Global login fails and no server list

Help with Setup, Hardware, Performance or other Issues...Or just pimp your rig.
crunch_time
Private First Class
Private First Class

Global login fails and no server list

Post by crunch_time »

Admin Note: This was split off another thread that had a different problem.

I'm having the same problem. Just upgraded from Fedora 32 to 33. The server must be reading my user name as it shows it's registered, but it seems be be having a problem with the password. Looks good in the config, and have re-entered it when trying to enter a game. No dice! Also, I don't get a list of available servers.
tainn
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Global login fails and no server list

Post by tainn »

crunch_time wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:53 pm I'm having the same problem. Just upgraded from Fedora 32 to 33. The server must be reading my user name as it shows it's registered, but it seems be be having a problem with the password. Looks good in the config, and have re-entered it when trying to enter a game. No dice! Also, I don't get a list of available servers.
Are you running the game obtained from the official Fedora repository or the Flatpak? The former requires a dnf install while I wrote a step-by-step guide towards getting the latter on Fedora (minor steps might differ if using Gnome or some other desktop env instead of KDE).

Whichever you are running, try the other and please share the results.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

If you're not even getting a server list, then your client is having trouble communicating with our main server. Try accessing the server list in a browser to see if that also fails or is unreliable. https://my.bzflag.org/db/?action=LIST
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

crunch_time
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by crunch_time »

I get the server list with my browser.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Try this from a terminal (since we use libcurl to talk to the server list):

Code: Select all

curl https://my.bzflag.org/db/?action=LIST
If that also works, make sure the game is closed and then try renaming your configuration directory and then running the game again:

Code: Select all

mv ~/.bzf ~/.bzf.bak
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

crunch_time
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by crunch_time »

Thanks for bringing this up as a new topic. Had added this into to the original topic:

I installed v2.4.18 and v2.4.22 from the Fedora Repo(s) using dnfdragora. I already had Flatpak installed, and Discover is now looking for bzflag rpms. One is listed, but it has been 15 mins or more looking for more. I've been having problems with dnf being incredibly slow getting metadata from the repos. Do you know if Flatpak uses dnf?
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Flatpak does not use dnf or RPMs. It a separate software distribution method that works the same across distributions.

crunch_time
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by crunch_time »

K Seems like Discover is having the same problem as dnf. I shut down the instance of Discover that was searching for bzflag, and started it back up. No install button this time, just a remove button even though I don't have anything installed under Flatpak, and it is sitting there fetching updates. Must be some kind of networking issue with Fedora 33.
crunch_time
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by crunch_time »

After a long wait (2-mins), curl returned the server list.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Sounds like you might be having more general networking issues if you're having trouble search for or installing software.

crunch_time
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by crunch_time »

When I finally get a response pinging amazon.com (prob not the best target), it is running about 120ms. I'm heading over to the Fedoraforum to see if they have any ideas.
crunch_time
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by crunch_time »

I'm up and running. Found the solution here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Fedora/comment ... fedora_33/ BZFlag, Flatpak and dnf are all working.
crunch_time
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by crunch_time »

Forgot to thank everyone for their suggestions which helped me narrow down the problem to my network.