.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Image

User avatar
Zelgadis
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 638
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2005 2:31 pm
Location: European Union

Re: Additional Official Match option

Post by Zelgadis » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:23 pm

There you have one more example, that the "human languages" are incomplete and imperferct. In the end everyone interprets it differently. From my point of view and understanding, the rule says nothing more then that the teams have to be numerally even (2 up). Otherwise we wouldn't have this thread here. :)
Want to improve your skill? Join the http://guleague.org!

User avatar
kierra
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Posts: 3619
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2005 1:02 am
Location: outer Slovenia
Contact:

Re: Additional Official Match option

Post by kierra » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:45 pm

blast, what I meant is that I see your point...and that the rule needed to be more clear. Besides the rule: "No. Each team must have at least 2 players for the match to be official." is in answer to the question of whether 1v1 matches were allowable in gu league.

By convention, and from the very beginning of the league, matches have been played by even teams...I would say the overwhelming majority were so.
Thus I have to say that those matches in history that were played with uneven teams....were 'acting out of the box', not by the example set by the majority of players for the last ~7 yrs. Unfortunately they exploited a loophole in an inprecisely stated rule taken out of context to the question asked and one that the majority already understood for years. :D
"Trying to reason with a fool is like trying to teach a goldfish to bring you the newspaper"
"Sometimes people try to expose what's wrong with you, because they can't handle what's right about you."
"Measure your words -- they determine the distance of your relationships"

mr64bit
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 89
Joined: Fri May 06, 2011 4:58 pm
Location: Hang on, let me get a map...
Contact:

Re: Additional Official Match option

Post by mr64bit » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:04 pm

Zelgadis wrote:The rule you quoted above is pretty clear: It's not allowed to play 1vs1, it's allowed to play 2vs2, 3vs3, 4vs4, etc. Not like you thought 2vs3, 2vs4, 3vs4 etc.
Look at it this way:
if(playersOnTeamX >= 2 && playersOnTeamY >= 2)
then match is legal.
(if both teams have two of more players)
NOT
if(playersOnTeamX >= 2 && playersOnTeamY == playersOnTeamX)
match is legal.
(there are two or more players on each team AND the teams are even)
---mr64bit

Frank The Tank
Corporal
Corporal
Posts: 54
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:28 pm

Re: Additional Official Match option

Post by Frank The Tank » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:11 pm

We actually thought whomever wrote this rule was rather very clever. They clearly avoided saying team numbers had to be of equal or unequal numbers. Instead they said at least 2. In other words no less than 2 players on either team, period. There are rules in place for when a team is forced to have only 1 player during a match as follows;
We started a match 2v2, and someone had to leave, what happens now?
A: Preferably, the match will be paused, and a substitute can be found. If not, both teams should agree to either: cancel the match or continue the match at another time. If both teams do not agree to this, then one of two things must happen:
1) If the leading team has lost a player, the match is simply cancelled.
2) If the trailing team lost the player, it is a forfeit, and the score at the time of losing the player is entered./quote]

There is no clarification anywhere for when a team number becomes an unequal number in greater numbers than 2.
Just because teams have been playing in equal numbers within the framework of the rules doesn't mean this is a rule. It means this is the norm.
Members of the GU League Council have played with unequal numbers, you haven't just invented fire you know.

To have a team play with a greater number than the opposition should like most rules in a match require consensus. Again we stress the point it is good to make this more publicly acceptable to have unequal numbers. Surely that is the goal here and the spirit in which the game is played. The rule does need alteration or interpretation it is quite clear
at least 2 players
[/u].

Unfortunately most newbie teams will not know what on earth we are talking about or that this rule and your public awareness of it exists.
Would suggest that if you really want get the message across to new teams unequal numbers are acceptable, that it be posted to their team mail box. BUT please simplify what is written as the subject matter(had to read it twice to understand what was being said). Even if it is written in the Q & A type approach like the FAQ's section of the rules. Also consider including reference to consensus over using PC's during a match, which fundamentally was the point or tip we were here to make.

Have fun Matching!!

User avatar
kierra
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Posts: 3619
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2005 1:02 am
Location: outer Slovenia
Contact:

Re: Additional Official Match option

Post by kierra » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:05 pm

Frank the Tank: ICE have been doing this for over a year, played a 5 v 2 once.
EIE have also matched with an opposition of greater numbers, even some other teams have tried it.
Just because you did it a year+ ago...means nothing. You took a clarification of a 1v1 question and applied it to a situation out of context to the initial question. So after 6+ years of evenly teamed officials matches never being called into question, your misinterpretation in the past of this answer to 1v1 question misled you to assume that uneven matches were ok. You were wrong to assume so. Water under the bridge now.
Members of the GU League Council have played with unequal numbers,
Yes, we have, in fun matches to test things out.

