GU league tournament suggestion

Discussion for GU League Players
MYTH
Private First Class
Private First Class

GU league tournament suggestion

Post by MYTH »

The past few days I have been thinking about the idea of a randomized tournament. What I mean by this is whoever would want to play in a tournament would sign up and then we could randomize players and assign them to teams. We play a bunch of matches that day and the team with the most wins is the winner. I like the idea of this because it will give people a chance to meet new people and make "new friends." And it would give players a chance to play matches with other people. I think this would be a fun day and most people would enjoy it.

Basic Idea
-Players sign up
-Players get assigned to random teams
-Those teams work together in matches to see how many wins they can get throughout the day

Please leave your feedback below and maybe something like this could happen.
rustlerspeed
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: GU league tournament suggestion

Post by rustlerspeed »

Hello,
I think its a great idea but could use a few tweaks. First we need the GU League admins to approve of this, and be able to administer the event. Secondly, (not really a tweak) we need to set a date that is within the next 2 weeks; so that people that want to play and can't play during Christmas time, can play. Pen-ultimately, we need to figure out a time that is great for all time zones. Finally, we need to make sure that the teams are even enough and that there are subs available.

Taking up some responsibility and some love for bzflag from my heart, I would gladly help out setting up this event; such as discussing official times, making teams etc...
Everyone interested can post on the forums and/or pm me for details on if you can make it and what time you are thinking of to play this tournament. I will gather this information within the next week or so and make an official list of players and time for this event.
Whatever doesn't kill you, only makes you stronger.
Snake12534
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Snake12534 »

I am agreeing with rustlerspeed. It is quite complicated to set this up. Though, overall, I would prefer a tournament.
retired
rustlerspeed
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by rustlerspeed »

Thanks for the quick response. I am thinking of 12/8/12 (about 2 weeks from now on a saturday) as a good date. Can I have some feedback on this date, and also some ideas on a good time to host this tournament. (Depending on where the majority of the players are from, a server will be chosen to host this on).
Snake12534
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Snake12534 »

rustlerspeed wrote:Thanks for the quick response. I am thinking of 12/8/12 (about 2 weeks from now on a saturday) as a good date. Can I have some feedback on this date, and also some ideas on a good time to host this tournament. (Depending on where the majority of the players are from, a server will be chosen to host this on).
Well I'm thinking either On Saturday 12/8/12 At 7PM PST, California. Or Sunday 12/9/12 At 9AM PST or 10AM PST. After all a lot of players play at night time (California) or Morning time (California)
retired
rustlerspeed
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by rustlerspeed »

Again thanks for your quick responses and ideas. I understand your idea for Sunday, but for religious purposes and for people that go out or rest on Sundays. I think its best on Saturday 12/8/12 or the following weekend(12/15/12). Thanks for the suggestion on time too! Can you put that into terms of GMT time.
** For future reference post your timezone as well as GMT to see about where you are (for server location).**
FiringSquad
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by FiringSquad »

I'm willing to do anything I can to promote fun and activity in the league.
Have you figured out how many active players you will need to make it viable?
MYTH
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by MYTH »

For me 12-15-12 would work best and i am located on east coast

Date wanted: 12-15-12
Time Zone: Eastern Standard Time

I would also suggest making teams of 4 so we could have 3s matches instead of lame twos and there will always be a sub on sideline.
I would say we need at least 16 players to make 4 teams. The more the better.
Last edited by MYTH on Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
ironfist
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ironfist »

I don't really have much say on the date, because I'm a day ahead than most of the people who play (due to timezones). As of right now any day is fine for me with holidays on and same with the time.
The light at the end of the tunnel... might always be a oncoming train.
kierra
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by kierra »

Not to take away from a tournament idea, but something to consider for future event is a Matchathon
Not a lot of planning necessary. Pick a Saturday or a full weekend and the team that matches the most wins the Matchathon. Doesn't matter win/lose/draw ....it's the total number of matches played by a team.

