NEW GU LEAGUE OPTION

Discussion for GU League Players
Snake12534
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: NEW GU LEAGUE OPTION

Post by Snake12534 »

Jonathan4 wrote:50% of that 80% is due to your kicking.
No if I counted that it would be 95% leaving. I only kick when I know for sure they do not play bzflag anymore. They were inactive for close to 7 months. That is why.
retired
Snake12534
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Snake12534 »

blast wrote:
Snake12534 wrote:NTH, I had learned that winning is not how you suceed in the league, but improving does. The thing about Reptiles is that, we want to actually have fun using a small advantage. Stats: 80% of my mates over thr past year left Reptiles due to the fact we are losing. They would like to have fun on a team that wins often. I, as a leader, is speaking for my mates, not myself. I believe that a small advantage is not required, and we should improve. But if i support this, my teammates would leave. Thankfully some a few of my teammates support this such as Keke14 and Uncle lightning. Though a few is not enough in order to be an active team. For example, one of my best mates (not the best, but great) Slyther366 left my team because we kept losing. I was hoping we would improve enough to win a battle, but I was too late. Also, most recently, my mate Queezle left the team due to the same reason. Now I hope you understand what I am trying to say here. Thank you & please give me your opinion.
It sounds like you should just disband the team and then you can all join other teams that need players so that you can get better. Then maybe later split off those and make your own team again.
Funny you said that, I already had tried that a couple of times. It does not work out for me. Of course, I figured that I am going to get better by 1v1 and watching leader. This had worked and it is still working. My dodging is much more improved. My tactics of shooting is more efficent. And more other skills. but like i said, its not about me, its about my team actually trying to have fun in the league.
retired
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

If you'd have to effectively cheat to win, is that really fun?
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Snake12534
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Snake12534 »

blast wrote:If you'd have to effectively cheat to win, is that really fun?
It Is not cheating. It is like an even match. 2 pros vs 2 newbies with a small advantage. It helps give the better team a challenge and fun. It also helps the losing team and giving them fun as well.
retired
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

You just want an unfair advantage so you can win. Thus why I said it's effectively cheating. If the thought of losing matches bothers you, then I'll say it again: competitive play may not be for you.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Snake12534
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Snake12534 »

blast wrote:You just want an unfair advantage so you can win. Thus why I said it's effectively cheating. If the thought of losing matches bothers you, then I'll say it again: competitive play may not be for you.
. We as a team just want to have fun. We don't wanna cheat.
retired
FiringSquad
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by FiringSquad »

You are confusing fun with winning. It is also fun to improve.
It seems like you are saying the only way you can win is to cheat or change the game, therefore change the game or you will cheat.
Allowing for matches that are asymmetrical, with the less-skilled team having more players on the field is already a sizeable rule-change and should be more than enough to cater for learning teams.
mr64bit
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by mr64bit »

Snake, my guess is that you think the other teams have an "unfair advantage" (they are better than you). So now you want an unfair advantage to cancel theirs and make it even.
But look at it this way. Do the other teams have an "unfair advantage"? If so, where did they get it. Do you think they just downloaded the client and were immediately just as awesome as they are now? Lets look as some stats from one of the teams you played, The Friendly Guys.
destroyer joined in 2005,
rex joined in 2005,
mania joined in 2006,
FFFrancis joined in 2006,
red-der joined in 2008,
Are you starting to see the point? Quite a few GU players have been playing for many years, and you just joined BZFlag less than two months ago! Everybody tells you (and will keep telling you) that to get better you have to practice. And you are giving up because you expect to be as good as a player who has been playing for 2, 3, 4 years just because you practiced for two months.
---mr64bit
kierra
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by kierra »

To add to those stats: look at how many matches some of the teams have played. FF >6000. TFG >2500, EIE almost 4000. FF has been at the bottom of the team roster and at the top of the roster (twice). It's an ebb and flow. Yes, it can be discouraging to be losing all the while but being near the bottom has it's advantages...you lose fewer points against the better teams, you gain experience and skill with each match vs the more skilled teams.

