Ducati Acceleration Limit

Discussion for Leagues United players
hj
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 221
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:27 pm
Location: USA

Ducati Acceleration Limit

Post by hj » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:30 am

Now that we're transitioning to Leagues United, we can reopen the debate/discussion regarding whether there should be an acceleration limit on ducati maps. An acceleration limit was added around 05 and it's been there ever since. For reference, hix has never had an acceleration limit. If you've felt that your tank changes speed/direction faster on hix than it does on ducati, this would be why.

Personally, I'm opposed to acceleration limits. I intuitively think that how fast I'm going is a function of where my mouse is on the screen, and since there is an acceleration limit, this isn't the case in ducati. Since ducati has always been about dodging and judging the direction of your opponent's turret, I never understood why we would impose limits to how well someone can do these things in the first place. This is stupid to me.

Your thoughts?
-hj

click click boom
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 153
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:53 pm

Re: Ducati Acceleration Limit

Post by click click boom » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:43 am

Ducati should keep the acceleration limit, reasons why
1: mouse speeds go up to 8000 dpi, so the faster your mouse the harder the tank to hit, now I am not going to get into the technicality of this, but it is the case.
2: many people that are using a 8000 dpi mouse are using a lower fps, once again, this poses it harder to be hit.
3. I do not mind no acceleration limit on a hix map because the 3 shots are a lot harder to dodge and get around than 1 or 2 on ducati. So if my first could of shots miss I can get the tank on the 3rd.
With ducati many players shot hold, and if someone is shooting through someone with low fps and a fast mouse it isn't any fun.
4. shot troughs on ducati are a pivotal part of the game and it will ruin the match while in hix if i shoot through a tank and they grab my team flag I can still find ways to prevent a capture like cutting off the route to the base.
5. with acceleration limit it keeps the playing field a lot more balanced, it shouldn't take a a 8000 dpi to be competitive or low fps.
6. If hix could successfully have acceleration limit i would be for it but since it messes with jumps it can't be done at this time.
7. there is no way to dodge and judge where a tank is when they are moving extremely fast, so the factors now are to take in are, A: mouse speed, B: fps, C: Lag

Thanks,
CCB

User avatar
macsforme
General
General
Posts: 2011
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:43 am

Re: Ducati Acceleration Limit

Post by macsforme » Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:34 am

Ducati has always had a good feel to me as far as the ability to move versus the ability to predict movement, so I say keep the acceleration limit. I agree with CCB that with the conditions on Ducati, the consequences could be worse if anyone tries to exploit the simulation with their hardware or configuration settings so they're harder to hit.

User avatar
kierra
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Posts: 3804
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2005 1:02 am
Location: outer Slovenia
Contact:

Re: Ducati Acceleration Limit

Post by kierra » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:53 pm

Interesting discussion from past:
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=8936
Ducati without acceleration limits is classic ducati - the way the League was set up by Chestal and Valoche in 2002.
"Trying to reason with a fool is like trying to teach a goldfish to bring you the newspaper"
"Sometimes people try to expose what's wrong with you, because they can't handle what's right about you."
"Measure your words -- they determine the distance of your relationships"

styx
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 392
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:30 pm

Re: Ducati Acceleration Limit

Post by styx » Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:20 pm

Acceleration limit is a cheap trick to 'balance' the playing field. Someone gifted with great reflexes is handicapped because the movement of his/her tank no longer matches what he/she is used to. I notice it particularly in comparison to how I move and react on hix servers. I do not like being handicapped in this way.

In case you missed my point, I am emphatically against acceleration limit and have been since it was inflicted upon ducati. I cannot remember what brilliant mind introduced it in the first place... I really wish I knew.
"A fool and his money are soon elected" -- Will Rogers

User avatar
Yvaika
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:24 am

Re: Ducati Acceleration Limit

Post by Yvaika » Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:29 pm

styx wrote:Acceleration limit is a cheap trick to 'balance' the playing field. Someone gifted with great reflexes is handicapped because the movement of his/her tank no longer matches what he/she is used to. I notice it particularly in comparison to how I move and react on hix servers. I do not like being handicapped in this way.

In case you missed my point, I am emphatically against acceleration limit and have been since it was inflicted upon ducati. I cannot remember what brilliant mind introduced it in the first place... I really wish I knew.
Yep.

