Leagues United Website Issues + Bugs

Discussion for Leagues United players
allejo
Breaker of Builds
Breaker of Builds

Leagues United Website Issues + Bugs

Post by allejo »

The Leagues United website is brand new and not without bugs or issues. We would like your help finding these bugs so we can squash them and organize them. We're using GitHub's issue tracker but we won't require you to create a GitHub account since you won't use it otherwise, so we will have this thread available to report issues and issues will be created for you on GitHub.

Here are some known issues:
Thanks for your help, everyone!
Last edited by allejo on Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Exuro
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Leagues United Website Issues + Bugs

Post by Exuro »

# The bottom link "Admins" leads to a page where League Council, Devs and Cops are listed, but not the Admins.

# Matches on the "Matches" page for jan 11th shows "(+/- 17) DIRT DIRT [2] vs [0] Bad Company" instead of the score, same for some others, like jan 6th

# The message merging is wrong. It shows older team-messages before one actually joined the team. This was never the case in the former leagues and is a big privacy problem this way.

# The link in Teams > Team Activity [?] leads to nowhere. Same with Match Statistics [?]

# The Server page shows me "updated now" after I loaded the site, it still shows "updated now" after half an hour without internet connection.

-----

And if that is ok, I'd like to add a few usability/ layout things (if not, we can move them into another topic)

# The ladder should have the teamscores either on the first position or left adjusted on the second, the score should be separated by a " - "

# If the teamnames (with scores) are left aligned, so should the win/ loss/draw part.

# The 2 column layout for matches is hard to read, maybe add either more space between the columns, a line as seperator. or make it two-colored.

# Some info about the matches should be added: 20 or 30 min matches, and - since this is not a single map league anymore - which map was played.

# Additionally the time when a match was played is needed. Trying to find a specific match this way - especially when two teams played multiple matches on the same day but on different server is nearly impossible this way.

# On the message tab: Only showing 5 per page when one has several hundred messages is insufficient. Either the amount of messages shown should be selectable or one should be able to move through all via a sidebar.

# The match-page has deleted teams in a different color than the existing teams (I know the reason is they have no link, but still, that breaks the visual flow).
Exuro
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Exuro »

Adding a few more:

# last matches on the front-page: were they played today, last week or last year? They should have at least a date.
# Same for the news.

#*1 Match info accessibility from the front-page (last matches)
When one wants to have more info about one of the last 5 matches from the front-page, one has to click on the team (!), then on the teampage having to scroll completely down to recent activities, find there the match one wants more infos about and click again on it.

#*1 Match info accessibility from the "Matches" page
On the "Matches" page, for older matches, how is one supposed to get the match info? There is no way to access matches prior to the five most recent ones (via the way described above)
(Example: Try to get the info for: September 18, 2015 - Tactical Aptitude 2 - 2 Bad Company)

# On some teampages, there is just a "previous avatar" text, on some others (BZB) there is a "previous avatar"-Image linked, but missing

# Some info on teampages has links to the former guleague.org page, which were at that time more or less internal links (to other team-pages) - all of those will break when those sites are shut down.
Example: Teampage B00M, Milestones linking to Teamprofil of [PG] Pure Gold ( http://www.guleague.org/Teams/?profile=313)

# More strange than an actual bug:
When trying to mark a whole line on the "Matches" page, it only marks the first team, the score of the first team and the second team, but not the second team's score which lies inbetween. To mark this (score of the second team) too, one has to mark additionally the line under. Is that intentional?

--
Correction to *1:
One can get to this info when clicking the score (one has to actually hit exactly either the first or the second number though; not really easy on a 11" screen). Maybe make it more visible that the score is linked, atm it is not.
Zehra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zehra »

[redacted]
Last edited by Zehra on Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Those who are critical of me, I'll likely be the same of them. ~Zehra
The decisions we make are the ones we look forward too and the ones we regret. ~Zehra
There's a difference between knowing my name and knowing me, one shows respect to my name and the other is to who I am. ~Zehra

See where I've last been active at Strayers.
Visit BZList.net for a modern HTML5 server stats site.

