Rikers

Discussion for GU League Players
Post Reply
Kenshin
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:05 pm

Rikers

Post by Kenshin » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:59 pm

Some of you may have strong feelings about this, so please try to think about it before saying I'm ruining Rikers or anything like that. Even good things can be improved.

After last Rikers we had the big debate over the involvement of a certain player who wasn't a resident of Europe. A lot of people seemed to get upset over this and I really never understood why. His involvement made it more fun for the players and should've allowed the observers to witness a higher level of play than if he were replaced by a substitute. This to me is what Rikers is all about: Letting the best players face off, which is a lot of fun for them, and letting the rest of the league watch a really high quality of play. This, I presume, is why Rikers draws such a large crowd in the first place. I feel as though all of our debates over the last year have somewhat missed that point and tried to take away from a really fun event.

I may be incorrect in saying this, but when Doink was first talking to me about this idea I believe his intent of NA vs. Europe was because most of the best players resided within those areas and other players simply lagged too much. The lag is such a key aspect in this match because you're already hunting so many players that it really isn't possible to hunt a player for the purpose of knowing that he lags. So, my proposal is this: The format of Rikers should be changed to best of the Americas vs. the best of the rest of the world, provided that any player involved has less than 200 lag (this number can be debated) on both the American and European Rikers servers.

I think this proposal would be better for the crowd because it gives a lot of the neutral countries a team to back, which is almost always a more fun way to spectate, and more fun for the players because it could increase the level of play. A key aspect of this proposal is the less than 200 lag on both servers. As I already said, you do not have the ability to hunt someone purely for their lag so lag becomes a problem. Someone may ask, why can't they play on one server and not the other then? For exactly the same reason. If you have a bunch of Europeans lagging around 50 on the European server, then one or two players lagging around 170-200 will really throw off your timing and would probably need to be hunted.

I'm sure this idea can be improved upon, so feel free to do so. Ideally, if agreed upon, this could be implemented for this Rikers, but at the very least by the next one. Let me know what you think.

Ken

MYTH
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:32 am

Re: Rikers

Post by MYTH » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:41 pm

Great Idea here! I support this

User avatar
Snake12534
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 216
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:41 pm
Location: San Jose, California

Re: Rikers

Post by Snake12534 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:34 pm

I support this.
retired

An SQUERRILz
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 91
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:08 am

Re: Rikers

Post by An SQUERRILz » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:09 pm

That's a lot of words just to say you don't mind Roo playing for Europe as long as his lag is tolerable.
Last edited by An SQUERRILz on Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kenshin
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:05 pm

Re: Rikers

Post by Kenshin » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:02 am

Well to start off, unless we've been at very different Rikers, I don't think NA has ever tried to put anything but their best team out. Often additional players get to play because some of the invited 10 can't make it, but given that NA hasn't lost since January 2011 I really don't agree with that statement. However, this is more or less besides the point.

On point three: "I don't see why you can't hunt 5-15 players." The problem isn't that you can't hunt 5-15 players, it is that you ARE hunting 5-15 players. It can be very hard to tell which player is which among those being hunted. The purpose of hunting a lagger is so that you know you need to shoot ahead, but you wouldn't always be able to tell which player the lagger is. So the problem with letting a player play whenever he is under 200 is that his lag will likely be substantially different (the example of 50 vs. 170-200 above) from the rest of his team, requiring a hunt. If Rikers were to be decided by one laggier player getting a cap because he was shot slightly late I can imagine a lot of people would be fairly annoyed. I know that's a fairly extreme example, but lag does tend to get under people's skin.

I also realize that this more or less limits Rikers to the same regions plus a little bit of extra area. My goal when making this proposal was to make Rikers as inclusive as possible while still making it so that players/observers would have no reason to complain. I personally could live with the player having under 200 on one server and not the other and have the player skip the latter match, but I think a lot of people would get annoyed over this or simply wouldn't agree to it. This way at least one more player (hopefully a few at least in the future) would get to participate.

Lastly, I don't like the captains voting over what the rules are. If a rule needs to be changed, then why don't we just change it permanently instead of for one Rikers?

Frank The Tank
Corporal
Corporal
Posts: 54
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:28 pm

Re: Rikers

Post by Frank The Tank » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:27 am

Correct me if I'm wrong here Ken but isn't Rikers Cup based on 'Ryders Cup' the Golf tournament between the European players vs NA players?
If so, then the point of inclusion for the rest of the World exists in Ryders Cup. Players outside of the European zone have been selected to play in the Ryders Cup. Players from South Africa, Argentina, Australia, New Zealand etc.
There is also a Match Rule for player substitution in GU play, Adding or substituting players requires consensus with all participating players.
If the above ideologies were adopted in Rikers then the platform for what you are seeking has precedents.

