New League Name

Discussion for Leagues United players
MlG
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: New League Name

Post by MlG »

i like OneLeague. It implies that the bzflag-league community(ies) is(are) a strong single community. But with the abbreviation "OL" there could be misunderstandings due to the "Open League" league name.
I agree with blast on "BZFlag league" or "BZFlag Pro league". These names appear to claim representing more than a part of the bzflag community but the bzflag community as a whole which is not the case.

I think something like "UniLeague" also would be nice. It could be interpreted as "Unified Legue" and as referring to "UnisexLeague".
"UnifiedLeague" clearly shows what i want to express there. The 2 big leagues united into one.
"UnisexLeague" shows that this league is made for everyone and everyone can find their place here. Not only regarding gender but play styles, strength, skill,...

In general the prefix "uni-" as in "universe" (derived from Latin "UNUS" - "One") implies that again all the players are welcome here and were doing one big thing.
Also it would be a translation of "OneLeague" eliminating the "OL" issue.

It is maybe not as colorful as kierra would like it to be. i think the name should not be too flashy and first and foremost short and easy to remember.
Bullet Catcher
Captain
Captain

Post by Bullet Catcher »

Perhaps we could name the league after an accomplished real-life tank commander.

http://www.historynet.com/the-war-list- ... anders.htm

Wittmann
Greengold
Zhukov
Knispel

Or maybe a general:

Patton
Rommel

"Panzer League" would be simple and on-topic.
Frank The Tank
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Frank The Tank »

Bullet Catcher wrote:Perhaps we could name the league after an accomplished real-life tank commander.
Extending BC's idea above but with a slight variation, whom were the people whom started both GU & Duc?
We might be able to form a name using their initials.
kierra
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by kierra »

Frank The Tank wrote:Extending BC's idea above but with a slight variation, whom were the people whom started both GU & Duc?
We might be able to form a name using their initials.
Ducati: Chestal and Valoche

GU: quantum dot, Birdie and menotume, if i recall correctly.
"Sometimes people try to expose what's wrong with you, because they can't handle what's right about you."
"Measure your words -- they determine the distance of your relationships"
"If serving is beneath you, leadership is beyond ypu."
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

"Welcome to the CVQBM League! Would you like to buy a vowel?"
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Frank The Tank
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Frank The Tank »

Surely someone must be good at linguistic morphology or neologism.
Failing that then the obvious solution as suggested by qd

BZ Flag League

After all isn't that what this is, a collection of all the leagues wrapped under one umbrella played in BZ Flag?
The other words like United, One league etc are just adjectives of morphing the various leagues into one, so call it what it is.

BZ Flag League

Damnsexy that!!
I think I stole someones line
dauphin
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dauphin »

MlG wrote:I think something like "UniLeague" also would be nice. It could be interpreted as "Unified League" and as referring to "UnisexLeague".
"UnifiedLeague" clearly shows what i want to express there. The 2 big leagues united into one.
"UnisexLeague" shows that this league is made for everyone and everyone can find their place here. Not only regarding gender but play styles, strength, skill,...

Great idea.Unified, United, Unisex...I support this.

And lol at blast's' post :p

"Welcome to the CVQBM League! Would you like to buy a vowel?"

It would be nice to have a league name not too hard to remember. Or well, a name which wouldn't take you about 5 minutes to remember about the players' nickname, take the initials, and finally put them in the right order :X I think it is kinda complicated.
Facilis Descensus Averni.

ladeda, ladedo, sing a song for you
sn0w_m0nkey
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by sn0w_m0nkey »

seems a common theme with posts so far is related to being a unified league.
any support for inserting "ctf" to get around conflicts, say "bzflag ctf league" or "united ctf league"?
oi!
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

sn0w_m0nkey wrote:seems a common theme with posts so far is related to being a unified league.
any support for inserting "ctf" to get around conflicts, say "bzflag ctf league" or "united ctf league"?
So you'd limit yourself to only CTF style play?
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

sn0w_m0nkey
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by sn0w_m0nkey »

blast wrote:
sn0w_m0nkey wrote:seems a common theme with posts so far is related to being a unified league.
So you'd limit yourself to only CTF style play?
blast, i'm not aware of the new league being anything else but ctf. did i miss ffa potential in discussions?
oi!
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Well, the 1vs1 league does use FFA mode and is based on deaths, not captures. (Not that the 1vs1 league is being considered as something to merge, at least yet.) Someone else had also mentioned HTF at one point in a thread here (which while it uses the CTF game mode, I wouldn't call it CTF). What if you want to invent a new game mode where your team earns points not by capturing the enemy flag but by simply holding onto it for a specific timeframe? So, my point was.. why limit yourself artificially by putting it in the league name?

sn0w_m0nkey
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by sn0w_m0nkey »

good point blast. ok how about this for a name "BZFlag League" :mrgreen:
kidding aside, i'm all out ideas, hope the community can offer something..
oi!
miro
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by miro »

Bzflag league sounds perfect for me, also Leagues United
kierra
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by kierra »

http://forums.bzflag.org/viewtopic.php?f=114&t=18998
regarding using " BZFlag _____"
allejo wrote: I removed "Highlander League" in fear of possible lawsuits since this already exists for Team Fortress.
I removed "BZFlag League" and "BZFlag Global" as it may interfere with official project related servers, such as an official League run by the project administrators and the BZFlag global authentication system - respectively.
"Sometimes people try to expose what's wrong with you, because they can't handle what's right about you."
Frank The Tank
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Frank The Tank »

kierra wrote:allejo wrote I removed "BZFlag League" and "BZFlag Global" as it may interfere with official project related servers, such as an official League run by the project administrators and the BZFlag global authentication system - respectively.
Colour me confused, if we are a League and there is intended to be another league of sorts then how does this work?
And based on the limited player numbers around these days, can BZ really afford to invest in expansion?
So why not have everything under one umbrella.
Would someone please explain further, after all your asking us to give up on a name which merges 3 leagues into one where two have reasonable activity and history of success.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

I'm not intending for the project to be providing league hosting right now, but it is something that I would like to have down the road when the player population is healthier. Really, can't you come up with something a bit more creative than "BZFlag League"?

