Riker’s Winter Cup 2014 North America vs Europe/Asia?????

Discussion for GU League Players
hookah
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Riker’s Winter Cup 2014 North America vs Europe/Asia????

Post by hookah »

jadespicy wrote:
Kenshin wrote:The reason it doesn't include australians or people from new zealand is because of the lag.
Then how was Janis allowed to play a full game with 350 lag + PL?

There have been players who've played for both sides (they lived in the corresponding region at the time of Riker?), implying allegiances are subject to preference of both the captains and the players.

Isn't it conceivable that an NA living in EU could play for NA? What about an EU living in Asia? Perhaps like in international sports the only thing that matters is who you end up signing for (by both you and the respective captain agreeing to it). It's about who you represent. Roo was playing for EU not for Asia.

Janis didn't play riker's 2014 and never participated in a riker's cup with a ping more than 80.

Best wishes,
Janis
Frank The Tank
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Frank The Tank »

Blast, I never promoted an assumption the thread was read by an GU Admin, I asked for a signature.

So once the thread has been read by an individual, make it compulsory for each individual to sign off as read, so you all know at least who has read it, example
Rikers thread
Bullet Catcher read, Firing Squad read etc.

But hey, if you don't like the idea of a compulsory voting system, but at least are prepared to try improving on what the current model is, then we are all the better off.
Good luck.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Frank The Tank wrote:Blast, I never promoted an assumption the thread was read by an GU Admin, I asked for a signature.

So once the thread has been read by an individual, make it compulsory for each individual to sign off as read, so you all know at least who has read it, example
Rikers thread
Bullet Catcher read, Firing Squad read etc.

But hey, if you don't like the idea of a compulsory voting system, but at least are prepared to try improving on what the current model is, then we are all the better off.
Good luck.
Well, this is the first time you mentioned a "compulsory voting system". Up until now, it's all been about "automatic votes for those who don't vote". Changing your idea now? And again, what good does posting "I read this" do? It doesn't contribute to the discussion they are having and just pollutes the thread with useless garbage and doesn't express their opinion on the matter. What advantage does your system have over just counting the people who actually discussed the issue?
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

sillysir
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by sillysir »

oh that's real classy guys. Deleting that post. Well done. :evil:

Its one thing to divert around the topic, but another thing to try and silence us.

Frank, you are making it way to complex and are just ignoring blast. Remember the old and precious saying: Keep It Simple, Silly (K.I.S.S.)
silly :P
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

sillysir wrote:oh that's real classy guys. Deleting that post. Well done. :evil:

Its one thing to divert around the topic, but another thing to try and silence us.
What, deleting the post that was posted by a newly registered user using a proxy in order to troll out a reaction? For the record, I deleted that post, not the GU admins.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

sillysir
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by sillysir »

blast wrote: What, deleting the post that was posted by a newly registered user using a proxy in order to troll out a reaction? For the record, I deleted that post, not the GU admins.
For the record, that player, whether his intent was to troll or not, had valuable information for the past 5 years. And I think we can all agree 5 years ago things became the way they are now. And if his intent was to troll, which is completely your bias opinion, you could have handled in a much more mature and civilized way than to abolish his existence and his information. By deleting a post in such a thread as this one, you are not only preventing a possible troll, but you are preventing knowledge/ideas/creative space.

And why is this person considered a troll? He did no more "damage" than what spicy, me or any other player who has posted on this thread done. kierra did not say but one could make a conclusion that she said spicy trolled and had no knowledge. So why was spicy not punished and why did his thread stay? Was it because admins who are part of the discussion found out, oh goodness.

And the huge difference between what happened from spicy's post and what this player said was you forbid feedback. When spicy did or did not troll, kierra and others read it and were able to make their own conclusions. kierra and constistution gave feedback, which was able to lead for further discussion and further opinions made. But you just demolished that further development and you blocked out potential information. Not only did you stop that, but you did not speak one word that said you deleted this player. You could have said "i deleted a post that violated several forum rules, lets please disregard that message and move on to another part of the topic". But you only came forward when I said something about it...and I say this because you posted after him.

SO, I am willing to move on and forget this post and forget this part.
Now to move on, about this voting concept. It needs to be simple. If council members are unable to discuss and be part of a vote, then they are not fulfilling their duties. If they are unable to decide yes or no, then they should be able to vote "undecided". If majority vote undecided, then the topic needs to be re-discussed and reevaluated. Again, if the member is unable to vote for any reason, then they need to 1) Choose another available member to vote for them, or 2) Resign. Its not like you need to make these deadlines 2 hours. You make it 7 days, and by then, each admin should be able to read and decide their vote.

Also, perhaps there should be a rule that states any final and decided issue cannot be retried for 2 months. Meaning if the admins discuss then vote and decide say HEISENBURG should not have played, then every player and every admin must wait a minimum of 2 months before arguing against that decision and/or trying to change it. This, however, does not go towards "undecided/abstain" majority decisions. Those decisions need to be changed promptly. The goal of this rule will help prevent a "circle" of never ending arguments and get things done. Once its decided, its decided, move on to another topic. After 2 months, (or whenever u decide the length to be) there would have been new experiences/new tests/new thoughts for the next argument.
Last edited by sillysir on Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
silly :P
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

So, who decides what their "duty" or "responsibility" is?

Anyways, you're also making it too complicated. Set a time limit. Done.

Lil Dog
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Lil Dog »

*steps into the ring*

This thread is about the allowance of bzflag players who do not currently reside in/on/around NA or EU in all future Riker's games.
Sure, other issues did arise (as they ALWAYS do) during the discussion of the topic of this thread, but I'm focusing on the topic of this thread
I'll state my opinion on this matter in a breakdown

|
V

GU Admins - Choose 2 captains for each region (GU Admins not excluded). captain designation is a "majority rules" voting system on a list of trusted players derived from overall behavior, leadership capabilities, skill, and FUNNESS (cause that's why we're here, right??)

2 pairs of regional captains - Choose the players for your team. they can be whoever (ranging anywhere from "pro/good/average/lacking/noob") you want from your region, if you want someone from asia, take it up with the US Captains, maybe they want someone from australia? all 4 captains cool with it? consider it done, after all, yer the friggin captains, once you've been chosen, it's your game to plan and play how you see fit.

Players - do and play what and how your captains desire. they want to sub you out? you're out, no questions asked.
You've been gone for 8 months and have returned for the sole purpose of playing in rikers? if you don't play consistently enough for your potentially newer captains to know you or trust your skill-level, how can you expect to play?

I know there is more to cover on this topic, I'm simply stating my opinion for the little it's worth.

...As for the GU Council "change" topic, I think that discussion should be moved to a new thread, given a new name, and posted as sticky. Not to say that "we need change" (because all you in the US know where that got us)... I'm simply saying that the topic needs to be discussed and tweaks need to be made.