Exuro
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:44 pm

Re: Ducati Acceleration Limit

Post by Exuro » Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:39 pm

Since the acceleration limit heavily influences how ducati "feels", changing it would change the whole game.
The right time for this question would have been before the merger or at least it should have been included in the poll.

Personally I would prefer it if ducati stayed the way it is.

styx
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 392
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:30 pm

Re: Ducati Acceleration Limit

Post by styx » Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:36 pm

Exuro wrote:Since the acceleration limit heavily influences how ducati "feels", changing it would change the whole game.
The right time for this question would have been before the merger or at least it should have been included in the poll.

Personally I would prefer it if ducati stayed the way it is.
The idea is to change the whole game. It changed once before and can do so again.

The question is being posed now. It doesn't matter when it should have been.. many things should have been settled long ago, but there aren't enough people helping them get settled or even asked. Such criticisms aren't very constructive at this point.
"A fool and his money are soon elected" -- Will Rogers

click click boom
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 153
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:53 pm

Re: Ducati Acceleration Limit

Post by click click boom » Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:40 pm

styx wrote:Acceleration limit is a cheap trick to 'balance' the playing field. Someone gifted with great reflexes is handicapped because the movement of his/her tank no longer matches what he/she is used to. I notice it particularly in comparison to how I move and react on hix servers. I do not like being handicapped in this way.

In case you missed my point, I am emphatically against acceleration limit and have been since it was inflicted upon ducati. I cannot remember what brilliant mind introduced it in the first place... I really wish I knew.
This is the best way to balance the playing field, as I said not everyone is using a high speed mouse or low fps, why should one need good hardware to compete?, mouse users can change directions the fastest and it extremely hard for someone to kill a good mouse user since their tank movements are impossible to predict where they are going to go. This isn't a "gift" of great reflexes, this is simple settings, lets not be fooled here. Someone on keyboard can compete a lot better on Ducati rather than Hix due to being able to kill the mouse players a lot easier. This is because once can predict their next tank movement since their tanks do not jerk around nearly as easy as a server with no acceleration limit.The goal should always be a "level playing field". Why would we want to separate that? Competition is a good thing, no one enjoys trying to shoot a person who is using precise mouse settings on a 2 shot non jumping map. Now notice who have wanted the change, hj, grand slam, and yvaika. These 3 players have extremely fast tank movements, what is being done to accomplish these settings could be a mix of things. It's legal and I do NOT mind playing vs it at any means, but trying to impose this on a no jump 2 shot map would be a joke. Right now on a ducati map I could kill someone like hj or grand slam in the open field. If the settings were reversed I would not even attempt to fight them in the open field on Ducati, I would have to just sit behind a pryo and hide. I would like to hear some more players opinions on this like orbit, levi. and quantum dot. Particularly someone that understands what sort of drastic change this could be before the trigger is pulled here, and no I am not saying the above opinions are worthless by any means.

styx
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 392
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:30 pm

Re: Ducati Acceleration Limit

Post by styx » Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:57 pm

click click boom wrote:This is the best way to balance the playing field, as I said not everyone is using a high speed mouse or low fps, why should one need good hardware to compete?, mouse users can change directions the fastest and it extremely hard for someone to kill a good mouse user since their tank movements are impossible to predict where they are going to go. This isn't a "gift" of great reflexes, this is simple settings, lets not be fooled here. Someone on keyboard can compete a lot better on Ducati rather than Hix due to being able to kill the mouse players a lot easier. This is because once can predict their next tank movement since their tanks do not jerk around nearly as easy as a server with no acceleration limit.The goal should always be a "level playing field". Why would we want to separate that? Competition is a good thing, no one enjoys trying to shoot a person who is using precise mouse settings on a 2 shot non jumping map. Now notice who have wanted the change, hj, grand slam, and yvaika. These 3 players have extremely fast tank movements, what is being done to accomplish these settings could be a mix of things. It's legal and I do NOT mind playing vs it at any means, but trying to impose this on a no jump 2 shot map would be a joke. Right now on a ducati map I could kill someone like hj or grand slam in the open field. If the settings were reversed I would not even attempt to fight them in the open field on Ducati, I would have to just sit behind a pryo and hide. I would like to hear some more players opinions on this like orbit, levi. and quantum dot. Particularly someone that understands what sort of drastic change this could be before the trigger is pulled here, and no I am not saying the above opinions are worthless by any means.
I may be drastically misreading you, but you seem to say that it is all a matter of equipment and settings but not skill. I am sure a lot of people would like to think that is the case, but it simply is not. Give somebody my mouse, my setup and my settings, and they will not suddenly become as good as I am. Same thing would go for hj's setup.

