monitor out of scan range when minimizing

Help with Setup, Hardware, Performance or other Issues...Or just pimp your rig.
the_j0k3r
Private First Class
Private First Class

monitor out of scan range when minimizing

Post by the_j0k3r »

hi, i have a problem where sometimes when i alt-tab (yes i'm on windows xp) out of bzflag, my monitor displays a blank screen with the message 'monitor still working - pc out of scan range'.

i've seen this happen on other computers too, with the message varying depending on the monitor.

does using f4 to minimize prevent this problem? and why is it that it only happens sometimes, is it something i am doing wrong? basically i am looking for a way to avoid/prevent this, because i have lost files due to having to restart the computer.

thanks.
blast
General
General

Re: monitor out of scan range when minimizing

Post by blast »

the_j0k3r wrote:hi, i have a problem where sometimes when i alt-tab (yes i'm on windows xp) out of bzflag, my monitor displays a blank screen with the message 'monitor still working - pc out of scan range'.

i've seen this happen on other computers too, with the message varying depending on the monitor.

does using f4 to minimize prevent this problem? and why is it that it only happens sometimes, is it something i am doing wrong? basically i am looking for a way to avoid/prevent this, because i have lost files due to having to restart the computer.

thanks.
I have this problem with my other desktop computer. At one point I was able to tell my nVidia drivers to force 1024x768 to 85Hz refresh rate. (Not sure if the latest drivers still provide this option) The main issue was that my monitor didn't notify my system was modes it supported.

EDIT: Might want to check out this link: http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=4976
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

the_j0k3r
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by the_j0k3r »

thanks for the help, forgive me for my ignorance but how would i go about changing these settings for my computer?
and yeah i probably should have added my graphics card is a geforce fx 5200 (i got my pc 3 years ago, ok? :P)

[edit] whoop dont worry, i found it in dxdiag. thanks for the help.
Last edited by the_j0k3r on Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

the_j0k3r wrote:thanks for the help, forgive me for my ignorance but how would i go about changing these settings for my computer?
and yeah i probably should have added my graphics card is a geforce fx 5200 (i got my pc 3 years ago, ok? :P)
I have the same graphics card. Did you read the link I posted? You might have to use that registry hack to enable the Refresh Rate Override tab in your nVidia control panel.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)