New Tournament Cup

Discussion for GU League Players
An SQUERRILz
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: New Tournament Cup

Post by An SQUERRILz »

SillySir wrote:The ORIGINAL idea was for a noob cup...but that is too exclusive.
It is a good idea to have it open to all, but to appease the greater good you should say that all Riker participants get lowest priority in the queue. That said, if you really found more than a 10 vs 10 of people who actually show up, I don't see how that could be a bad thing to have larger teams.
dang dizzy white
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dang dizzy white »

I'm in total favour for a Cup that's open for everyone. We could say that would bring a spice of "The Last Man Standing", only with teams. Furthermore, creating random teams on the spot would make things more interesting, IMHO.
Kesslar
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Kesslar »

Sub, that is what we are trying to do, just do it ourselves, but you aren't helping, so please if you have nothing constructive to say, then don't say anything, you have told us what you think is wrong and why it won't work, thank you, now, we will proceed to fix those problems :)
if that is all, please stop posting about why this will never work lol, that's all i'm saying lol :)
sillysir
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by sillysir »

So I have a website started: gusillycup.tk

Right now I am calling it the Silly Cup, but that can be changed easily. :P

Please suggest and comment.
silly :P
dang dizzy white
Private First Class
Private First Class

You are putting too much drama into it, Kesslar.
I've said I don't see an efficient path myself, and that if no one would see it, then we would be unable to proceed. That's quite different from "never going to happen", unless you directly equalled the situation in which we really won't find such a system. However, note that I was speaking of "inexperienced players only" when saying all that, open for everyone is a different story.

Looking good, Silly, we have a "base" for it set-up now.
If we are going for a tournament that's open for everyone with 2 teams that are randomly generated on the spot, I must make sure: Are you planning on using HiX for the map? Although it wouldn't really matter that much, a new skill-map would be good to have. It would make things feel more new and interesting.
sillysir
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by sillysir »

Well GU hix is my favorite league/map and I originally intended for another cup with hix. So preferably any official hix map would work.

Another possibility, could be using figurines new map: hixurines. However, it does have some limits...such as 10min matches, 5v5,etc.
dang dizzy white
Private First Class
Private First Class

Hixurines is HiX, just with different variables set. I was focusing on objects and how they are set completely as a whole. Well, I guess HiX is classic, so I'll just blend in with this idea.
Snake12534
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Snake12534 »

SillySir wrote: Another possibility, could be using figurines new map: hixurines. However, it does have some limits...such as 10min matches, 5v5,etc.
I believe it would be best to use a normal GU official server; at least for this first sillycup.
retired
sillysir
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by sillysir »

Yea, I think its best to stick with the normal HiX map.

The other thing I would like to discuss is what about substitutes? Such as people who have connection issues, unable to play for some reason, etc. Teams will need a few players to sit back and wait to play if needed. Will these extra players just be chosen randomly when the team is chosen? Such as if every team is randomly given 13 players, then only 10 will play at a time, and the 3 extra players (chosen by the team/or team captain) will be the substitutes. Or we could have a separate group where people can just be subs. Perhaps even the people who signed up, but didn't get a spot. And then they would just wait and whenever needed, jump in for any team?

Also note that each match will be played on the server closest to the majority of the players. So will the date and time of each match. As soon as the teams are formed, Team A and Team B will get together and decide a time/date that works best. The server chosen will be wherever is closest to the majority of people where they will be located at the time of match.
Snake12534
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Snake12534 »

You did not add on your information page; how long would the sillycup be?

Will it occur over a few days or just one day. If so, how long?
retired
sillysir
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by sillysir »

Ok, I added that.
How long will the cup last?

The cup will last as long as it takes to complete all 5 matches and any needed rematches. If enough players are able to complete the matches within a day, then it will last one day. Matches will be scheduled to be played as soon as possible.
Basically if the teams are able to play one match after another, then it will be played that way. The first match date and time will be determined as soon as the teams are formed. After that match is played and a winner/loser is declared, then the next match will be scheduled. If possible, the next match could be 5 minutes after the first. If not possible, it may take a week or two. The date and time is determined by a consensus of the teams playing. Which is another reason why we need to decide how subs will work...because is someone is unable to attend or attend the full amount...then subs will be needed.
sillysir
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by sillysir »

Ok, so we have now reached 15 players signed up. I have contacted 2 more, and they should be signed up within a few days. This will make it 4 players per team. I have asked a lot of players, and its kinda down the middle, some want small teams ~3 players, others want 6 or 7. I would prefer to choose 4, since 1) we have the players already and 2) a lot of other tournaments, including the riker, have been made and they are either 2v2 or big 10v10. So, perhaps to be different, we could do 4v4 this time. And who knows, maybe once we do this, we will decide we want more or less players. If all goes well, this won't be the only time the Silly Cup occurs.

What about any GU admins....anyone want to join in or at least support it? I'm not sure how needed it will be, but it would be very nice if we could have an admin monitor the troublemakers, such as they do in the Riker Cup. For any annoying obs or anything.

So once we officially have enough members, I will go ahead and randomize and make the teams. Once made, I will post on the website and get the teams to come up with a date/time that works. I think once we have the teams setup, we will still allow others to sign up. Perhaps the extras will turn into possible substitutes.

Any comments/suggestions/ideas? :)
dang dizzy white
Private First Class
Private First Class

Unless you want to run this on an already existing GU Match Server(s), the Cup itself could have its own admins/cops selected.
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

Don't forget to account for the fact that some of the players who registered may not show up.

As for support from the admins, it should not be difficult to get some of us to show up. However, until you have the date and time set in stone, it will probably be hard to get solid commitments.
An SQUERRILz
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by An SQUERRILz »

Wait why is it 4 teams? :(
Even if you split 20 people into 2 teams you could just shuffle teams each time (or have new captains or whatever) and say whoever was on the most successful teams (winning/drawing) wins.
sillysir
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by sillysir »

jade, how could u not know it was 4 teams until right now. ;P

I suggested the tournament thing and ran with it on the 3rd or so reply. I made a flowchart and FAQ on the website that clearly shows 4 teams. You signed up too......

I think 4 teams is still best and unique. It allows all teams to compete at least twice and have more teams, more fun. Instead of just a big cluster of 2 teams in one match, we have 4 decent sized teams in 5 matches.

@Constitution
I am still getting new players to join...if not enough can show up, we should have several extra players.

@Sub
I think it would be easier to have a preexisting gu server. Since there are several around the world, it would also give us some options. But then again, if we got others to host or I could even host with someone like BZAddict.net and make people admins....idk tho.
dang dizzy white
Private First Class
Private First Class

SillySir wrote:I think it would be easier to have a preexisting gu server. Since there are several around the world, it would also give us some options. But then again, if we got others to host or I could even host with someone like BZAddict.net and make people admins....idk tho.
You pick. I only pointed that out because the current GU Match Servers already have their Usergroups set, and I doubt they would be willing to edit them at any point.
As a part of the BZAddict.net Staff now, I can vouch for BZA. Although I would have to have a word with Cruel Dog about it first. If nothing else would be found, I could handle the part. However, it's purely your choice, of course.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Sub wrote:the current GU Match Servers already have their Usergroups set, and I doubt they would be willing to edit them at any point.
I'd say that's a poor assumption. I've set up a custom server for the Riker cup, as did the other hosts. Why would it be so difficult to do it for this as well? If it's going to be a GU event, why not use GU servers? That way the replays can be on GU replay servers to be watched later.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

dang dizzy white
Private First Class
Private First Class

The replays could be done on other servers as well. Regardless, GU focuses on HiX as a map, and at that time it wasn't certain yet if we will indeed use HiX as the map (if I'm not mistaken).
Keeping how an assumption is good or bad aside, you have replied to the thread, which is the only thing needed.
Now, can I assume your post as volunteering to host the server for this possible cup, or not? If yes, then we have one big part covered, if not... well, then we just don't.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Well isn't the HiX map kinda the signature of GU? And sure, I could host a server for it.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

sillysir
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by sillysir »

Yea, I would diffidently use the regular HiX map of the GU servers. The reason I am hesitant to have BZAddict or anything else is because of the location of everyone. Since majority of the players, so far, are in the USA, we need some server in the USA. But there are a few players in Europe, so if we could have something on the east coast of USA, that would probably be best for lag issues. Not sure where your server is located, Blast, but if you can host, that would be fantastic! :)

Btw, we do now, officially have 16 players. I'm still advertising for others to sign up. By the first match, I hope to have at least 3 or 4 extra players to fill in as needed.
Snake12534
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Snake12534 »

Well done organizing the Silly Cup, SillySir.

Though, since you had reached the maximum amount of players in the cup, I suggest you lower the amount of days until the Silly Cup. I recommend the Silly Cup should start a week after Thanksgiving, this way it will not interfere with the Holidays coming soon.

Sometime on a weekend during the noon of USA and the evening of EURO during next week or two will be very convenient for players.

-Snake

P.S. I just looked at the player list and 2/15 of the players are EURO/AUSSIE players. Player, sub, I do not know his location.
retired
dang dizzy white
Private First Class
Private First Class

Snake12534 wrote:Player, sub, I do not know his location.
I come from Central Europe (GMT +1).
sillysir
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by sillysir »

I have posted the teams and informed everyone who is in a team.

There will be no longer any regular participant sign ups. However, we still need people to sign up for substitute. If you would like to play temporarily in any match, please sign up. You don't need to commit. Being a sub just means that when a match is happening and you are available, you will play when needed.

Right now I am asking everyone about the first 2 weeks of December for the first match. If we can't get anything, we may just wait till January, after the holidays before anything is started.
dang dizzy white
Private First Class
Private First Class

Yeah, subs would be more than wanted.
Were you planning on making a poll for the subs as well, after they sign up too? By that I mean dedicating each sub to one of the 4 teams, or will it be random and made up on-spot?
SillySir wrote:If we can't get anything, we may just wait till January, after the holidays before anything is started.
We've got nothing but time.