The goal should be a level playing field? What bull is that? Are we all supposed to be aiming at giving everyone the same skill level? Shame on those of us who became good. Perhaps what we need is a handicap system.. maybe hj and I should get slightly larger tanks. Now I am quite sure you are not suggesting that; I merely intend to point out that if you go in that direction, you might as well not stop.
"A fool and his money are soon elected" -- Will Rogers

click click boom
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 153
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:53 pm

Re: Ducati Acceleration Limit

Post by click click boom » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:27 pm

I may be drastically misreading you, but you seem to say that it is all a matter of equipment and settings but not skill. I am sure a lot of people would like to think that is the case, but it simply is not. Give somebody my mouse, my setup and my settings, and they will not suddenly become as good as I am. Same thing would go for hj's setup.

The goal should be a level playing field? What bull is that? Are we all supposed to be aiming at giving everyone the same skill level? Shame on those of us who became good. Perhaps what we need is a handicap system.. maybe hj and I should get slightly larger tanks. Now I am quite sure you are not suggesting that; I merely intend to point out that if you go in that direction, you might as well not stop.
Lets be frank here, this is mainly equipment and settings, because if it wasn't the case you wouldn't be complaining that your skill wasn't good enough on a limited acceleration server. No one said you are not skilled. No one is aiming at giving everyone the same skill, the league isn't stating to use 120 fps, 1000 dpi and a low polling rate, take the hardware out of the game like it's being done on the Ducati server. This is why console gaming is level, everyone is using the same settings, I am not asking you to use the same mouse settings as I, stick to using your fast mouse/ low fps/ high polling rate, which ever you may chose. But as long as the server limits that acceleration you are wasting your precise settings. What skill is there involved when once can't judge where your tank is? Is that supposed to be fun? Ducati involves a lot of close up fighting, and if I can't hit your tank, or if I am shooting through your tank, how am I supposed to enjoy the game? Lag plays a pivotal point in Ducati, never mind the other settings involved....If you have the necessary skill needed why should the acceleration limit be reversed? are you not good enough at your current state or do you feel the need to become better?

osta
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 269
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:08 pm

Re: Ducati Acceleration Limit

Post by osta » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:30 pm

Just to mention:

styx was asking for no acceleration limit on ducati for a long time which was presented by some other ducati council member as main reason why he doesn't play that style.
Finally the limit was removed on one of the allejo's servers over a year ago but he never played there anyway.

So, what's the goal for changing it?

o.

EDIT:
It seems allejo never set a duc server without limit. It was decided to set as a trial, I was convinced he did so, but that apparently was a misunderstanding between kierra and me.
Last edited by osta on Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

click click boom
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 153
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:53 pm

Re: Ducati Acceleration Limit

Post by click click boom » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:38 pm

osta wrote:Just to mention:

styx was asking for no acceleration limit on ducati for a long time which was presented by some other ducati council member as main reason why he doesn't play that style.
Finally the limit was removed on one of the allejo's servers over a year ago but he never played there anyway.

So, what's the goal for changing it?

o.
osta: curious to know your preference on this considering the ducati style is something you enjoy playing?

osta
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 269
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:08 pm

Re: Ducati Acceleration Limit

Post by osta » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:50 pm

Personally I enjoy the current style (with a limit) more.

User avatar
kierra
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Posts: 3804
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2005 1:02 am
Location: outer Slovenia
Contact:

Re: Ducati Acceleration Limit

Post by kierra » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:52 pm

osta wrote:Just to mention:

styx was asking for no acceleration limit on ducati for a long time which was presented by some other ducati council member as main reason why he doesn't play that style.
Finally the limit was removed on one of the allejo's servers over a year ago but he never played there anyway.