Click here to view the 101 Leaderboard & Score Summaries Last updated 2021-01-12 (YYYY-MM-DD)
Latest 101 thread
allejo
Breaker of Builds
Breaker of Builds

Post by allejo »

Exuro wrote:# The bottom link "Admins" leads to a page where League Council, Devs and Cops are listed, but not the Admins.
We couldn't figure out what to call this either... We'll figure something out!
Exuro wrote:# Matches on the "Matches" page for jan 11th shows "(+/- 17) DIRT DIRT [2] vs [0] Bad Company" instead of the score, same for some others, like jan 6th
Fixed in 0.9.1
Exuro wrote:# The message merging is wrong. It shows older team-messages before one actually joined the team. This was never the case in the former leagues and is a big privacy problem this way.
We have started remerging the messages and fixing this. The changes should be visible in the next day or two.
Exuro wrote:# The link in Teams > Team Activity [?] leads to nowhere. Same with Match Statistics [?]
It's planned to make this lead somewhere!
Exuro wrote:# The Server page shows me "updated now" after I loaded the site, it still shows "updated now" after half an hour without internet connection.
The server page reloads every 5 minutes but only when someone visits that page. So if you visit the page in another minute, you'll see if say "1 minute ago." If you visit the page in 30 minutes and no one else has visited it, it'll say "updated now."
Exuro wrote:# The ladder should have the teamscores either on the first position or left adjusted on the second, the score should be separated by a " - "
Do you mean the ELOs?
Exuro wrote:# If the teamnames (with scores) are left aligned, so should the win/ loss/draw part.
We choose to put this on the right side to use that white space. It looked rather bare before that
Exuro wrote:# The 2 column layout for matches is hard to read, maybe add either more space between the columns, a line as seperator. or make it two-colored.
We'll clean it up in 0.9.1
Exuro wrote:# Some info about the matches should be added: 20 or 30 min matches, and - since this is not a single map league anymore - which map was played.
Exuro wrote:# Additionally the time when a match was played is needed. Trying to find a specific match this way - especially when two teams played multiple matches on the same day but on different server is nearly impossible this way.
This can be viewed when you click on a match to view more details. Otherwise, the matches are ordered with the most recent at the top left, then top right, and then new line.
Exuro wrote:# On the message tab: Only showing 5 per page when one has several hundred messages is insufficient. Either the amount of messages shown should be selectable or one should be able to move through all via a sidebar.
The messaging feature is going to see a huge improvement visually in the coming updates
Exuro wrote:# The match-page has deleted teams in a different color than the existing teams (I know the reason is they have no link, but still, that breaks the visual flow).
It's unfortunate that it breaks the visual flow but at the same time we don't want to confuse people thinking there's something to click when there isn't.
Exuro wrote:# last matches on the front-page: were they played today, last week or last year? They should have at least a date.
# Same for the news.
Good call
Exuro wrote:#*1 Match info accessibility from the front-page (last matches)
When one wants to have more info about one of the last 5 matches from the front-page, one has to click on the team (!), then on the teampage having to scroll completely down to recent activities, find there the match one wants more infos about and click again on it.

One can get to this info when clicking the score (one has to actually hit exactly either the first or the second number though; not really easy on a 11" screen). Maybe make it more visible that the score is linked, atm it is not.
Each match will be linked to the details just like matches page. The match details page will be updated and cleaned up for all screen sizes in 0.9.1
Exuro wrote:#*1 Match info accessibility from the "Matches" page
On the "Matches" page, for older matches, how is one supposed to get the match info? There is no way to access matches prior to the five most recent ones (via the way described above)
(Example: Try to get the info for: September 18, 2015 - Tactical Aptitude 2 - 2 Bad Company)
Good call, we'll add a method to make it easier to go back in history for matches.
Exuro wrote:# On some teampages, there is just a "previous avatar" text, on some others (BZB) there is a "previous avatar"-Image linked, but missing
This is left for the teams to fix, message their captains to update it!
Exuro wrote:# Some info on teampages has links to the former guleague.org page, which were at that time more or less internal links (to other team-pages) - all of those will break when those sites are shut down.
Example: Teampage B00M, Milestones linking to Teamprofil of [PG] Pure Gold ( http://www.guleague.org/Teams/?profile=313)
See previous answer
Exuro wrote:# More strange than an actual bug:
When trying to mark a whole line on the "Matches" page, it only marks the first team, the score of the first team and the second team, but not the second team's score which lies inbetween. To mark this (score of the second team) too, one has to mark additionally the line under. Is that intentional?
I don't quite follow. Could you elaborate?
Flak 18 wrote:I have a large screen and it still needs a resize in order to fit in the screen.
The current website is responsive and resizes to a maximum of 1920px width.
Flak 18 wrote:Also with login it's a jarring feeling since you come from a light theme to a dark theme for login.
Read my original post.
Flak 18 wrote:Also a gif animation would be nice to have on the front page.
We are also planning on implementing the <blink> tag using new technologies in CSS3 as well. Look forward to our improvements!
Flak 18 wrote:Please add pictures of maps so new users will know what HiX, Ducati, Babel, Pillbox are.
Planned
Flak 18 wrote:Also sort the servers by alphabetical order and by how many are on one at the moment.
Planned
Flak 18 wrote:Seems that the site has issues with the identicons, since many do not appear/display when the site is used.
Reload the page, typically this happens because not all of the identicons were generated in time (the player list page)
Flak 18 wrote:And what occurs if someone has registered two accounts before LU started(such as having one in GU and the other at Ducati)?
When you login, with your BZBB account, you'll have to pray that Leagues United uses the correct BZBB account.
Flak 18 wrote:And how are matches counted if 1vs1?
this is not the league you are looking for.
Flak 18 wrote:What happens to the site if we have the "Slashdot effect" since we've made releases of bzion and BZFlag 2.4.4 "Be My Valentank" and Leagues United?
We'll worry about this when we make it to Slashdot
Flak 18 wrote:And for the "get started page" there should be a link to the wiki and to downloads of bzflag.
But I like Spiderman! This page will be written in the coming days :)
kierra
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by kierra »