There is another rule in Ryders Cup, the players have to be selected from the current player pool, and the Captain is allowed 2 Wild Card's.
That rule may cause a stir, but would be nice to reward those whom are actually active in GU.

As for the lag, I can feel the conditional love for us laggers ooze from the mere written word, lag.
If it's any consolation timing for a player with lag exceeding that of your own is as equally hard for them to hit an opposing player.
The timing involved from the player with the higher lag is far greater than the mass of players with the same lag, so would suggest the playing field is still in favour of the mass of players with the same lag.
Being a lagger, I sometimes drive with the fellow laggers to see just how far they are shooting in front of others. My reason for driving with them is quite simple, frustration at having so many throughs!!!. Yes believe it or not, it's exactly the same for us. So if both teams can live with lag then finally the League will truly have a Global game, if that's what your seeking.
The limit I would suggest is 250.
By the way jitter is worse than lag, keep that under 8 as it is controllable by the individual player. Where as the mystical magical condition of lag is merely distance from player to server, generally.
Best of Luck Ken
Cheers
FtT

Kenshin
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:05 pm

Re: Rikers

Post by Kenshin » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:29 pm

I could be wrong, but I don't think Rikers is or ever was based on the Ryders Cup. I'm guessing you thought it was because people associated the two given their premise is very much the same.

I got in a fairly heated debate over the possibly of an activity rule, and I'll try to avoid most of that here as it isn't the main point of this thread. Quickly summarized: I couldn't be more against and I think it would be awful for the general fun of Rikers. I think a way to reward activity would be nice, but quite frankly its a lot more fun to have the best players playing and a lot of those less active players are without a doubt better. Again though, I think this thread would be better focused on the geography/lag debate.

"So if both teams can live with lag then finally the League will truly have a Global game, if that's what your seeking." I know without a doubt that both teams cannot live with the lag, so what I am seeking is to make Rikers as global as possible while keeping as many players as possible happy. I sympathize with everyone that lags as I realize that they have the same problem as non-laggers and also receive a lot of unnecessary crap for something they can't fix that could usually be remedied by the other playing hunting them or paying more attention. That being said, in matches larger than 4v4, and especially in matches where everyone is very talented, there are too many other things going on to be able to pay attention to who is lagging and who isn't. Essentially, if I knew that I had to shoot early it probably wouldn't be a huge deal but it would be way too hard to keep track of the players that I needed to shoot early on in Rikers. For me, 250 is a bit too high. Hopefully some other people will weigh in on what a good number is and we can find one that everyone, or close to everyone, agrees on.

I know the Aussies and Kiwis still probably feel a bit screwed in this and I really do wish there was something we could do that ensured that Rikers really did always have the best twenty players in the world, but this is the best solution I could come up with to include a few more. There's probably a better chance of fixing the issue of lag than getting everyone in Rikers to agree to playing with high lag. I hope at the very least that this is a small step in the right direction.

User avatar
tw1sted
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 849
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:21 pm

Re: Rikers

Post by tw1sted » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:40 pm

I am in favor of this idea. The GU League is the "Games United" League, not the "American and European" League. The Riker Cup, in my opinion, should reflect this sentiment.

I think the main issue with the proposal, however, is the lag limit. 200ms is not going to give many additional people the ability to play who aren't already able to play. As far as I know, 200ms will still exclude Australian and New Zealand players, as well as most players in Asia. 250ms is better, but definitely not inclusive enough to make much more of a difference, especially given the location of the two Riker servers (New York and England).

My opinion on the issue is that there shouldn't be a lag limit (obviously some sort of soft limit should be in place. 500ms lag isn't reasonable). The idea of the Cup is to bring together the best of the best for an incredibly competitive fun match. Why exclude players from being considered? The best players should have enough experience playing the game that killing laggy players should not be an issue. If a player has a problem playing against someone with substantial lag, then that player can choose not to play, just like any official match.