Another thing to consider: How many 1v1s do you (or anyone) play and not just hix, but ducati as well.
I think red-der who came in '08 has played almost 2400 official1v1's (not to mention the fms as well)and he wasn't that good when he started. I know because I beat him a couple times in his early days.
If your focus is to win, you won't have fun. If your focus is to improve your game....you're going to have to put some time and effort into it.
"Sometimes people try to expose what's wrong with you, because they can't handle what's right about you."
"Measure your words -- they determine the distance of your relationships"
"If serving is beneath you, leadership is beyond ypu."
Snake12534
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Snake12534 »

mr64bit wrote:Snake, my guess is that you think the other teams have an "unfair advantage" (they are better than you). So now you want an unfair advantage to cancel theirs and make it even.
But look at it this way. Do the other teams have an "unfair advantage"? If so, where did they get it. Do you think they just downloaded the client and were immediately just as awesome as they are now? Lets look as some stats from one of the teams you played, The Friendly Guys.
destroyer joined in 2005,
rex joined in 2005,
mania joined in 2006,
FFFrancis joined in 2006,
red-der joined in 2008,
Are you starting to see the point? Quite a few GU players have been playing for many years, and you just joined BZFlag less than two months ago! Everybody tells you (and will keep telling you) that to get better you have to practice. And you are giving up because you expect to be as good as a player who has been playing for 2, 3, 4 years just because you practiced for two months.
2 months??? I had played bzflag for close to 5 years. I played on mofo at 1st for the 1st 4 years. I then last year created Snake12534 and on January joined the gu league. This is my almost 5th year of bzflag, 1 year of Snake12534, and 11 months of GU League. The only reason why it said 2 months is because my account was deleted (reasons are private and are discussed bewtween me and blast) and was re-activated 2 months ago or so. So inferring this, I'm a pretty "old" player.
retired
Snake12534
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Snake12534 »

kierra wrote:To add to those stats: look at how many matches some of the teams have played. FF >6000. TFG >2500, EIE almost 4000. FF has been at the bottom of the team roster and at the top of the roster (twice). It's an ebb and flow. Yes, it can be discouraging to be losing all the while but being near the bottom has it's advantages...you lose fewer points against the better teams, you gain experience and skill with each match vs the more skilled teams.

Another thing to consider: How many 1v1s do you (or anyone) play and not just hix, but ducati as well.
I think red-der who came in '08 has played almost 2400 official1v1's (not to mention the fms as well)and he wasn't that good when he started. I know because I beat him a couple times in his early days.
If your focus is to win, you won't have fun. If your focus is to improve your game....you're going to have to put some time and effort into it.
Well, Reptiles is partially an inactive team due to mates. In big point: I don't really care about (kinda, not as much though :) ) Zelo Team Rating. Ik that we increase major points, but how can I do this when my mates keep leaving, and I can't even official? I believe new gu players aren't really here to lose. They wanna win, and feel that pride that makes them "have fun" while players like me don't care as much. And my 1v1 score was erase cuz of etc... Stuff and Stuff.. My job as leader is to make my mates actually wanna be in Reptiles.
retired
Snake12534
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Snake12534 »

FiringSquad wrote:You are confusing fun with winning. It is also fun to improve.
It seems like you are saying the only way you can win is to cheat or change the game, therefore change the game or you will cheat.
Allowing for matches that are asymmetrical, with the less-skilled team having more players on the field is already a sizeable rule-change and should be more than enough to cater for learning teams.
I know its fun both ways, winning or losing. But my mates feel as if winning is not fun.
retired
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

Snake12534 wrote: My job as leader is to make my mates actually wanna be in Reptiles.
Agreed. They need to be inspired by you. Maybe you are not ready to have your own team.
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
Snake12534
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Snake12534 »

joevano wrote:
Snake12534 wrote: My job as leader is to make my mates actually wanna be in Reptiles.
Agreed. They need to be inspired by you. Maybe you are not ready to have your own team.
The question is when though? And how? I had been leader of Reptiles for 11 months.
retired
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

But have you been a leader in action, or a leader in title only?

Snake12534
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Snake12534 »

blast wrote:But have you been a leader in action, or a leader in title only?
Great question. Thought it is quite hard to explain due to the fact I can't judge myself? But here is what I did: Encourage to do offi, pratice daily in fms and 1v1, tell my mates to be active and take all their hard work on the battlefield. I send my team weekly updates of how we are doing, and how to improve ourselves with tips and etc. I have a voting system and rank system in my team to encourage my mates to be "active" there are many, many things. But the only way to tell it, is when I pm my team, ill pm u as well. But basicially, I believe I try my best, I take pride in my work, even when it fails. Also. I even check my mates schedule daily on strayers. I then see if I can play that time. Wish me luck :D
retired
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Snake12534 wrote:But the only way to tell it, is when I pm my team, ill pm u as well.
If you mean you'll PM me, please don't.

Snake12534
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Snake12534 »

blast wrote:
Snake12534 wrote:But the only way to tell it, is when I pm my team, ill pm u as well.
If you mean you'll PM me, please don't.
Ok, I was actually going to, but thanks for the heads-up.
retired