So, what's the goal for changing it?

o.
Just to clarify....the msg to allejo to have a server without acceleration limits was lost somewhere and apparently not instituted. In double checking with allejo he stated:
[22:40:31] <allejo> my servers have acceleration settings
"Trying to reason with a fool is like trying to teach a goldfish to bring you the newspaper"
"Sometimes people try to expose what's wrong with you, because they can't handle what's right about you."
"Measure your words -- they determine the distance of your relationships"

hj
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 221
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:27 pm
Location: USA

Re: Ducati Acceleration Limit

Post by hj » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:57 pm

I vehemently disagree with any argument based on tradition and 'this is how things are, so we should keep them that way.' There are a great many things that are tradition, but aren't optimal. It's a lazy argument and instead we should be discussing the merits of no acceleration limit vs. acceleration limit.
click click boom wrote: This is the best way to balance the playing field...The goal should always be a "level playing field". Why would we want to separate that? Competition is a good thing, no one enjoys trying to shoot a person who is using precise mouse settings on a 2 shot non jumping map.
It seems that the pro-acceleration limit argument is really an argument for handicaps. This is also a lazy argument to me, as it tries to cap how good someone can get rather than incentivize people to keep practicing to get better. I will not pretend that there will likely be a larger gap between players with faster and slower reactions, but what right does anyone have to take that away from someone who is capable? This is childish to me, the idea that "it's unfair" that some people can get good at the game and therefore we need to limit them. Great. People have different skills and are blessed with different capabilities. Deal with it. Don't cry foul and attempt to handicap them. If there's someone who ends up leagues better than me in terms of reaction time, etc. then I'd still have the same opinion. But maybe that's just a difference in philosophy. I don't believe we should penalize and punish greatness, even in something as simple as a game. If most believe differently, then I guess that's just a sad commentary on people’s general philosophy and beliefs.
click click boom wrote: as I said not everyone is using a high speed mouse or low fps, why should one need good hardware to compete?, mouse users can change directions the fastest and it extremely hard for someone to kill a good mouse user since their tank movements are impossible to predict where they are going to go. This isn't a "gift" of great reflexes, this is simple settings, lets not be fooled here. Someone on keyboard can compete a lot better on Ducati rather than Hix due to being able to kill the mouse players a lot easier. This is because once can predict their next tank movement since their tanks do not jerk around nearly as easy as a server with no acceleration limit.Now notice who have wanted the change, hj, grand slam, and yvaika. These 3 players have extremely fast tank movements, what is being done to accomplish these settings could be a mix of things. It's legal and I do NOT mind playing vs it at any means, but trying to impose this on a no jump 2 shot map would be a joke.
Part of your argument stems from the abilities of people to react quickly. This has nothing to do with “good hardware” or “simple settings.” Let’s go through this one by one, in fact. By your own words, these hardware/settings include a high-dpi mouse and low fps – therefore, people who cannot afford a high-dpi mouse cannot compete. I find this very interesting, considering you cite me as someone who, for lack of a better term, takes advantage of such legal settings. I have a $20 mouse that I bought from my local Walgreens or CVS. It is a Logitech M510 and a quick google search shows that the dpi setting for this mouse is 1000. This is very far from the 8000 dpi you say some people spend money on in order to achieve fast reactions. Additionally, my fps is usually 120, although sometimes I set it to 180 if I have no patience for the tearing on my screen at 120. This is also very far from the “low fps” setting that you say makes it difficult to kill people. Furthermore, my mouse box size is 20, so it’s not like I’m able to change direction extremely quickly based on that. The only setting I change to make sure my mouse is fast is one we are all privy to. I increase my mouse speed settings in my Windows' control panel. So, let us dispel with this fiction that settings and hardware, but not reaction time, are the chief reasons for quick changes in direction, as by CCB’s own account, I have very poor settings to accomplish this.

So again, this comes down to whether or not we should stifle people’s skill and put limits on greatness in this game because we are being children and believe in cosmic justice for what we consider “unfair.” If this is what people believe, then so be it, but recognize the argument you are making before you stand by it so staunchly.
-hj

styx
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 392
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:30 pm

Re: Ducati Acceleration Limit

Post by styx » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:13 pm

osta wrote:Just to mention:

styx was asking for no acceleration limit on ducati for a long time which was presented by some other ducati council member as main reason why he doesn't play that style.
Finally the limit was removed on one of the allejo's servers over a year ago but he never played there anyway.

So, what's the goal for changing it?

o.
Dear old osta, so reliable. When I first posted on this thread, I knew you would come along and say this.. I just knew it. Acceleration limit, to the best of my knowledge, was never removed. I believe there was a rumour that it had been removed once, but I tested it and it definitely wasn't.