That said, anyway i can help, let me know. Dec is tough for me though
"Sometimes people try to expose what's wrong with you, because they can't handle what's right about you."
"Measure your words -- they determine the distance of your relationships"
"If serving is beneath you, leadership is beyond ypu."
rustlerspeed
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by rustlerspeed »

Thanks for the feedback guys. As of match size, again it depends on how many people can play but I'm aiming for at least 5v5.

**As of date we have 2 official options which I need feedback on too. It can be hosted either on Saturday 12/8/12 or Saturday 12/15/12.**

Regarding tournament schedule, I think we should play an odd number of matches 1,3, or 5 30 minute matches; so that the win is clear, but assuring everyone had fun.

Faith: What time on 12/15/12 is good for you and probably good for others?

FiringSquad: Thanks for bringing up the idea, helps a lot!
MYTH
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by MYTH »

Anytime Saturday 12-15-12
rustlerspeed
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by rustlerspeed »

Thank you kierra for your willingness to help, all help is needed.
As for a date on the tournament we have 2 choices which need to be voted on by anyone that can think they can play.
**Saturday 12/8/12 OR Saturday 12/15/12**

As of now feedback is needed on date and time, after this we can continue.
MYTH
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by MYTH »

rustlerspeed wrote:Thank you kierra for your willingness to help, all help is needed.
As for a date on the tournament we have 2 choices which need to be voted on by anyone that can think they can play.
**Saturday 12/8/12 OR Saturday 12/15/12**

As of now feedback is needed on date and time, after this we can continue.
12-15-12
I think between 1-5 Eastern standard time would suit most people
rustlerspeed
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by rustlerspeed »

Thanks Mythic for your response. I also agree for 12/15/12 as it gives players more time to block out time for this tournament. 2 votes for 12/15/12 so far.
As of time I also agree with Mythic anytime between 1-5 EMT sounds good. ( I will look at strayer stats and some databases to see when most GU players are on)
Any other suggestions?
MYTH
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by MYTH »

Depending on Locations of players. Lets say 10 Americans and 12 euros. if there are 10 matches... 5 at each server
rustlerspeed
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by rustlerspeed »

Good idea, but if its more 10 euros and 2 americans, then they should all be hosted in Europe.
**Again, there are 2 votes for 12/15/12 and 0 votes for 12/8/12**
Any suggestions are open for discussion regarding the tournament and right now geared towards time and date. (Ideas for time, somewhere between 1-5 EMT and 7 PST)I'm leaning towards 1-5 pm EMT and still checking for info on when most players are active.
Snake12534
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Snake12534 »

I can only do 3:OO GMT Time. (3AM UTC/GMT and 7PM PST time. I prefer 12/8/12 On a saturday.
retired
rustlerspeed
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by rustlerspeed »

Ok thanks for posting in both time zones. Just one concern is that this will be around dinner time and it should be earlier or later. More suggestions on time.
For date is as follows:
12/15/12 has 2 votes | 12/8/12 has 1 vote(s)
Bringing up an idea, if we have at least 4v4, or 5v5 we can have tournaments for both of these dates. For now please focus on one date as I am unsure of the turnout.
rustlerspeed
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by rustlerspeed »

**Making an official announcement. This event will take place on 12/15/12 on a Saturday due to planning purposes and synthesizing ideas together to make this work.**
As of time, we can also make it 9-10 GMT like Rikers because everyone already liked that time and it is recommended.
Lave
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Lave »

What time? I may be able to play in it.
Snake12534
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Snake12534 »

rustlerspeed wrote:**Making an official announcement. This event will take place on 12/15/12 on a Saturday due to planning purposes and synthesizing ideas together to make this work.**
As of time, we can also make it 9-10 GMT like Rikers because everyone already liked that time and it is recommended.
Please be more clear, 9am GMT or 9PM GMT. If AM, impossible for me to play, and if PM, Ill have to check with my boss.
retired
red-der
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by red-der »

9 or 10 GMT PM of course.
:doh:
Snake12534
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Snake12534 »

red-der wrote:9 or 10 GMT PM of course.
:doh:
Yes. Yes. Just to check. :book:
retired
Queezle
Private
Private

Post by Queezle »

It sounds good. I dont think I can do it but if anything changes I'll let you know. Good luck setting it up. :D