Funmatch Tournament

Discussion for GU League Players
macsforme
General
General

Funmatch Tournament

Post by macsforme »

There will be a GU funmatch tournament on Saturday, October 26, 2013 starting at 17:30 GMT. Basically you will buddy up with one teammate (and add a third player as an alternate, if you like) and compete in a series of 2vs2 funmatches in a single-elimination bracket. There are no restrictions on what teammate(s) you may choose. You will need to register your team at least 48 hours prior to the event date to participate. There is a limit of 16 total teams.

For event information, rules, and registration, visit:
http://doubles.guleague.org

The web site code is brand new, so please report any bugs or other issues by sending me a PM. Post here with any questions.
brad
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Funmatch Tournament

Post by brad »

How long does the whole thing last for? Is it just 1 day?

I'm signed up!
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

brad wrote:How long does the whole thing last for? Is it just 1 day?

I'm signed up!
Matches will be one after the other on the half hour until there is a winner. If it fills up with all 16 possible teams, the whole thing should be over in about 2 hours.
Snake12534
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Snake12534 »

Very similar to the Team Elimination Cup, but sounds like this one is going to work! :) Sign me up, I will be pairing with brad.

Edit: Nevermind, brad has turned me down for someone who is not a noob.

Double Edit: I will still play though!
retired
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

Snake12534 wrote:Very similar to the Team Elimination Cup, but sounds like this one is going to work! :)
It is only fair for me to mention that Snake12534's idea for a new GU event was a partial inspiration for this, although the event format ended up going in a somewhat different direction.
Snake12534
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Snake12534 »

How will the teams be chosen, at randon or by democracy? Also, since it is single elemination, I hope that teams are chosen fairly. And what will happen in a result of a tie? Are there any sub'ing allowed at any moment if you have many people in your team? Will player(s) be not allowed to play due to certain restrictions of lag and jitt/pl. If player unexpectedly leaves, and no sub is present, will the match be forfeited to either winning or losing team, or will the opposite team wait. If so, how long?

Thank you.
retired
kierra
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by kierra »

Snake, I believe most, if not all your questions are answered if you click on the link consti provided for the doubles tourney in his first post and read it to its entirety.
"Sometimes people try to expose what's wrong with you, because they can't handle what's right about you."
"Measure your words -- they determine the distance of your relationships"
"If serving is beneath you, leadership is beyond ypu."
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

Snake12534 wrote:How will the teams be chosen, at randon or by democracy? Also, since it is single elemination, I hope that teams are chosen fairly.
I presume you are asking how teams will be matched up against each other. The purpose of using the initial seeding to assign teams to slots in the bracket is to prevent the two probable final match contestants from meeting too early. Basically, the higher your seeding, the lower your competitor's seeding will be, although this is an oversimplification. Here is an example of how team assignments would work if twelve teams were registered, if the higher-seeded team won every match:

Round of 16: #5 vs #12, #6 vs #11, #7 vs #10, #8 vs #9, top four teams automatically advance to the round of 8
Round of 8: #1 vs #8, #2 vs #7, #3 vs #6, #4 vs #5
Semifinals: #1 vs #4, #2 vs #3
Final: #1 vs #2
Snake12534 wrote:Are there any sub'ing allowed at any moment if you have many people in your team?
Substituting is allowed at any time, just like any other funmatch. You can only have a total of three people on your team. You can invite as many teamless players to your team as you like (they will be listed on your profile in gray until they accept), but once three total players have joined the remaining invitations will be deleted and you cannot invite anyone else.
Snake12534 wrote:Will player(s) be not allowed to play due to certain restrictions of lag and jitt/pl.
There are no restrictions on lag. Competitors should choose a server with the best overall lag for the players participating. There is no formal rule on jitter/packet loss, but if one player has severe network problems affecting the match, an admin might require him to pause or find a substitute until the problems are resolved.

The rest of your questions are answered on the tournament information page.
Snake12534
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Snake12534 »

Thank you Constitution for the answers to my questions. If I may ask, when 16 teams had registered before the closing of registration date (by a week or 2 maybe), will the event still occur on October 26, or will it be moved to sooner date?
retired
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

Snake12534 wrote:Thank you Constitution for the answers to my questions. If I may ask, when 16 teams had registered before the closing of registration date (by a week or 2 maybe), will the event still occur on October 26, or will it be moved to sooner date?
No, the event date/time would remain the same.
Snake12534
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Snake12534 »

I may ask if I could record the matches, (hopefully all of them if I can, since it takes a lot of time to record for a long time) I do not promise that I will however, since I might not be able to make it. If I do though, would it be okay for me to record this event and upload it on youtube?
retired
Zac
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zac »

No.
That being said, no one is stopping you from recording them.
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

This is a reminder that registration for this event will end this Thursday, October 24th, at 17:30 GMT. At that time, teams will be frozen, ratings will be refreshed one last time, and the elimination table will be posted. Right now the number of entries is at the total event capacity, but teams may still register on the waiting list in case a team withdraws. Please remember that if no players from your team show up on time for a match, you will forfeit the match. There is only 10 minutes between each match so there is not much time for late starts. Because there can be no further manipulation of teams after the event close time, teams are encouraged to ensure that at least two members can arrive for the event on time, and are also encouraged to add third player as an alternate just in case.
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

Registration is now closed and the elimination table has been announced: http://doubles.guleague.org

Here is a universal clock with the start time of the event: http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/f ... 31026T1730
lep
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by lep »

Best of luck to all the partners/trios that are participating in the tournament.

-ll
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

Congratulations to orbit and slime for taking first place in this event. The complete results are posted on the event site. Thanks to all who participated; I hope it was enjoyable. If there is interest in having this event again, please let me know.
brad
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by brad »

Another one please!