Well, to start, I think the problems with the cup were:
- 1) Not enough players knew the cup existed.
2) I did not give enough time for people to sign up and recognize the process of the cup.
3) The dates and time of each match were not notified far enough in advanced.
4) Subbing was unfair and unpredictable...and with 4 players per team, many subs were needed.
5) 5 matches are too many. We should aim for a maximum of 3.
6) Matches were overall unfair...however the goal of having the final match relatively fair was accomplished. (Team D wasn't a bad competitor, if only people showed up, the rematch with Team C could have been interesting.)
Subbing was diffidently an issue. Some subs were not as good (skill/connection/etc) as the player who should have been playing. Plus, some subs were better than other subs, but I had it organized so the first to sign up always went first. Perhaps this should be arranged ahead of time, perhaps by 'captains'. Also there were several times when not all of the subs showed up, and we had to use observers, which was even more unpredictable...but this goes back to not giving enough time and notice.
So the 5 match, 4 teams, was kinda too much for everyone to keep track of and desire to accomplish. And because of the randomized 4 player teams, the matches were not close at all. Thus, I have come up with a few IDEAS on how to structure the tournament.
- The same concept of 4 random teams remain. The first 2 teams match and the last 2 teams match. (A vs B,C vs D). However, instead of winner/losers match, we combine the winner and losers to make for a fair final match. So the winner of A vs B AND the loser of C vs D combine to make 1 team. Then the winner of C vs D AND the loser of A vs B combine to make 1 team. Those 2 teams match in the 3rd, final match. Winner of that match is declared champions.
Click here for a visual.
Problems I see are 1) Lots of people in the final match we will be dependent on to make it fair/complete. 2) Lack of competition...no real "teams". But that said, my other idea is...
- We keep it simple and original, 4 teams play each other as regular (A vs B, C vs D). Then simply have the winners compete to be declared "Best Champions", then have the losers compete to be declared the "Silliest Champions", so 3 matches total (2 matches may be played at once) but overall 2 titles declared.
Click here for a visual.
If and when we figure out a fun system for this cup that is constant and efficient(which is possible), we should have the opportunity to make the cup 3,4 times a year, if we want. But to keep a good competition, we could have the teams of the first cup remain. Then let those 2 teams either have other players add on or just remove original players. But those teams would remain for several cups. This could increase competition to see who can improve the most.