Frank The Tank
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Frank The Tank »

'BZ Flag League' has drawn the greatest consensus. Seems we like simple, and the here and now would you please let us offer it for consideration blast?
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

No.

macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

blast wrote:Really, can't you come up with something a bit more creative than "BZFlag League"?
It isn't a matter of creativity. This isn't an art project or poem. This also isn't an independent organization or company that needs a name to distinguish itself from the competition. The whole point of this project is that it's universal... people should know that if they play this game and they want to compete in a league, this is where they do it. That is why "BZFlag League" was proposed.

One issue is that we don't intend to encompass all kinds of potential league play. For instance, the 1vs1 League is distinct, and other such deviations could arise. However, as far as something like "BZFlag CTF League," you were also opposed to using the term "CTF", so... we're not going to please everyone, but these are factors that could make another league name choice more favorable.
blast wrote:No.
Many options are being considered, and the "veto" privilege should only be exercised by the individuals or groups who actually hold it.
kierra
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by kierra »

There are several very appropriately descriptive names posted for the new league without engaging in conflict with the one person hosting the forums, the listserver and who has gone to greater expense to provide those services with DDoS protection so that we can continue to play bzflag.
I don't have a problem being respectful of his request in this case. We have many viable choices that also reflect what we're doing.

survey post by allejo: http://forums.bzflag.org/viewtopic.php?f=114&t=18998
  • International League of tanks
  • Leagues United
  • League of Nations
  • Multileague
  • OneLeague
  • additional ideas yet to be submitted from players
allejo
Breaker of Builds
Breaker of Builds

Post by allejo »

Frank The Tank wrote:'BZ Flag League' has drawn the greatest consensus. Seems we like simple, and the here and now would you please let us offer it for consideration blast?
Constitution wrote:
blast wrote:No.
Many options are being considered, and the "veto" privilege should only be exercised by the individuals or groups who actually hold it.
For clarification, I do not believe blast was trying to exercise a "veto" privilege but instead was answering Frank The Tank's inquiry.

For additional clarification, the reason "BZFlag League" has been objected to is because it implies the project administrators are officially supporting the league; i.e. the BZFlag developers officially support everything relating to the league and that's not the case since committee members will be running the league and the new website is being worked on by alezakos and myself. It's not an official BZFlag project but instead it's run and maintained by the community. For example, the BZFlag forums, the BZFlag wiki, and the BZFlag website all imply that they are officially managed by the project and they are respectively. I'm not against "BZFlag League" because it's on the eventual roadmap for BZFlag but instead because it implies that it's officially part of the project; for that reason I don't believe any name with "BZFlag" in it should be considered.

As I was skimming through this post and previous survey drafts, these are the possible league names that I have gotten:
  • International League of Tanks (iLeague)
  • League of Nations
  • Leagues United
  • Multileague
  • OneLeague
  • ProLeague
  • Unified Competitive Tankers
  • Unileague
  • Panzer League
Our public poll will go public April 9th since April 8th is the deadline so we should have name suggestions finalized by then.
kierra
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by kierra »

allejo wrote:For clarification, I do not believe blast was trying to exercise a "veto" privilege but instead was answering Frank The Tank's inquiry.

For additional clarification, the reason "BZFlag League" has been objected to is because it implies the project administrators are officially supporting the league; i.e. the BZFlag developers officially support everything relating to the league and that's not the case since committee members will be running the league and the new website is being worked on by alezakos and myself. It's not an official BZFlag project but instead it's run and maintained by the community. For example, the BZFlag forums, the BZFlag wiki, and the BZFlag website all imply that they are officially managed by the project and they are respectively. I'm not against "BZFlag League" because it's on the eventual roadmap for BZFlag but instead because it implies that it's officially part of the project; for that reason I don't believe any name with "BZFlag" in it should be considered.
Totally agree as well! Underlined emphasis, mine.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Constitution wrote:This also isn't an independent organization
Actually, that's exactly what this league is. It has no official relationship with or sponsorship from the BZFlag project. It is run and managed independently of the BZFlag project.

Monster
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Monster »

Constitution wrote:people should know that if they play this game and they want to compete in a league, this is where they do it.
Constitution makes an important point. However, I have a hard time coming up with a name that hasn't "BzFlag" in it that does the same. Ideas anyone? Because, I at any rate am not satisfied with the options we have so far.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Constitution wrote:people should know that if they play this game and they want to compete in a league, this is where they do it.
I had originally post a response to this phrase but deleted my post. But since this is now being specifically mentioned as an "important point", I'll respond again.

If someone else wanted to run/start a league, then their league wouldn't be a place to compete? Is your new league the One True League and the other leagues shouldn't even bother?