This Forum Version

Improvements, Problems, or Questions on the Forum format or software go here ( not about the game )
that exploding tank
Private First Class
Private First Class

This Forum Version

Post by that exploding tank »

Has any of the admins here considered upgrading this forum's version of phpbb? The latest stable version (2.0.22) came out December 23, 2006, and the development version (3.0.RC4) was released July 28, 2007. The copyright at the bottom of every forum page has the copyright last dated at 2004. It's very easy to upgrade, since you already have php and mysql (or some other database server) configured and installed. So, has anyone thought about upgrading?
A Meteorite
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Meteorite »

Alright, first of all, I can't speak what the developers or Tim Riker is feeling. I'm just using common sense and what I have heard.

The reason it has not been upgraded is due to the large amount of custom mods they have in use. Even the global login relies off of phpBB (that means if you do anything with phpBB you gotta take down the global login). Another thing the IRC talk has revolved around in the past is possibly migrating to another forum system or even a custom one.

Right now I believe they want to wait until phpBB 3 goes stable or a decision is made about moving to custom forums or new forum system.
Owner @ BZFX
Core Admin @ CAN

Email me: bzmet…@gmail.com
L4m3r
Hater of Everything
Hater of Everything

Post by L4m3r »

As far as I understand, the current "plan" involves moving global login to an LDAP system. phpBB3 can hook into LDAP, as can MediaWiki, and whatever else. This abstraction would make it much easier to upgrade phpBB, as well as any other services relying on global authentication.

However, it's a LOT of work, and it's not going to happen overnight. We'll see.
Optimism is just a milder alternative to denial.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

1) more is hung on the forum that just people posting about stuff ( the entire user management system for the game ).

2) the copyright on the page do NOT represent the running back end ( it's burned into the theme, and not pulled from the database ). We are running stable and patched back end code.

3) We have a number of mods, so upgrading is not a painless event like you make it out to be ( we've done it a number of times )

We are MORE then aware of the existence of PHPBB 3, and as l43mr said we do have a plan to move to it. But since a lot more rides on the boards, we will wait for it to be stable. We must also upgrade a number of other things at the same time, so it's not something we should or will rush into. If the board fails, it could take the list server and global auth with it.

The current goal is to move over to a more distributed user management/list server system, so we don't have one single server that is a choke point for everyone. We are looking into using LDAP as the backend authentication protocoll to spread the load out. Those wishing to help are more then welcome to come chat on IRC about it.
ImageJeffM