Leagues United New Format - Individual Rankings

Discussion for Leagues United players
Moto Unit
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Leagues United New Format - Individual Rankings

Post by Moto Unit » Sun May 28, 2017 10:21 pm

I love you millennials...always looking for a participation trophy. Not only must you get elo points for wins but you see it as fitting to rub it in the losers face by gaining more advantage based on how many scores you get by capping? Really? Great sportsmanship and really mature I might add. I hope you "strong" players get your way....I really do...and then when no one comes to play on your servers anymore because you big strong awesome players rule the universe you can play by yourselves.

click click boom
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by click click boom » Mon May 29, 2017 10:38 pm

moto? can you elaborate?

click click boom
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by click click boom » Tue May 30, 2017 5:18 am

Moto: just to he clear there won't be more points awarded for more captures atleast i don't think so. I don't think many if any strong player wants it like that.

But we should reward close matches even for the loser so.. something like if

Myself and runruns match vs blinks and miro who are ranked higher than us and if we lose by 1 capture we are awarded somehow by that.. if they beat us by 2 captures we are not.. to avoid teams from racking up the score you just cap it at a lower number to prevent that.. so it's not more the captures more the points... but a way to encourage weaker teams to offi better teams could be achieved this way 👍🏻

Bad company wins vs toma hawk 3-0 we lost -10
If bad company wins can toma hawk 2-1 we lose -5

llrr
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by llrr » Wed May 31, 2017 5:22 am

Moto Unit wrote:
Sun May 28, 2017 10:21 pm
I love you millennials...always looking for a participation trophy. Not only must you get elo points for wins but you see it as fitting to rub it in the losers face by gaining more advantage based on how many scores you get by capping? Really? Great sportsmanship and really mature I might add. I hope you "strong" players get your way....I really do...and then when no one comes to play on your servers anymore because you big strong awesome players rule the universe you can play by yourselves.
Moto, this was a discussion about the idea. It doesn't mean it was going to be implemented, it depended upon player feedback.

Also, you have to view this from more than just one perspective. Not all matches are extremely uneven, to the point where the winning team is winning by 10-0. The idea behind it was that the losing team wouldn't lose extra points, but the winning team is rewarded for a certain number of winnings caps, up to a threshold, which I suggested to be +5 (btw, plenty of matches have been won by much more than 5 caps so I thought this was more than reasonable).

In any case, we have since discarded this idea because there is not enough support for it. So it will remain as present, where only win/loss matters and not the number of caps.

hj
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by hj » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:58 am

Moto Unit wrote: I love you millennials...always looking for a participation trophy. Not only must you get elo points for wins but you see it as fitting to rub it in the losers face by gaining more advantage based on how many scores you get by capping?
For the record, this would be the exact opposite of a participation trophy.

However, I agree that the idea might incentivize blowouts. But, keep in mind, if all we do is look at win vs. loss for the losing side, then that disincentivizes good players from evening up a lopsided FM.
-hj

Frank The Tank
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Frank The Tank » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:12 am

I think your missing Moto's points, seems the discussion of an additional new format is putting a bandage on why players don't offi or slowly fall off participation.

Ever discussed why fm's are more popular than offis? They don't segregate, players try and match teams as even as possible, players swap if the sides become unbalanced as most have a vested interest in creating a level playing field. Goal, to make an fm as enjoyable & fun so players will come back & do it again & again.

I would hope at the end of the day each Team listed whether they be active or inactive has the option to join the new format and this suggested format is not compulsory.

It makes me cringe when ELO's are discussed and used to mark a players worth. It'll just shrink the player base even more.
Seriously if this is to be tried then create a new league for it, trial it for 3 months, players who are interested in the concept sign up.
Learn from it & see if there are any best bits to take out of it.
I would suggest as an approach players whom are available for a month sign up, random selection is made formed into teams and go offi, that's the base for the new league. Teams have to be created as equal as possible.

Perhaps one day the real problem of why teams don't offi might be resolved & how to fix it & we do away with bandaids.