Hence this thread.... to make the gu community aware of the change for official matches.

Would be nice to have feedback on how the community finds this option. Which is the original purpose of this thread. Feedback please :)
"Trying to reason with a fool is like trying to teach a goldfish to bring you the newspaper"
"Sometimes people try to expose what's wrong with you, because they can't handle what's right about you."
"Measure your words -- they determine the distance of your relationships"

klavier
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:54 pm

Re: Additional Official Match option

Post by klavier » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:09 am

Well, I guess I will act as the voice of the people. The rule is fine by me... It will make matches against newer teams more fun, to be sure. But I can also foresee some complaints in the future, so players will probably need to explicitly agree about the uneven teams multiple times.

User avatar
Snake12534
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 216
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:41 pm
Location: San Jose, California

Re: Additional Official Match option

Post by Snake12534 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:20 pm

Ok let me just lay the facts out there, you said sucky teams will have more fun vsing harder teams, here is the thing most ppl define sucky as a zelo of under 900. There is only one team that sucky, and its my team, the REPTILES. The reptiles never have 3 ppl at once logged in. What is basically the point of this if the newer teams YOU MUST KNOW that NO new team has a lot of players (unless if you are pam) Fruit cakes aren't really exactly a new team. So really, reptiles have no use for this option, and I bet many teams I.e. Angels of Death won't either. I'm NOT saying this option is BAD and should be PROHIBITED, I'm saying most new teams and newbie teams won't actually be able to use this, unless you are in Pams team I repeat. You guys should still keep this option, but how about a handicap option! When the other oppenents stronger team has only down to 2 shots or slower reloading, or slower speed. In fact I'm gonna make this a topic.
retired

User avatar
kierra
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Posts: 3619
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2005 1:02 am
Location: outer Slovenia
Contact:

Re: Additional Official Match option

Post by kierra » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:00 am

For some new teams that have a hard time attracting more mates, you might look at the history of your own behavior.
While the present can certainly overcome the past, it will take time for players to forget the nonsense and the annoying behavior.
"Trying to reason with a fool is like trying to teach a goldfish to bring you the newspaper"
"Sometimes people try to expose what's wrong with you, because they can't handle what's right about you."
"Measure your words -- they determine the distance of your relationships"

User avatar
FiringSquad
Sergeant
Sergeant
Posts: 834
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:53 pm
Location: Ireland

Re: Additional Official Match option

Post by FiringSquad » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:30 pm

If everybody who started playing GU-League started their own team, then there would be no teams.
If a team is too small to be viable then you need to get new members or think about disbanding and joining other teams.
Teams will generally have a mixture of experienced and learning players. If all members of a team are learners, then who do they expect to learn from?

Not everybody is experienced enough in life to be a good team captain. Keeping a team active and motivated is not an easy task.
If you're having problems achieving this then perhaps some other member of your team could help as co-captain or even take over.
If somebody can do a better job, then that will be a good opportunity for you to learn for a future team of your own.

Perhaps it would be better to gain some experience on an established team first.

User avatar
joevano
General
General
Posts: 1863
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2005 1:08 pm
Location: South Bend, Indiana, USA

Re: Additional Official Match option

Post by joevano » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:51 pm

FiringSquad wrote:Perhaps it would be better to gain some experience on an established team first.
Probably some of the best advise for new players in any league!
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln

User avatar
Snake12534
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 216
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:41 pm
Location: San Jose, California

Re: Additional Official Match option

Post by Snake12534 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:03 am

Ok as said, The Reptiles is not a new team (since January 9th) we still lost 49/51 matches. I tried other teams before, those including of embers and angels of death for quite some time. Close to a few months, I tried it, hasn't work. I had let Uncle Lightning led the team for a few months, and a week every so often. Nothing changes, now kierra you say its my annoying behavior? If you guys think its my non-sense that is keeping my team down please tell me. Cuz I am truly sorry for my behavior, I just tend to blurt out. Sorry all but like said, "Past Overcomes Present" - Snake12534
retired

User avatar
Snake12534
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 216
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:41 pm
Location: San Jose, California

Re: Additional Official Match option

Post by Snake12534 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:44 am

Don't think any uneven match will occur in the forseeable future.
retired

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests