New Tournament Cup

Discussion for GU League Players
Snake12534
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: New Tournament Cup

Post by Snake12534 »

SillySir, I would to make a strong suggestion, you had PM the SillyCup participants on the four days you think would work. I would like to say:

Why 4 days? If I am right, the matches are 30 mins long, and they will be 5 matches total. That will be a total of 2:30 hours excluding ties (which are quite rare). The doubles tournament was hosted in one day and lasted 2:30 hours.

The SillyCup should take place during 2 days maximum IMO. Sundays should be excluded as many players are busy during noon of Sundays. At least I am :P It should take place on a weekend Saturday + Sunday. Try to make Sunday more later if you could please, I really want to make all of the matches, and maybe some others. Maybe even in one day on Saturday if that could happen.

Overall, I believe that the event should be executed in the maximum time of two days.

Thank You

-Snake12534
retired
sillysir
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by sillysir »

I understand, we all want to play all 5 matches and have great fun in a fast reasonable time. Its agonizing to be patient and wait for the final match and a tournament winner to be declared.

However, you must understand that this is 4 teams with 16 players total. The doubles were 4 players, announced only 48 hours with free choice. Its no doubt that it was done quickly.

As I stated above and explained in the FAQ section of the website, the 5 matches will be scheduled to be played as soon as possible and the tournament will last as long as it takes to complete all 5 matches. If all 5 matches can be finished in 1 day, then we will make it that way. If not, we will need to expand the time or gather a bunch of subs.

In the PM and mentioned earlier, the 4 dates listed were the highest likelihood of starting/completing the tournament before the holidays. I did not say matches will be played each day, I said that we would find the most convenient date and start from there. Since we have to start the cup with a match, it will be Team A vs Team B. Thus, I need to get all 8 of those players to make a semi-commitment before we start scheduling the second match...which may be right after.
silly :P
lep
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by lep »

real quick, and correct me if i'm wrong, or if I'm repeating something.

if the loser of match #2 goes on to win match #4 and play in the championship, that team should have to beat the winner of match #3 twice. it seems like it makes a win or loss in the first round pointless.
sillysir
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by sillysir »

Yes, the first 2 matches are not vital. However, this allows for all teams to participate at least twice and rematch. Since the teams were formed randomly, its not exactly fair. These elimination matches can help determine which 2 teams are best overall and able to match in the final.

Plus, all other tournaments are always the classic best out of # matches or a single bracket. So, this is unique. :)

Btw, I have messaged all members of Team A and Team B and I have posted on the website.

The first match will be played on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 1:30pm (Eastern Timezone, UTC -5 hours)
Click here for a time converter and countdown. Also check out the website.

I will contact Team C and Team D soon.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

You should also contact the server host(s) to make sure any special settings are set up and tested prior to the matches starting, if you're not going to play on the standard servers.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

sillysir
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by sillysir »

So I have spoken to several of the regular GU admins, and most of them say they should be available. Therefore, we will have the first match be played on bzbattleground.com:5158
If bzbg server has issues, we will move to gu.bzexcess.com:5157

Hopefully there will be an admin to help keep the match running smoothly. Preferably, it would be nice to be somewhat like Rikers, where the game does not pause. However, since there are no captains, we will just need to have the admins present during the match help out. I'm thinking that they could 1) keep the observers quiet, 2) kick out any player who is excessively lagging/jittering/packet-loss and replace them with a sub, and of course 3) make sure no one cheats ;)

So like I said, if any player during the match has excessive lag, they are to go to obs. Once in obs, the admin present should send in a sub. Subs are chosen based on first-come, first serve sign up. The current list is:

Runruns
black raven
my own bullet
tw1sted
Mythic
Glue

So if Runruns is in obs and wants to play, he gets to sub first. If not him, black raven subs first. If not him, my own bullet, and so on. If there is no one left on that list, then any player available will sub. If no one is available to sub, then the game pauses to figure out another solution.

If there is no admin present, then whoever is lagging, once in observer mode, is in charge of sending a sub.

By the way, this method is also used if the player is unavailable or has other issues. If at 1:30pm (EST, UTC -5), there are missing team players, then at that time, the subs will go in depending on that list. If, for example, Runruns joins after black raven, then black raven has the option to play first.

Sounds good to everyone? Again, the first match will be on Dec 7 at 1:30pm (EST, UTC -5). Second match may be later that day.
Kesslar
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Kesslar »

Just a quick question concerning lag, If some players lag more at bz 85 than at ex 57, then do we just move to ex 57? Like we would go by majority so if 5 of the 8 players have too much lag at bz 58, then would we move the match to ex 57?
sillysir
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by sillysir »

Right, we will go to which ever server works best for the majority.
Kesslar
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Kesslar »

One, last thing, what I think would be fun for this cup is if we could have a mumble server, I have a friend (mr64bit) who is willing to host it, so please either PM him or I if you would like a Chanel.
Snake12534
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Snake12534 »

Kesslar wrote:One, last thing, what I think would be fun for this cup is if we could have a mumble server, I have a friend (mr64bit) who is willing to host it, so please either PM him or I if you would like a Chanel.
I would use TeamSpeak as it more commonly used among league members.
retired
dang dizzy white
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dang dizzy white »

Snake12534 wrote:I would use TeamSpeak as it more commonly used among league members.
TeamSpeak 3, Skype, whatever, there are many live voice chat-rooms out there ready for use.
It is true that TeamSpeak "specializes" into various team conversations, though. I have both, so I'm fine either way.
sillysir
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by sillysir »

I have teamspeak and Skype. Mumble jumble. Hehe. They all seem good to me. I think teamspeak is the easiest for team chat though.
sillysir
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by sillysir »

Well we completed round 1(Match 1 and 2) and started round 2(finished Match 3). All that is left is Match 4 and the Final. Visit the website gusillycup.tk!

In the Matches tab of the website, you will see all the results and upcoming matches. I will also be posting further info like players/subs/stats, etc.
In the FAQ tab of the website, you can learn all there is to know about how this tournament works.

I think overall, the matches today went quiet well. A few hiccups, but we completed more than I planned! :P

Thank you all so much for attending and contributing. Especially the admins, thank you for the help!

Match 4 and the Final match is in the process of being scheduled. Please read this forum and check the website for updated information.
dang dizzy white
Private First Class
Private First Class

Way to go Team C!

SillySir, you might want to edit that Start Time: TBD for the third match, since it's already over.
Snake12534
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Snake12534 »

SillySir, I recommend you post the players that were playing in the cup since the not all original players were present.

Match 1: Team A vs Team B

Team A: zar(original), kesslar(original), sillysir(original), runruns (subbed by slyther366 [original player who was late] with about 26 mins keft)
Team B: ebert, khonkhortisan, krr, op (all original mates to Team B)

Winner: Team B - Score: 7-4

Match 2: Team C vs Team D

Team C: snake12534 (original), sub (original), jadespicy (original), my own bullet (sub for d3ad)
Team D: colormad (csg / original), MLG (original), runruns (sub for _robo_), the other player I had forgot :/

Winner: Team C - Score: 7-1

Match 3: Team C vs Team B

Team C: snake12534(original), runruns(sub for sub), black hawk/raven(sub for d3ad, raven then subbed hawk at last 7 mins), jadespicy(original)
Team B: khonkhortisan (original), james4/mythic (james4 went in first and played approx 3 mins, mythic then subbed j4), ebert (original), orange peanut.

Winner: Team C - Score: 5-1

Team B is eliminated.

Next match: Match 4: Team A vs Team D

Final match: Team C vs Winner of Match 4
retired
sillysir
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by sillysir »

Thanks snake and sub.

I have edited the website and have included a spreadsheet page that includes all players/substitutes/kills/deaths. I took a screenshot at the end of each match, so some of the stats are wrong and some of them I missed. But I find it interesting to look at it. :)

Just go to the Matches tab of the website, and click the "Stats" word link. It will direct you to a page with 5 sheet pages. Click on each tab to switch between matches.
sillysir
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by sillysir »

So the fourth match has been temporarily decided. It may be changed depending on how many people show up. I think there should be a minimum of 5 out of 8 original players to be able to play at start of match.

Team A vs Team D
Saturday, December 14, 2013 at 7:00pm (Eastern Timezone, UTC -5)
Server: bzbattleground.com:5158
Click here for a time converter.

Final match is now in the process of scheduling. Since its the final tournament match, at the start of the final, there must be a minimum of 6 out of 8 original players able to play.
sillysir
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by sillysir »

well we played match 4. Wasn't the greatest...but we finished.

Result: Team D won (6-1)

So the next and final match to play is Team C vs Team D. Winner of that match will be declared the Silly Cup Champion. :)

I'll post details of match 4 on the website soon. I'll also be contacting Team C and D with regards to the final match.

However, with my personal schedule...it seems we have 3 options 1) Someone else can monitor the final match and i will not be present, 2) We play on weekday, 3) We delay for several weeks, probably until January.

When I was talking to Team D and others who were there at end of match 4, they suggested December 16...probably around 1-3pm UTC -5.
Snake12534
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Snake12534 »

I just talked with the players and why is the finals being played early on a Sunday? I and _Robo_ will not be able to make it, so that's 6 / 8 of the original players. You might want to postpone to a later time like 12:01 AM EST, me and robo are very busy on Sundays, and can only play late at night. On Saturdays, I can make it early in the morning and late at night.
retired
dang dizzy white
Private First Class
Private First Class

SillySir wrote:probably around 1-3pm UTC -5.
As Snake and I have said via the PM, that time would be splendid. As long as it is Saturday, that is.
sillysir
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by sillysir »

The date I posted above is Monday morning for you, snake. That was only a suggestion. We could make it Monday evening/night though...but then usually people like Sub can't make it.

And as I said due to my personal schedule, I will be unavailable Saturday or Sunday day for the rest of December. Which leaves us to those options I posted...1) Someone else can monitor the final match and i will not be present, 2) We play on weekday, 3) We delay for several weeks, probably until January.
Snake12534
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Snake12534 »

I suggest we go with option 1. Monday morning, I and and robo have school and I am sure some Americans may have work during that time.
retired
sillysir
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by sillysir »

Again why I suggested something like Monday 8-10pm EST. That would be 5-7pm Pacific.

But if none of that works, we could do it on this upcoming Saturday around 2pm EST. Then we just have someone else who isn't in Team C or D to help start the match, monitor lag/afk and control subbing. This person needs to guarantee presence and will have to watch the entire match.
sillysir
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by sillysir »

Ok, I have decided to post the final match of the Silly Cup to be

Team C vs Team D
Saturday, December 21, 2013 at 2:00pm (Eastern Timezone, UTC -5)
Server: bzbattleground.com:5158
Visit the website for a countdown and information. Click here for a time converter.

Winner of this match is declared Silly Cup Champions and the tournament will be over.

I will not be present at this match, but I will look for someone who can play my role. I will message the teams soon. If 2-3 original players can not make it, we will postpone later that day. If it can not be done that day, we will delay until January.
sillysir
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by sillysir »

btw i have decided that Snake12534 will be in charge of gathering the teams and sending in subs before the match. He is also entitled to start the match when teams are ready. Once the match is in progress, zar will monitor players and manage subbing.