Flak 18 wrote: And what occurs if someone has registered two accounts before LU started(such as having one in GU and the other at Ducati)?
Those gu players who wanted a different nick on the duc spawn list (and you know who you are) will find that I removed their ducati nick from the LU player list. So you avoid the trouble of having 2 nicks on the LU spawn list.
"Sometimes people try to expose what's wrong with you, because they can't handle what's right about you."
"Measure your words -- they determine the distance of your relationships"
"If serving is beneath you, leadership is beyond ypu."
Monster
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Monster »

- There is no visual indication for wether a message has or hasn't been read yet.

As the following are suggestions and not bugs I'm not sure if they belong. If the do not please ignore them, I'm not trying to annoy anyone :)

- On mobile (chrome android) a visual barrier between matches might be a good idea since teams are listed below each other.
- Once logged in it would be nice to have a visual indication which team your joined, and maybe even which matches your team played, as in shaded in light grey or sthng. of the sort.
- In the "maps" section it would be nice ifone could click on the maps to get to a site with pictures and short explenation of it.

+ What does "It's over 9000" mean? :)

Especially on mobile the site looks very nice! Good job!
Best,
Mo
click click boom
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by click click boom »

mobile site is amazing, i agree too.

Noticed a bug, or what appears to be: under matches: teams with avatars are tron and patriots, Bad company has uploaded a avatar, you can check this by clicking on there team page, but under matches it isn't showing their avatar icon.
Zehra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zehra »

[redacted]
Last edited by Zehra on Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The decisions we make are the ones we look forward too and the ones we regret. ~Zehra
There's a difference between knowing my name and knowing me, one shows respect to my name and the other is to who I am. ~Zehra

Click here to view the 101 Leaderboard & Score Summaries Last updated 2021-01-12 (YYYY-MM-DD)
Latest 101 thread
alezakos
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by alezakos »

Monster wrote:- There is no visual indication for weather a message has or hasn't been read yet.
There is a visual indication for unread conversations, but not one for unread messages.
It would be a good idea though to add such an indicator, or make clicking an unread conversation get you to the last unread message, so that's another item for our todo list

Monster wrote:- On mobile (chrome android) a visual barrier between matches might be a good idea since teams are listed below each other.
Noted!

Monster wrote:- Once logged in it would be nice to have a visual indication which team your joined, and maybe even which matches your team played, as in shaded in light grey or sthng. of the sort.
Also noted!

Monster wrote:- In the "maps" section it would be nice ifone could click on the maps to get to a site with pictures and short explenation of it.
The maps page already supports that, but we are still trying to find the perfect screenshot and description for each map (suggestions welcome!)

Monster wrote:+ What does "It's over 9000" mean? :)
It means that the amount of it exceeds the level of nine thousand units.( I honestly have no idea )

Monster wrote:Especially on mobile the site looks very nice! Good job!
click click boom wrote:mobile site is amazing, i agree too.
allejo is responsible for that, say something nice to him if you see him on one of the servers :)

click click boom wrote:Noticed a bug, or what appears to be: under matches: teams with avatars are tron and patriots, Bad company has uploaded a avatar, you can check this by clicking on there team page, but under matches it isn't showing their avatar icon.
TRON and Patriots have set their avatars properly on the new league site, while Bad Company and all other teams have just kept their ducati or GU avatars from the merge, which are just stored as images in their description (that's because the old league site handled avatars differently than we do - on old sites, players had to provide a URL to the avatar, while BZiON just accepts an image file to upload). As is the case for missing avatars and wrong internal links that Exuro reported, you should message team captains to fix their avatars.

