BZ on new Apple Silicone M1 chip

Help with Setup, Hardware, Performance or other Issues...Or just pimp your rig.
anorak
Private First Class
Private First Class

BZ on new Apple Silicone M1 chip

Post by anorak »

Data point:

I recently upgraded from an old Mac mini to a new Apple Silicone M1 mini. BZ seems to work just fine, except if I have the Oscillation Overthruster flag. The flag works normally until I try to go through an object on the field, then everything slows down to a crawl. Once I finally clear the object everything is back to normal.
anorak
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: BZ on new Apple Silicone M1 chip

Post by anorak »

I just checked, and having the Phantom Zone flag and going through objects doesn't slow down the game at all.
Pesky_UK
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Pesky_UK »

How's your ping with Mac Silicon and Rosetta?
Find our @bz_flag unofficial group chat on Telegram at https://t.me/bz_flag
anorak
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by anorak »

My ping to servers seems the same as my old mini. No issues there.
anorak
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by anorak »

Actually, I just checked the PZ flag in a match with other players, and I DID have a slow down when going through an object on the field.
TankUp
Private
Private

Post by TankUp »

Same here! And the textures are "blinking". So in one second I see the wall, the next second not, especially in Apocalypse TwentyTwenty.
The more players are in the game the more the game slows down.
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

Sometimes when there is a new generation of GPU in an Apple product, there are driver shortcomings that take some time to resolve. Additionally, Apple has basically declared that OpenGL is end-of-life on macOS, so we should probably not expect them to dedicate much attention to these bugs. Also, I do not believe that any of our active macOS developers have access to an M1 Mac computer at the moment. I'm sure that will change with time, but that is a significant barrier to debugging at the moment. Feel free to start a GoFundMe to get me one... I'll even chip in half the cost myself. :P
RockHu
Private
Private

Post by RockHu »

Hi...I have been to and fro with respect to should I get it or not. At last had a sensible shopping arrangement to look at it and check whether my choice will be affirmed. In the event that I do purchase this however, it probably pushes out my next Mac PC redesign out to around 2025. My next significant buys will be the second era M series iMac in 2022 (I need the greatest screen), then, at that point, iPhone and iPad updates in 2023.
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

A native build for Apple silicon (M1) CPU family Macs has been created. This build resolves all of the known issues with running one of our older builds (for Intel Macs) on an M1 Mac. The build is posted here: https://download.bzflag.org/bzflag/maco ... -arm64.zip. We are not yet signing and notarizing the builds, so you will need to right-click (or ctrl-click) on the application and select "Open" from the contextual menu in order to bypass Gatekeeper for the first launch.