I've been hosting http://rikercup.org since the second Riker Cup, and I've always been partial toward allowing everyone to play. Quoting the FAQ section of the site: "The Riker Cup is a friendly competition between the two major continents where BZFlag players originate: North America and Europe." This was a line I took almost directly from a conversation I had with The Doink and Saturos back in 2009. Note the part that says "two major continents where BZFlag players originate." I think the player population still generally falls into these two continents, but definitely less so than when the Cup was originally planned out. Given the smaller size of the active player pool, I think it's only fair that everyone gets a chance to be chosen to play, especially since many would consider some of the better active players in today's league to be outside of these two continents.

At the end of the day, it really should be up to the players to decide what they want. I think opening up a poll on the GU site (similar to the captain vote) and asking players to weigh in with a yes/no vote would be the best course of action.

legend_13
Private
Private
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:56 pm

Re: Rikers

Post by legend_13 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:20 pm

If all captains and players are okay with another person playing in the match that is relatively close to the continent where excess lag does not play a factor (E.g. Roo), then it shouldn't be an issue. As long as all players are okay with that.

Unfair? Probably. He is lucky enough to have a reasonable lag and live close enough to that particular continent for it to be playable. Those who are Aussie, NZ, South Africa, etc. have lags that exceed the playable amount (>200ms) would therefore would make the lag spread too difficult to handle.

-leg

NTH
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 533
Joined: Thu Nov 25, 2004 4:25 pm
Location: UK / Hampshire

Re: Rikers

Post by NTH » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:49 am

GU was modified to allow players from lands a far, we used to have lagkick set that excluded some regions including Australia. Not because we didn't want any players from that region but because we didn't have any players from that region.

We lifted the limit and let the players choose to play such teams or individuals.
NTH

Why is it when someone says there is a more than a billion stars in the sky you believe them, but if that same person says wet paint you have to touch it to make sure.

You die you spawn ..... You die you spawn .....
Only you controls the length of time between the two.

BZ Cycle of life

User avatar
dauphin
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:04 pm

Re: Rikers

Post by dauphin » Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:40 pm

I think Kenshin's right. If the lag of a player can be handle and all the captains agree about letting the player play, why wouldn't the player be allowed to play then?

It's the business of the captains, and the players who play, moreover it would be funnier to have more good players in Rikers. On top of that if the player whose lag can be handle by the other players, why should he sit observer? Would it be fair for someone who keeps the league active to be prevented from playing in Rikers just because he/she doesn't live in Europe?
Facilis Descensus Averni.

ladeda, ladedo, sing a song for you

Kenshin
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:05 pm

Re: Rikers

Post by Kenshin » Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:56 pm

Twi, your idea is great hypothetically but I really think it misses a lot of points. You said 500 ms isn't reasonable, while I can easily argue that 300 ms isn't reasonable. You have to shoot incredibly early and manage to keep track of that player in a match that is already beyond hectic. They know they lag and you might not, giving them a clear advantage. I also don't think a lot of the top players live off of either continent. Off the top of my head I can think of one player that wouldn't be included in the 200 ms limit, and further I can't even say for sure that I would include that player in the European starting lineup without seeing what their lineup is so far. If we were talking about ten of the best players in the world it would be hard to be any means call Rikers a fun match of the best players, but I really don't think thats the case here. I know it sucks, but the inclusion of a high lagging player would take away a lot more fun from the match than it would add.

hj
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 221
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:27 pm
Location: USA

Re: Rikers

Post by hj » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:44 am

I agree with all facets of ken's posts.

The lag limit's a good idea because it helps with making riker's at least a little more inclusive and therefore more fun while at the same time not adding an extra wrinkle that could be problematic. The thing that I'd have to say about higher lag in a match is pretty much anyone over 180 or so i hunt just because i need to play them differently than i would players with lower lag. let's say rikers were a match between americans and oceanians or europeans and oceanians it would be fine. it's not so much the absolute lag as it is the fact that some players would lag and some players wouldn't. it's easy to keep track of in something like a 2v2 or a 3v3 or so, but a 10v10 makes it a stretch. even with hunts just because i like to hunt people who have certain tendencies and such. a large variation in lag seems unreasonable for the chaos of a 10v10, but imposing a limit where this person only lags just a little bit more than everyone else - that makes perfect sense to me. in fact, i'm pretty sure in doge's case, none of the american captains/players have an issue with him participating
-hj

User avatar
Snake12534
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 216
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:41 pm
Location: San Jose, California