Flak 18 wrote:The site mostly appears to be unencrypted.
Also is the site going to use HTTPS or SSL since I would have some concerned with SSL (a.k.a. TLS).
blast has posted a response to this here. HTTPS would always be nice, but it's not critical for a league website, if it means preventing Windows XP users from playing. Do note that authentication takes place on my.bzflag.org, which supports HTTPS, meaning your BZBB password is secure.

Flak 18 wrote:Please make the icons on the site clickable since it will be a easier to navigate on a tablet or a smartphone.
(note the icons meant are just above the links "Servers", "Matches", and "Getting Started")
Noted!

Flak 18 wrote:(Also making team icons clickable would be nice ) :)
Also noted

You can check the progress most bugs reported in this thread in the Github issue we have created for this purpose.
Exuro
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Exuro »

Exuro wrote:
# The bottom link "Admins" leads to a page where League Council, Devs and Cops are listed, but not the Admins.
allejo wrote:
We couldn't figure out what to call this either... We'll figure something out!
Well, keep the name ("Admins"), or use "Administration", just add the actual admins there (in case a player wants to contact them; the main reason one checks that page).

--
Exuro wrote:
# The ladder should have the teamscores either on the first position or left adjusted on the second, the score should be separated by a " - "
allejo wrote:
Do you mean the ELOs?
Yes I meant ELO.

--
Exuro wrote:
# On some teampages, there is just a "previous avatar" text, on some others (BZB) there is a "previous avatar"-Image linked, but missing
Exuro wrote:
# Some info on teampages has links to the former guleague.org page, which were at that time more or less internal links (to other team-pages) - all of those will break when those sites are shut down.

allejo wrote:
This is left for the teams to fix, message their captains to update it!
I wished this was that easy - the problem is mainly for all the inactive/ not maintained teams.
Maybe at a later stage a local redirect can be set.

--
Exuro wrote:
# The match-page has deleted teams in a different color than the existing teams (I know the reason is they have no link, but still, that breaks the visual flow).
allejo wrote:
It's unfortunate that it breaks the visual flow but at the same time we don't want to confuse people thinking there's something to click when there isn't.
I hope you reconsider (and just link all those teams to a "sorry, nothing to see here" page - that would keep the visual flow)

--

The above, in context with the following, makes it really hard:
Sometimes a non-colored text (score for example) is a link, sometimes it is not (deleted teams); Sometimes you see a mouse-over colorchange on links, sometimes you do not. For casual visitors, this is neither consistent nor self-explanatory
Example

Please use a more homogeneous way of handling links and non-links.

--
Exuro wrote:
allejo wrote:
Example

--
Exuro
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Exuro »

Is it a feature or bug that I can not select or manually enter my own callsign as recipient when composing a message?
alezakos
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by alezakos »

Exuro wrote:Is it a feature or bug that I can not select or manually enter my own callsign as recipient when composing a message?
It's a feature - do you have any use cases where it might be useful to send a message to yourself?
Exuro
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Exuro »

Actually, yes:
For example to send myself some League United reminders (and have them all in one place).
Or as a means to draft a message, which the message system lacks.

(bzbb forum allows that and the former league sites did so also)

Not website but leagues united servers related:
Players have no right to poll, they should be allowed to /poll kick an idling player.
Last edited by Exuro on Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Exuro
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Exuro »

Well, one more:

Can we have an official address where matchresults can be send to, in case a match was not automatically entered?
Either cops or admins can do that, but with most of them sometimes not available for days this is not the best option anymore.

