false notifications for topic replies?

Improvements, Problems, or Questions on the Forum format or software go here ( not about the game )
Ck_asdf
Private First Class
Private First Class

false notifications for topic replies?

Post by Ck_asdf »

It seems I've been getting some false topic reply notifications lately ... such as the one I received this evening:
You are receiving this email because you are watching the topic, "no shots except for thief?"
http://my.bzflag.org/bb/viewtopic.php?p=95874#95874
If you click the link, you'll find an error, stating "The topic or post you requested does not exist"

I searched for the topic, and found it here, instead of what the above link says:
http://my.bzflag.org/bb/viewtopic.php?t=9388

Notice the first link's number is 95874, while the real thread is 9388

AND, when I got there, there hadn't been any new replies.

Why am I getting these emails, and why are the links broken?
A Meteorite
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Meteorite »

The first number 95874 is the post number, not the thread number. The reason you get an error ("The topic or post you requested does not exist" ) is probably because the reply was deleted before you saw it.
Owner @ BZFX
Core Admin @ CAN

Email me: bzmet…@gmail.com
optic delusion
Special Forces
Special Forces

Post by optic delusion »

The Exact Same Thing happens to me. Going back several weeks, since before the forum update.

At least five times I've gotten reply email from this thread.
http://my.bzflag.org/bb/viewtopic.php?p=96673#96673
at least that's the link I get in my emails.

I have a hard time believing that people are replying and then deleting the reply so many times. Maybe they are replying and the post is locked? or somehow the thread got frozen? False Emails? idunno.
Take a look at my Defender game mode concept.

Thinking is not an automatic process. A man can choose to think or to let his mind stagnate, or he can choose actively to turn against his intelligence, to evade his knowledge, to subvert his reason. If he refuses to think, he courts disaster: he cannot with impunity reject his means of perceiving reality.
Ck_asdf
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Ck_asdf »

thanks for speaking up, because I knew it wasn't just something so simple, but I hadn't had time (end of school) to continue with it ... but I got another one the other day, stating that the topic didn't exist. This must be some sort of conspiracy ... heh.

And besides, it seems that the number the false emails give for the post topic and the actual one are completely different.

While the email told me the topic number was 95874, in reality it's 9388.

What's the deal-io?
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

The email should give you a link to unsubscribe. Try clicking that and let me know if you get any error message.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

CannonBallGuy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by CannonBallGuy »

1. The 5 digit number is the post number - different to the thread number.
2. The reason the link does not exist is probably because it was deleted after the email was sent...

Merry Christmas!

"Look, if I don't buy booze for the kids, I don't get any incriminating pictures to show to their parents, my business goes down the sink, my girlfriend leaves me and the baby goes on ebay. So help me search..."

"go Play With Toys urself in a dark alley u donkey ******" - Lt-Kirby2007
A Meteorite
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Meteorite »

A Meteorite wrote:The first number 95874 is the post number, not the thread number. The reason you get an error ("The topic or post you requested does not exist" ) is probably because the reply was deleted before you saw it.
CannonBallGuy wrote:1. The 5 digit number is the post number - different to the thread number.
2. The reason the link does not exist is probably because it was deleted after the email was sent...
:roll: ... :P
Owner @ BZFX
Core Admin @ CAN

Email me: bzmet…@gmail.com
CannonBallGuy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by CannonBallGuy »

A Meteorite wrote:
A Meteorite wrote:The first number 95874 is the post number, not the thread number. The reason you get an error ("The topic or post you requested does not exist" ) is probably because the reply was deleted before you saw it.
CannonBallGuy wrote:1. The 5 digit number is the post number - different to the thread number.
:roll: ... :P
Everyone seemed to be ignoring your post, so I reiterated.

Merry Christmas!

"Look, if I don't buy booze for the kids, I don't get any incriminating pictures to show to their parents, my business goes down the sink, my girlfriend leaves me and the baby goes on ebay. So help me search..."

"go Play With Toys urself in a dark alley u donkey ******" - Lt-Kirby2007