Re: Rikers

Post by Snake12534 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:00 pm

Frank The Tank wrote: Being a lagger, I sometimes drive with the fellow laggers to see just how far they are shooting in front of others. My reason for driving with them is quite simple, frustration at having so many throughs!!!.
Actually, some players who are newer to the league have a hard time hitting players with lag because they are used to playing with players in their country. It's a matter of 'getting used to it.' Someone who is from Australia and New Zeland will probably lag all the time in BZFlag. I assume these players had already mastered the concept of hitting players with their lag. However, players like I who are less skilled compared to the pro's.. have a harder time hitting lag because we are not used to the great difference in lag.
retired

An SQUERRILz
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 91
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:08 am

Re: Rikers

Post by An SQUERRILz » Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:58 am

Kenshin wrote:Some of you may have strong feelings about this, so please try to think about it before saying I'm ruining Rikers or anything like that. Even good things can be improved.
Your thread seems directed at the NA Riker team, since they would be the ones to hold the vote. The premise of a rule change has mostly been viewed as within the jurisdiction of the invited Riker players, despite the significant presence of observers and their relative concern expressed after Riker's Winter Cup 2014. Although many do not read or post on these forums, the lack of involvement from the potential new player(s) under the aforementioned rule change rings a silent bell as the true discussions take place abroad.
Kenshin wrote:After last Rikers we had the big debate over the involvement of a certain player who wasn't a resident of Europe.
Roo (aka Doge). Let us not treat the mention of specific names, even laggers, as taboo.
Kenshin wrote:This to me is what Rikers is all about: Letting the best players face off, which is a lot of fun for them, and letting the rest of the league watch a really high quality of play.
Observers have never truly been acknowledged as participants.
Kenshin wrote:I also don't think a lot of the top players live off of either continent. Off the top of my head I can think of one player that wouldn't be included in the 200 ms limit, and further I can't even say for sure that I would include that player in the European starting lineup without seeing what their lineup is so far.
Your proposal is about "best of the Americas vs. the best of the rest of the world" and tolerable lag. Rules are derived from the chosen principles. And yet we are conscious of the reality that only Roo's fate is at stake in your descriptions.
Kenshin wrote:I know without a doubt that both teams cannot live with the lag
One considers why the topic of outsiders playing for NA is specifically avoided throughout your posts, the possibility arising from being within the lag limit for the NA server only. With more than one player having played for both continents, the matter of allegiances is not decided as yet.
Kenshin wrote: I got in a fairly heated debate over the possibly of an activity rule, and I'll try to avoid most of that here as it isn't the main point of this thread. Quickly summarized: I couldn't be more against and I think it would be awful for the general fun of Rikers. I think a way to reward activity would be nice, but quite frankly its a lot more fun to have the best players playing and a lot of those less active players are without a doubt better.
An activity rule is unfavorable for veterans who were previously skilled but now only appear for Rikers without any warmup whatsoever. Their own NA teammates have used the euphemism "morale boosting".
Kenshin wrote:The format of Rikers should be changed to best of the Americas vs. the best of the rest of the world, provided that any player involved has less than 200 lag (this number can be debated) on both the American and European Rikers servers. I think this proposal would be better for the crowd because it gives a lot of the neutral countries a team to back, which is almost always a more fun way to spectate, and more fun for the players because it could increase the level of play.
Your hypothesis about spectating is distinct from observation. Many neutral players pick a side regardless - it is often based on their bet on the score. What reason is there that they must be expected to back Europe? Your generalization about neutral countries seems unnecessary given the number of potential participants affected - one in 2014? Would any "neutral" observer cheer for the essentially European team simply because Roo (who's country of origin has been highly ambiguous in the past) is not from Europe and is playing for them?
Kenshin wrote:I know the Aussies and Kiwis still probably feel a bit screwed in this and I really do wish there was something we could do that ensured that Rikers really did always have the best twenty players in the world, but this is the best solution I could come up with to include a few more.
This note is conflicting as you have recommended that outsiders cheer for Europe, excluded them from playing for NA, and suggested that none are good enough for Europe (for which there exists the undertone that they are the weaker side in terms of available players).
Kenshin wrote:There's probably a better chance of fixing the issue of lag than getting everyone in Rikers to agree to playing with high lag.
Two counts of wishful thinking.

Your posts support
1) a lag limit despite its contradiction to the idea of "best of the world"
2) Roo playing for Europe under the lag limit

Your posts oppose
1) any changes that would affect the NA team selection

If no one opposes Roo playing for Europe, he will be able to play without a rule change. As it stands, those who take issue with any of the relevant points (Roo playing for Europe, the admin indecision concerning the rules, the rule proposal in this thread) has been limited to:
1) non-playing admin + NA player who has not spoken out
2) Frank
3) observers

The importance of their opinions has been trivialized to various extents throughout discussions about Riker's.