Curious also to know what your goal is in posting here? Do you even intend to play in the unified league? I imagined you were happy in your own kingdom. If you do not intend to, I can only think that your goal is to discredit me. So unkind, so predictable.
"A fool and his money are soon elected" -- Will Rogers

User avatar
kierra
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Posts: 3804
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2005 1:02 am
Location: outer Slovenia
Contact:

Re: Ducati Acceleration Limit

Post by kierra » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:29 pm

styx wrote: I cannot remember what brilliant mind introduced it in the first place... I really wish I knew.
Acceleration limits came about in late '05.....Death Barrel created such a huge stink on the old duc site forum about "Mouse Enhancement" when he discovered that some players had d/l mouse drivers for their particular mouse. Thus began the hoopla of *not fair". The forum debate grew hot with ad hominems flying to & fro. At that time mistake, barons, yummy, catay, tokimi (and more) were favorable to no limits.
Meno finally acquiesced to the whines & cries of "NOT FAIR" and imposed acceleration limits....to bring about a modicum of peace.
The reason gu has no acceleration limits is perhaps because when it was started in Jan '05 by ducati players there were no acceleration limits were in place at the time on duc.
The debate over acceleration limit continued into the ducleague council in '06 as seen from the link I posted earlier viewtopic.php?f=90&t=8936
"Trying to reason with a fool is like trying to teach a goldfish to bring you the newspaper"
"Sometimes people try to expose what's wrong with you, because they can't handle what's right about you."
"Measure your words -- they determine the distance of your relationships"

click click boom
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 153
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:53 pm

Re: Ducati Acceleration Limit

Post by click click boom » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:42 pm

Part of your argument stems from the abilities of people to react quickly. This has nothing to do with “good hardware” or “simple settings.” Let’s go through this one by one, in fact. By your own words, these hardware/settings include a high-dpi mouse and low fps – therefore, people who cannot afford a high-dpi mouse cannot compete. I find this very interesting, considering you cite me as someone who, for lack of a better term, takes advantage of such legal settings. I have a $20 mouse that I bought from my local Walgreens or CVS. It is a Logitech M510 and a quick google search shows that the dpi setting for this mouse is 1000. This is very far from the 8000 dpi you say some people spend money on in order to achieve fast reactions. Additionally, my fps is usually 120, although sometimes I set it to 180 if I have no patience for the tearing on my screen at 120. This is also very far from the “low fps” setting that you say makes it difficult to kill people. Furthermore, my mouse box size is 20, so it’s not like I’m able to change direction extremely quickly based on that. The only setting I change to make sure my mouse is fast is one we are all privy to. I increase my mouse speed settings in my Windows' control panel. So, let us dispel with this fiction that settings and hardware, but not reaction time, are the chief reasons for quick changes in direction, as by CCB’s own account, I have very poor settings to accomplish this.

So again, this comes down to whether or not we should stifle people’s skill and put limits on greatness in this game because we are being children and believe in cosmic justice for what we consider “unfair.” If this is what people believe, then so be it, but recognize the argument you are making before you stand by it so staunchly.
hj: this is not people reacting quickly based off of natural reactions, this is people reacting quickly due to their preferred settings, big difference here. I am not saying your good reaction time doesn't "help" by any means like you guys are stating, but it takes your preferred settings along with your reaction skills. Right now on Ducati your preferred settings are thrown out the window and your reaction time just comes into play, and what we see happens is you die a lot easier on it. This has everything to due with good hardware or amplified mouse settings. You state you are using a lower dpi mouse and are using a higher fps, but a small mouse box size can achievement the same as a higher end dpi mouse. I have trouble hitting you, your tank movements are extremely hard to predict, and I find I shoot through you and grand slam a lot due to it. I shoot through both of you a lot less on a Ducati server. There was a reason why acceleration limit was applied on Ducati. There are many ways that a player could mess with their tank moments to make your client feel sluggish. Some I heard back in the day would run livewire because it would help the way their tank would dodge, some would use Itunes. Some say Skype does this as well, I guess that's one of the reasons why it isn't on the approved communications list. So with acceleration limit on these 3rd party programs don't do their job as they would on hix, and I don't want to hear that people don't do this today because I am sure someone out there does, I have done it in the past and it does make your tank harder to be hit, I am not sure of the technicalities behind it or the reasons either. @ hj and gs, you two are at the top of the chain when it comes to skill level in the game, if your reflexes are as good as you state what's the issue with keeping acceleration in Ducati?, by reversing it you two would only be a lot harder to kill on the map, if that's what you want then go for it. But I sure wouldn't play on it again.
Last edited by click click boom on Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

click click boom
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 153
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:53 pm

Re: Ducati Acceleration Limit

Post by click click boom » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:47 pm

kierra wrote:
styx wrote: I cannot remember what brilliant mind introduced it in the first place... I really wish I knew.
Acceleration limits came about in late '05.....Death Barrel created such a huge stink on the old duc site forum about "Mouse Enhancement" when he discovered that some players had d/l mouse drivers for their particular mouse. Thus began the hoopla of *not fair". The forum debate grew hot with ad hominems flying to & fro. At that time mistake, barons, yummy, catay, tokimi (and more) were favorable to no limits.
Meno finally acquiesced to the whines & cries of "NOT FAIR" and imposed acceleration limits....to bring about a modicum of peace.
The reason gu has no acceleration limits is perhaps because when it was started in Jan '05 by ducati players there were no acceleration limits were in place at the time on duc.
The debate over acceleration limit continued into the ducleague council in '06 as seen from the link I posted earlier viewtopic.php?f=90&t=8936
Kierra: GU league has thought about this in the past. The reason why they couldn't go forth with it is because of changing directions in mid air in jumps wouldn't work, the pyramid jumps wouldn't work either. This is the sole reason it was not being applied on Gu at the times these discussions took place. Also death barrel wasn't whining about particular mouse drivers for their mouse, he was whining about a mouse driver that worked for all mouses. I forget the name of this program because it's been over 10 years. But the program would jack up the mouse speed, and also the polling rate, not sure what else it did. Keep in mind at the time this was big news because nobody did this and the playing field was even so when people started to look for short cuts it became a big debate, Ducati league felt the best way to get rid of these shorts cuts was by adding acceleration limit. Keep in mind before Ducati implemented this nobody was taking advantage of such preferences. But as the gaming industry revolutionized it became apparent this needed to be handled with accordingly.

Monster
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 209
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:06 pm

Re: Ducati Acceleration Limit

Post by Monster » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:13 pm

As the whole topic is new to me this was an interesting read. I have no particular oppinion on the matter since I never even noticed the difference btw. ducati and hix settings. The topic itself got me started thinking though.
I never liked the fact that there are settings missing in the options menue of the game which makes it nessecary to alter the configuration file itself. Is it true that there are settings which are somewhat hidden and do grant certain advantages and why are they allowed? I am thinking of fps settings that allow farther jumps. The fact that some players should be allowed to make the jump from the level 1 corner block to the catwalk on hix easier than others always irked me. To me that is an unnessecary unfair advantage that does not allow for better skill but simplifies a certain aspect of the game. If besaid mouse and fps settings fall into the same category I am in favor of limiting such advantages. If they on the other hand open the door for another way to apply certain skills I would not like to see them restricted.

Best,
Mo :)

hj
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 221
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:27 pm
Location: USA

Re: Ducati Acceleration Limit

Post by hj » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:35 pm

click click boom wrote: Right now on Ducati your preferred settings are thrown out the window and your reaction time just comes into play, and what we see happens is you die a lot easier on it. This has everything to due with good hardware or amplified mouse settings. You state you are using a lower dpi mouse and are using a higher fps, but a small mouse box size can achievement the same as a higher end dpi mouse.
hj wrote: Furthermore, my mouse box size is 20
This is literally double the mouse box size of the largest you can have on GUI settings. Moreover, if you want it to be just reaction time that comes into play, then you should be advocating for no acceleration limit. Acceleration limits are a check on your reaction time because it prevents your tank from reacting as quickly as your hand/mouse does. You're making my argument for me, but I have no qualms about that.
click click boom wrote: I have trouble hitting you, your tank movements are extremely hard to predict, and I find I shoot through you and grand slam a lot due to it. I shoot through both of you a lot less on a Ducati server. There was a reason why acceleration limit was applied on Ducati. There are many ways that a player could mess with their tank moments to make your client feel sluggish. Some I heard back in the day would run livewire because it would help the way their tank would dodge, some would use Itunes. Some say Skype does this as well, I guess that's one of the reasons why it isn't on the approved communications list. So with acceleration limit on these 3rd party programs don't do their job as they would on hix, and I don't want to hear that people don't do this today because I am sure someone out there does, I have done it in the past and it does make your tank harder to be hit, I am not sure of the technicalities behind it or the reasons either. @ hj and gs, you two are at the top of the chain when it comes to skill level in the game, if your reflexes are as good as you state what's the issue with keeping acceleration in Ducati?, by reversing it you two would only be a lot harder to kill on the map, if that's what you want then go for it. But I sure wouldn't play on it again.
I try to make my movements hard to predict - this is the whole idea behind dodging in an open area. The idea of the acceleration limit and shooting accurately more often on a ducati server is precisely my point. It is a handicap that is meant to make everyone closer to mediocre rather than encourage people to try and be the best. I don't care much for the argument that it's so people can't abuse programs running in the background. If someone does it, whatever - that shouldn't prevent every other person from playing without an upper limit. My reflexes aren't bad, but my point is there's a limit on how quickly someone can react because of the acceleration max. This is silly to me. There is no instance in which I will advocate for fascism of mediocrity than incentives to keep climbing the ladder to greatness, whether in life or just a video game.
-hj

Exuro
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:44 pm

Re: Ducati Acceleration Limit

Post by Exuro » Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:00 pm

Who says every map has to be in favor of players who can react the fastest?
Some maps, like ducati do not. And that is one reason why many like it exactly that way.

User avatar
The Red Baron
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 987
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2002 6:21 am
Contact:

Re: Ducati Acceleration Limit

Post by The Red Baron » Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:03 pm

Strip it out for old time's sake. Lag back then was the underlying problem and the accel limit was a band-aid to the "mouse" problem exacerbated by a physics engine that had no mass. VPS's are cheap these days.

It wasn't custom or fancy hardware, This was the mouse I used back in my hey-day with the OEM driver.
Image
Beware! I'm going to clone myself and spread those clones all over the world!

click click boom
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 153
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:53 pm

Re: Ducati Acceleration Limit

Post by click click boom » Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:21 pm

hj: I try to make my movements hard to predict - this is the whole idea behind dodging in an open area. The idea of the acceleration limit and shooting accurately more often on a ducati server is precisely my point. It is a handicap that is meant to make everyone closer to mediocre rather than encourage people to try and be the best. I don't care much for the argument that it's so people can't abuse programs running in the background. If someone does it, whatever - that shouldn't prevent every other person from playing without an upper limit. My reflexes aren't bad, but my point is there's a limit on how quickly someone can react because of the acceleration max. This is silly to me. There is no instance in which I will advocate for fascism of mediocrity than incentives to keep climbing the ladder to greatness, whether in life or just a video game.
Everyone tries to make there movements hard to predict but when you have the ability to change directions faster with no acceleration limits that doesn't make it right. You have this ability due to your preferences while some don't. It is a handicap to prevent people like you from changing tank directions 6 times in a second so one can predict where their tank is, by doing this it becomes a level playing field. You are acting as this was a handicap to prevent the great players becoming better, no this is not the case. Your REFLEXES do not change because of acceleration limit. You will still make the move as you wish on a Ducati server but you flinging your mouse 20 times in a second across the screen won't be nearly as effective on Ducati as it is on Hix.
This is literally double the mouse box size of the largest you can have on GUI settings. Moreover, if you want it to be just reaction time that comes into play, then you should be advocating for no acceleration limit. Acceleration limits are a check on your reaction time because it prevents your tank from reacting as quickly as your hand/mouse does. You're making my argument for me, but I have no qualms about that.
hj: you got it wrong, Ducati is only reaction time which i'm advocating for while hix is reaction time, mouse preferences, low fps, and third party apps. Why are you in favor of people exploiting the game more than it is?

The Red Baron wrote:Strip it out for old time's sake. Lag back then was the underlying problem and the accel limit was a band-aid to the "mouse" problem exacerbated by a physics engine that had no mass. VPS's are cheap these days.

It wasn't custom or fancy hardware, This was the mouse I used back in my hey-day with the OEM driver.
Image
And this is why the playing field was even 15 years ago until the mouse world evolved. TRB you had a nice mouse, 15 years ago i was using a trackball so you were definitely ahead of the curve there :), oh and like once a week it required cleaning from the gunk that built up in it.

Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest