Demo Site and Data Merging Process

Discussion for Leagues United players
macsforme
General
General

Demo Site and Data Merging Process

Post by macsforme »

Thanks to recent progress toward the completion of BZION along with the script to import data from the existing leagues, we are pleased to release a demonstration site which shows a draft version of the new site. You may see it at the following link:

http://leaguetest.fairserve.net

It would be helpful for us for everyone to log in and review the imported data for any discrepancies, formatting problems, lost or missing data, etc.; especially each person's player profile data, team profile data, and private messages. If we receive these reports sooner rather than later, it will help us smooth the transition significantly.

You will notice that the site is not entirely complete, and is missing some functions. For one, the score differential for different match lengths (and the potential separation by map style) has not yet been implemented, so it is not necessary to report incorrect team scores at this time. The data is a snapshot from about one week ago, so it will not be entirely up-to-date.

I would also like to discuss a few aspects of how the data will be merged:

Player Profiles

All player accounts from the ducati and GU sites that have an associated BZID (all of them that people have used since the transition to bz-owl, our current web site) will be merged into the new site. If you have accounts on both sites, your location (country) and avatar will be imported from whichever league site you logged into last. Due to the fact that the new site requires an avatar to be uploaded, whereas the previous site required an external link, avatars will not be set on your account but they will be added as an image at the top of your profile text. If you have profile text on both sites, they will be merged together as your new profile text. Profile text will be converted from bbcode to the new markdown format (there may be some remaining bugs in this process, which we would like to be reported, and some badly-formed bbcode will not convert and will have to be manually corrected later). All timezones will be set to UTC, as there is no reliable way of converting from a UTC offset (as the previous system used) into the new timezone format. You are welcome to change this once the new set is permanently set up.

Teams

All teams, current and deleted, will be imported from the old sites. Where there are teams in both leagues with the same name, (Ducati) and (GU) will be appended to each respective team name to resolve the conflict. Team avatars will be added at the top of the profile text, just like player profiles. Team profile text will be imported and converted to markdown (again, there may be some issues and/or bad formatting that will need to be corrected). As stated above, team ratings are not correct right now due to incomplete features.

Team Memberships

Players will only be able to retain membership of one team. Prior to the final site going live, players are strongly encouraged to explicitly choose the team they wish to remain on by leaving their team in the other league (not now, but prior to the site going live). The remaining players with memberships in both leagues will be assigned to whichever team was created first. After this shuffling, teams with no members left will be set to deleted. If a team leader was removed from a team due to a membership in the other league, the new team leader will be set to the member with the lowest BZID.

Matches

Due to some data corruption, a handful of matches could not be imported (around ten I think). Aside from that, you should see all the matches listed there, ducati and GU in the same list.

News and Bans

News should all be imported and converted to markdown (there are a few known formatting issues that will have to be corrected). News entries are stored in historic Ducati and GU categories. Bans will now have more data saved than was previously, but you should see old bans filed as "Historic Ducati (or GU) Ban."

Private Messages

The messaging system still needs some work, but we hope you will still review the imported messages. The new private message system is a lot different than the old sites, as it is built around the concept of conversations. Merging the old messages into conversations might require some guesswork, so for now each message was imported as its own conversation (and of course, converted to markdown). Messages to players that do not exist anymore will show up with only yourself listed as a recipient. Messages to teams you used to be on will show up as being sent to that team, plus each recipient individually who is no longer a member of that team. Private message importing was possibly the most complex part of this process, so please review these and report any issues that you notice.

That should be it for now. Please report back with any issues you uncover.
miro
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Demo Site and Data Merging Process

Post by miro »

First of all, the website is great you guys are doing really an awesome job.
I dont know if its supposed to but when i edit my team, the "your team has been successfully updated" popup covers the navigation bar of the website and doesnt go away https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9630775/edit.PNG , also it would be nice to have a tool for sorting the players section like sorting by team to see who is teamless, like the old league websites
thanks for your work
hj
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by hj »

Agreed. Maybe have two player lists based on sort - by team or by callsign
-hj
allejo
Breaker of Builds
Breaker of Builds

Post by allejo »

Information
As a warning, this demo site with the merged data does not automatically sync with the latest version of BZiON. If you find an issue with the website's functionality and you have a GitHub account, please report the issue here. If you don't have a GitHub account, just report issues here; alezakos and I will see them regardless!

If there are inconsistency with the data on the website, report the issue here for Constitution to fix.
------
miro wrote:I dont know if its supposed to but when i edit my team, the "your team has been successfully updated" popup covers the navigation bar of the website and doesnt go away https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9630775/edit.PNG
Commits 4b2f0fa and eb46211 fix the notifications, they should now disappear after ~4 seconds.
miro wrote:also it would be nice to have a tool for sorting the players section like sorting by team to see who is teamless, like the old league websites
hrj wrote:Agreed. Maybe have two player lists based on sort - by team or by callsign
Got it! Will add that option in the next few commits. Issue #28
Monster
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Monster »

I really like the clean/clear look of the site. It is really nice that each team's profile picture is displayed in the ladder and match statistics.
I had no issues checking team pages, player profiles and match history. At the same time, I did not check the old gu and duc sites too often lately, so I might be a bad touchstone.

Are you interested in constructive citisism in terms of looks and content and user friendlyness?
alezakos
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by alezakos »

Monster wrote:Are you interested in constructive citisism in terms of looks and content and user friendlyness?
Constructive criticism is always appreciated (not the same is true for citisism) :)

Note however that not all pages and features are complete yet (for example, the messaging page is currently being worked on and there are no buttons to browse older news articles), but please feel free to post any comments on the design and functionality on the website :)