"The One League" Recruitment server

Discussion for Leagues United players
figurines
Private First Class
Private First Class

"The One League" Recruitment server

Post by figurines »

I'd like to discuss the availability and reaction to adding plugins on a select server. I am also curious as to which of these plugins already exist, if any.
The reason I'm curious is because I'd like to have a public league server (or potential fun match server) where plugins are used to even the discrepancy between league players and non-league players...Helping us to recruit by trying to add a server that is challenging for league players, but still enjoyable for those that aren't as skilled. I was thinking all GU league players could have /switch and /kick on just this server.

What do folks think about an idea along these lines? Which of these plugins might work well and which ones are a bad idea for a server like this?

Players within a certain spawn group are not able to carry flags

Players within a certain spawn group can only join 1 team

Players with a score above 0 are not able to carry flags

Players are automatically assigned flags based on their score (Tiny -10 Narrow -15 Agility -30 etc. etc.)

Choosing which flag to spawn with (limited to flags that still take skill to use)

Variable respawn time based on uneven teams

Once a match is in progress ONLY players within a certain group can speak and spawn

Variable reload time based on score

Variable tank speed based/turn speed based on score (Is this called "handicap", if so is it possible for players within a certain spawn group to be not affected by this, or perhaps have the ability to CHOOSE whether to be affected by this, or perhaps league players tank speed/turn speed is based on ELO rather than current score)

I'm aware there is a plugin /switch that would be nice to load for moving unregistered players out of match teams without kicking (in the case of a fun match server)

Thanks

Fig
blast
General
General

Re: "The One League" Recruitment server

Post by blast »

Might be worthwhile to read my entire response on the other thread you posted about this (seems you at least read the handicap bit, but you still had the reload time thing here): http://forums.bzflag.org/viewtopic.php? ... 93#p170693

Some of these don't seem like they'd have any use in a league. Individual player scores are generally not important in CTF matches, and there are no superflags. Teams should not be uneven either.

Changing a player's team without rejoining is not a supported API function at this time. Servers that do this make use of unsupported methods. When/if I start hosting servers again, I wouldn't run such a plugin.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

figurines
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by figurines »

Thanks Blast for getting back to me!

If you look at time stamps I actually posted this BEFORE reading your other post...so sorry for my timing! I'll make sure it works out better in the future!

"Some of these don't seem like they'd have any use in a league. Individual player scores are generally not important in CTF matches, and there are no superflags. Teams should not be uneven either"

I think in regular league play these plugins are useless, but I think some of them could create a league server that would be enjoyable for newbies AND challenging for existing players...
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Haha, guess so, sorry. Didn't realize it was just a minute apart. :)

Anyways, would it actually be a league server, or just a server running the HiX map or a random map?
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)