In Need of New Blood

Discussion for Leagues United players
Gollum
Private First Class
Private First Class

In Need of New Blood

Post by Gollum »

Where is the League? I have been active for a week now...

I have seen a lot of FM's with the same exact people. Are we pulling in new folks? What do we need to do to get some?
Are we advertising? I just see a dying game. 2 times I have logged on early evening, and seen 1 person online in all BZ.
That is never seen... not in all my days of playing, or even "Checking in"...

I am just wondering, there is a lot of talk of updating, and how to make it work... But we don't have a BZ Community.
We have maybe 30 registered players who are active to date. And even that feels semi-generous. The leagues are dead, and those who really
poured heart and soul have left, or rage quit. (Besides the few ol farts. No offense :P )

I dont want to sound like a downer, but in my week here, and listening to people... I don't see a future in BZ. Unless DRASTIC changes are made, not just in graphics. We basically have two leagues right now. PieLovers, and LU. I dont know what went on, I dont care... But having cliques when BZ is in its last days... Isn't conducive to keeping breathe in its lungs.

I see and hear dissension in the now "United" League.
Ironic.

I hope it improves, I hope BZ can thrive again, a lot of great memories on this game.
Until then, until people can put aside differences and remember its a game, and we are stupid humans who make mistakes...
You have scheduled FM's. Great, but notice the servers are empty 3/4 of the time otherwise?

Gollum, out.
osta
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: In Need of New Blood

Post by osta »

I agree with you, Gollum, the BZ flag is going down. It's nothing new, it was like that since few years at least.
I agree also, that this game needs serious refreshment if it has to attract more players. Some things and mechanisms that worked 6-8 years ago are not efficient and attractive anymore, but I don't really see any serious thought on that. As long as the discussion will be driven into 'how something should work', instead of 'why would people like to play such a game', we won't go anywhere. This lesson wasn't learned while creating LU. Some people tried to bring that topic under discussion, but it wasn't followed.

I still have fun playing here, I always try to make it a nice place for new players and I'm happy to play with old friends, especially on non-jumping maps. If you see me on BZ, feel welcome to join :)

Also, please notice that PieLovers is not a league and never meant to be. A league is a group of teams or individual players that compete against each other in a specific area. A league have structures and permanent teams that are playing regularly for rankings or places. So, now only LU and 1vs1 are designed for that. As you can see, the purpose of creating a league is totally different than the purpose of any public servers, like mofo, bztank or pielovers.

Cheers,
o.
Zehra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zehra »

[redacted]
Last edited by Zehra on Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
Those who are critical of me, I'll likely be the same of them. ~Zehra
The decisions we make are the ones we look forward too and the ones we regret. ~Zehra
There's a difference between knowing my name and knowing me, one shows respect to my name and the other is to who I am. ~Zehra

See where I've last been active at Strayers.
Visit BZList.net for a modern HTML5 server stats site.

Click here to view the 101 Leaderboard & Score Summaries Last updated 2021-01-12 (YYYY-MM-DD)
Latest 101 thread
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

Leagues United is hardly a league anymore either (by that logic), since most matches are fun matches these days. :P

To me, a healthy league extends from a healthy game, where people want a more competitive outlet. The leagues have declined more slowly than the overall game, but there has still been a decline. Improving the overall appeal of the game should help the league as well.
jh^
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by jh^ »

I suppose it's just time to accept that people who once were active have quit playing or moved to other more "modern" games. I still have fun sometimes playing, mostly at ostas fm servers, they still play duc there. But i would not keep too high hopes for bz in general, it's hard to get new players for a game that old. Too much would have to change in order to make it appealing to masses, and i don't think there's enough resources in bzflag development to do all this.
Zehra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zehra »

jh^ wrote:I suppose it's just time to accept that people who once were active have quit playing or moved to other more "modern" games. I still have fun sometimes playing, mostly at ostas fm servers, they still play duc there. But i would not keep too high hopes for bz in general, it's hard to get new players for a game that old. Too much would have to change in order to make it appealing to masses, and i don't think there's enough resources in bzflag development to do all this.
The game has been updated a good amount yet the content out there has not.
Also if one finds the game based on screenshots, videos....etc it looks a good bit dated.
It would be good to update the media for BZFlag as it should help with gaining players as they're more likely to try it out.

-Zehra
Those who are critical of me, I'll likely be the same of them. ~Zehra
The decisions we make are the ones we look forward too and the ones we regret. ~Zehra
There's a difference between knowing my name and knowing me, one shows respect to my name and the other is to who I am. ~Zehra

See where I've last been active at Strayers.
Visit BZList.net for a modern HTML5 server stats site.

Click here to view the 101 Leaderboard & Score Summaries Last updated 2021-01-12 (YYYY-MM-DD)
Latest 101 thread