If Roo does end up playing again this event, it may seem the ulterior motive of the proposal to limit the acceptable participation rather than enlarge it - thereby protecting it's existing participants (which by action has always held true as the greater good, but for T-roy's leadership) from further change that is deemed less fun. I think Frank has got some people scared that one day one of the teams will pick a further outsider - bypassing the rules as with Roo but with higher lag. But the inclusion of Roo within explicit new rules rather than non-official agreement would strengthen the application of those rules.

Relevant:
Image
tw1sted wrote:The best players should have enough experience playing the game that killing laggy players should not be an issue.
...
At the end of the day, it really should be up to the players to decide what they want.
Kenshin wrote:Twi, your idea is great hypothetically but I really think it misses a lot of points.
tw1sted presents the greater good as 'what GU league players want', which is in contrast to your 'what Riker players want'. Additionally he suggests a higher lag limit. To label the former difference in principles as in the quote is a very interesting way to describe non-identical opinions.

hj
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 221
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:27 pm
Location: USA

Re: Rikers

Post by hj » Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:49 am

That this may only affect Roo for this Riker's is a fair one to point out. In my opinion, there are a couple reasons he should be able to play. One is that he's really close to Europe such that the difference in lag between him and his mates wouldn't be that high. The second is that because of the time zone he lives in, he feels a certain kinship with European players - he comes on bz when it's mostly Euros on and has been on teams that are mostly them. If there's any one player who's not strictly European who could play for their team, I'd say it's him.
One considers why the topic of outsiders playing for NA is specifically avoided throughout your posts
It's because it makes the most sense. Let's say the 'outsider' you're referring to is from Australia/New Zealand. When playing on the NA server, their lag (300) would be closer to that of a European (~125) than an American (~50). Since the variation in lag is what's most difficult to deal with, it would make most sense for that player to be on the European team. If they were on the NA team, then Team Europe would have to deal with some players who are 50 and some 300 - or some 125 and some 400+ on the European server. The most logical thing, if Aussies/Kiwis were incorporated into the event, would be for them to be on Team Europe/World.
a lag limit despite its contradiction to the idea of "best of the world"
I think we all recognize it's not the end-all be-all solution, but it's the best that we can come up with right now considering the effects of lag on the game. Please try to respect that :P
Your posts oppose
1) any changes that would affect the NA team selection
I thought it would be pretty clear that if Team Europe has an issue with this, it most probably wouldn't be incorporated. I think it would only happen if Europeans are by the large receptive and willing to go through with this. Ergo, it wouldn't affect their selection either unless they choose to let it.
ulterior motive of the proposal to limit the acceptable participation rather than enlarge it
I disagree with this because it's already limited. If anything, this enlarges the player pool that people can be picked from, meaning that even if someone from a certain part of the world under the lag limit doesn't play, it still considers them. The overall effect is being more inclusive, at least by principle.
-hj

User avatar
Mopar Madness
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 169
Joined: Mon Jul 03, 2006 3:31 am

Re: Rikers

Post by Mopar Madness » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:36 pm

hrj wrote:
One considers why the topic of outsiders playing for NA is specifically avoided throughout your posts
It's because it makes the most sense. Let's say the 'outsider' you're referring to is from Australia/New Zealand. When playing on the NA server, their lag (300) would be closer to that of a European (~125) than an American (~50). Since the variation in lag is what's most difficult to deal with, it would make most sense for that player to be on the European team. If they were on the NA team, then Team Europe would have to deal with some players who are 50 and some 300 - or some 125 and some 400+ on the European server. The most logical thing, if Aussies/Kiwis were incorporated into the event, would be for them to be on Team Europe/World.
On NA servers, yes this is true, but on Euro servers their lag is closer to NA lag (300-350 vs 125-200) and you're argument of putting them on the side their lag most resembles would place them on the NA team.

hj
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 221
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:27 pm
Location: USA

Re: Rikers

Post by hj » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:20 am

Yeah, I guess in the back of my mind I thought there should be a lag limit eventually. And an Aussie/Kiwi on a European server (excess of 400) would be pushing it. I guess for lag's sake, if Aussies were added, it would make sense to have all matches on a USA server since added lag is really what matters. I mean, if you wouldn't play a 2v2 of Americans vs Euros differently on quol 58 (RIP) vs. brad 58, you wouldn't play the 10v10 differently either. Possible scenarios with Aussies added:

American server:
Euro lag ~ 130; Aussie lag ~ 300; American lag ~ 40
Euro vs. American = 170; Euro vs. Aussie = 430; American vs. Aussie = 340 ==> Closest two would be 170 and 340 (still double) --> Americans vs. Aussies+Euros

European server:
Euro lag ~ 40; Aussie lag ~ 390; American lag ~ 130
Euro vs. American = 170; Euro vs. Aussie = 430; American vs. Aussie = 540 ==> Closest two would be 170 and 430 (worse than double) --> Europeans vs. Americans+Aussies

I don't think anyone (Americans, Europeans, Aussies, etc.) want to play under 430 lag. If Aussies were added, it would make most sense to have all the matches on an American server to reduce the effects of lag. After all, I feel like using both servers is more of a gesture than anything else. I guess one team can tk each other faster.
Either way, a messy situation.
-hj

User avatar
alfa1
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 115
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:21 pm

Re: Rikers

Post by alfa1 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:28 am

They are different *continents*, and North America is a *subcontinent* of the whole America one, according to my point of view (see note #1). As there are big distances between them, there will be, inevitably, big differences of lags too.

If the intention is to include *another* continents/subcontinents, then it should be played *still* by groups, in the same way as it is played today, and conforming to the number of them. In this case, 3 groups (there is not any server in Oceania nowadays, though):

Servers:
(Approximated average values - they must be checked.)
  • North America:
    NA's players: 80 ms (considering Canadians too).
    Eu's players: 180 ms (adding 100 ms more).
    Oc's players: 250 ms.
  • Europe:
    Eu's players: 80 ms (considering all countries).
    NA's players: 180 ms (adding 100 ms more).
    Oc's players: 350 ms.
  • Oceania:
    Oc's players: 80 ms (considering all countries).
    NA's players: 250 ms.
    Eu's players: 350 ms.
In the future, these others could be added: South and Central Americas (subcontinents), Asia, Africa... and Antarctic! (yeah, there are people living there too!).

Other way could be to create a totally new tourney, including all the new ideas. But, finally, in one or another way, all will depend on each regional work, amount of players and of servers. For example, as a minimum, 6 to 10 players with 2 servers to be able to participate. I think it would be very interesting, integrating and fun! :)


--------
* Note #1: I refer to "continents", "subcontinents" and their names according to what it is taught in Latin America (where I am from) and in other places. There are other points of views around the world, though.
http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continentes
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continent

* Note #2: these are the minimal values registered of an specific player from Oceania that I could check through logs:

BZExcess (Texas, USA): 255 ms.
BRL.ARPA.NET (California, USA): 222 ms.
BZTank (UK): 351 ms (just 1 datum).

hj
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 221
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:27 pm
Location: USA

Re: Rikers

Post by hj » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:37 pm

There's been enough debate on this. Put it to a vote with a few options:
1. Keep it the same - NA vs. EU
2. NA vs. Eurasia
3. West vs. Rest with lag limits

Admins, get it done! Make a poll like last time
-hj

Frank The Tank
Corporal
Corporal
Posts: 54
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:28 pm

Re: Rikers

Post by Frank The Tank » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:10 pm

People like twisted should rule the World, unconditional inclusive ideals.
And as according to Nth's post GU is to be played on a Global stage.

However Rikers is Euro vs NA

If we can not find a way to be inclusive and accepting of everyone then we are segregating which is extremely detrimental.
My vote therefore would be to leave the selection of players as is, from within these regions, no exceptions, no bogus rules.
Keep it simple.
Good luck to both teams on the 2nd.
Cheers
FtT

hj
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 221
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:27 pm
Location: USA

Re: Rikers

Post by hj » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:44 pm

i mean right now it's segregating anyone not eu or na. trying to be more inclusive without being all-inclusive isn't being more discriminatory than what we're doing right now...even if the group still left is oceania
-hj

User avatar
kierra
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Posts: 3828
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2005 1:02 am
Location: outer Slovenia
Contact:

Re: Rikers

Post by kierra » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:10 pm

Gu admins have decided to expand this Rikers on a trial basis to: N & S America vs Rest, lag to be <200.
We are trying to accomodate but clearly cannot make all happy.

Please remember that this is a trial run!
"Sometimes people try to expose what's wrong with you, because they can't handle what's right about you."
"Measure your words -- they determine the distance of your relationships"

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest