Riker's future

Discussion for GU League Players
Bunthy
Private
Private

Re: Riker's future

Post by Bunthy »

hj wrote: Here comes the fun part: we go all fantasy football draft (don't worry if you don't know what this means) on this thing. There would be 2 team captains and we can host a live draft on a replay server or somewhere where the captains draft their players in order 1 by 1 from the sign-up pool until each team has 14 players (starters + alternates). We can make each captain be 'on the clock' for 45 seconds max to make his or her selection. Once the teams are formed, we can have the best-of-3 matches a week or two later.
Hi guys,

to open with, this is my first post, the time has come. :)

I wanted to say that this is a really good idea to bring back exciting and epic matches. Concerning the drafting I believe it works rather like 1-2-2-2-2... than 1 by 1, it is far more fair this way, otherwise the captain starting the draft has a noteworthy advantage.

On another note, I believe that Rikers was a great tradition, even nowadays with EU losing big time. I played one time in Rikers, not sure when, but was great fun even if I knew we would be losing. As an EU player I would be always up to lose against NA in the Rikers games til the time EU rises again. Would be a pity for Rikers to end. I might be totally late on this one, but I recommend holding them both.

Best regards,
Bunthy
hj
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by hj »

Yeah, I considered the 1-2-2-2 "snake" draft like you would in a fantasy league, but with only two teams, it takes out the drafter anxiety of "if I take this guy and not this one, will that one be available next time I pick or will he take him?" That was slightly convoluted, but hope you understood the point I was trying to convey. Besides, with only two teams, 1-1-1-1 isn't really that unfair, since there's so much variation between a player's best and worst day. It'd be worse if there were several teams, but I think it'll work fine with just two. What do you think?
-hj
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

I like the 1-2-2-2-etc idea. The "anxiety" you refer to means that the captains have to be smart with their picks, which brings in a neat strategy aspect. Also, the advantage to the first pick could be a significant one, which would be offset by the alternating double pick.
Bunthy
Private
Private

Post by Bunthy »

When picked in the 1-1-1 way, the first captain has the better player of each two consequent players granted they choose correctly. Au contraire, when the draft goes 1-2-2-2 the first captain has the better player from each odd numbered pair and the other has the better player from each even numbered pair of players. Now, one could say that the captains can be mistaken and players skills vary in time (they certainly do), but we must say that brad and orbit got to have enough competence to draft in a way correlated to the actual power of the players. That is, the difference can be weaker than described here (or greater for that matter) compared to the actual most fair teams, but we should aim to make it fair, if chosen absolutely correctly based on the actual power on that very moment. The 1-2-2-2 serves this goal better that the counterpart.
Bunthy
hj
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by hj »

The teams have been drafted and rosters set! Stoat (led by orbit) had first pick and the order was 1-1-1-1, etc. Teams are listed by draft order/pick.

Stoat: orbit, hj, slime, miro, Epic Rooster, Yvaika, Araquiel, Constitution, Monster, crazystringgirl, kajo, Joop, MlG, coolby
Posh Lads: brad, R3laX, styx, Aimbot, krisfeidt, click click boom, Kenshin, damns3xy, klavier, morning glory, Black Mage, Shuist, glue, quantum dot
-hj