If that is too much work to implement, you could alternatively create an "official" report-here thread and link to it from the games united webpage.
Zehra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zehra »

[redacted]
Last edited by Zehra on Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Latest 101 thread
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

If there's an idling player on a match server, use the mapchange functionality to reset the server. Also, it's not as though there's a shortage of match server ports (3 different servers, 3 match ports each).
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

kierra
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by kierra »

Flak 18 wrote:I would have to agree with Exuro on allowing players to vote to kick an idle player.
There are many times when I wish I could make a vote to kick an idle player since most of the time they're away from keyboard.
(it creates issues on match servers since you may not know who is away from keyboard or not.) (It's also annoying on servers where you ask five or so observers and they're away from keyboard.)
There really is no call or advantage gained from /poll kicking an observer.
Exuro wrote:Either cops or admins can do that, but with most of them sometimes not available for days this is not the best option anymore.
There are several admins/cops that log onto the LU site everyday and some several times a day. Ask any gu player, match reports sent to me are posted in a timely manner.
"Sometimes people try to expose what's wrong with you, because they can't handle what's right about you."
Exuro
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Exuro »

There are several admins/cops that log onto the LU site everyday and some several times a day. Ask any gu player, match reports sent to me are posted in a timely manner.
I am not asking for me, but for players who may not know how to handle such a situation.
Their first place to search for it is - or would be - the leagues united webpage, where you are not listed as an admin (*1).
We don't have to complicate things artificially for new or inexperienced players, instead we should reduce the obstacles to attract more and keep them in the league.

At the moment, the lack of information about match entering is a bug.
Please add this info either directly on the leagues united website or link to a - later to be created - FAQ

Furthermore, the "administration" part should either link to a description about what the responsibilities of those groups are, or have a short info about what they can do, for example: "can enter matches manually"

----
*1 If being listed as "league council" makes one eligible fro match entering, players would assume that other members of this group - like allejo - are also willing to.
kierra
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by kierra »

Rules page http://leaguesunited.org/rules states what to do if match fails to autoreport:
In the event of automatic reporting being unsuccessful or incorrect, the winning team (or the team gaining points in the case of a tie; i.e., the lower-ranked team) is responsible for reporting the match results to an administrator, who will then enter or correct it on the league website. A match which is manually reported shall include the names of the teams involved, each team's score, the date and GMT time when the match ended, that map style which was used and the length of the match.
It has long been the norm in gu league that admins can post matches. It is no different with LU
all those listed here can post matches: http://leaguesunited.org/admins
It would make sense to send post requests to those most active in logging onto bzion OR send them a forum pm with the details.....date, teams, match length, map type, score, players.

I would highly recommend all players read through the LU site pages.
allejo
Breaker of Builds
Breaker of Builds

Post by allejo »

Exuro wrote:
Exuro wrote:
allejo wrote:
Do you mean the ELOs?
Yes I meant ELO.
We'll take this into consideration
Exuro wrote:
Exuro wrote:
allejo wrote:
I hope you reconsider (and just link all those teams to a "sorry, nothing to see here" page - that would keep the visual flow)
With accessibility in mind (full accessibility support is planned in the coming releases), it'd be misleading and I don't think we'll go with this just to keep the "visual flow."
Exuro wrote:
Exuro wrote:
allejo wrote:
Example
This is caused by how the HTML is generated and how your browser works; it's not something we're looking to fix.
Exuro wrote: Not website but leagues united servers related:
Players have no right to poll, they should be allowed to /poll kick a idling player.
Polling is not a perm I think we'll be implementing any time soon as it can lead to abuse during matches. As blast already mentioned, I alone host two other ports if you do not want to switch geographic locations.
click click boom
Private First Class
Private First Class

Hey folks,
as noted constitution posted a triples tournament under the news. I for one will look at that section but I am sure many don't. I really like the new notifications feature and feel strongly that all news should be pushed through that notification center. It would help make sure the players see what's going on.
click click boom
Private First Class
Private First Class

allejo
Breaker of Builds
Breaker of Builds

Post by allejo »

click click boom wrote:Hey folks,
as noted constitution posted a triples tournament under the news. I for one will look at that section but I am sure many don't. I really like the new notifications feature and feel strongly that all news should be pushed through that notification center. It would help make sure the players see what's going on.
Not a bad idea!
click click boom wrote:Glitch under March 1

http://postimg.org/image/4z2m0juu9/
Added to the original post as a known issue; it has been fixed and will be released in 0.9.1.
click click boom
Private First Class
Private First Class

Ok: website is pretty great...

but there is 1 flaw i can't stand on it. and I think it is an easy fix but then again i am not a developer.

The LU plugin records stats, win%, caps, and activity...

When clicking the players list on the left hand side all players are listed in alphabetical order.. If one wants to look for team less players it's a pain in the rear... I am asking if a filter could be added for:

1: abc order
2: team less mates
3: win%
4: activity
5: captures