router problem

Help with Setup, Hardware, Performance or other Issues...Or just pimp your rig.
1gunner
Private
Private

router problem

Post by 1gunner » Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:29 am

i have a linksys router. if i start a server through bzflag on my desk top, my laptop can see it but if i try to start a server from command line, i cannot. it does not show up on server list. if i connect directly to cable i can start a server without a problem. tried port forwarding but i could not figure it out. someone said more needs to be done to config router. tried to google problem but no luck. found one port forwarding program but no help. would like to host through router.

thanks 1gunner

biggeruniverse
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by biggeruniverse » Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:16 am

Your server is starting with a local address, and trying to tell the list server that this is the public IP to use, but the router is NATing it, and thus replies are not received. You need -public ...something. Someone help me out with the setting. The router also needs to have stateful connections enabled, and be forwarding the server listen port (5154 by default) to your server.

CannonBallGuy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by CannonBallGuy » Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:46 pm

In your command line - or conf file - add the following three lines:

Code: Select all

-public "My Cool Server"
-publicaddr my.WAN.IP.address:port
-p ####
Find out your WAN IP address at:
http://www.whatsmyip.org/
Set the appropriate port to forward to your computer's LAN IP.
See www.portforward.com.

Merry Christmas!

"Look, if I don't buy booze for the kids, I don't get any incriminating pictures to show to their parents, my business goes down the sink, my girlfriend leaves me and the baby goes on ebay. So help me search..."

"go Play With Toys urself in a dark alley u donkey ******" - Lt-Kirby2007

Longhair
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Longhair » Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:31 pm

I'm not clear from your post: Are you trying to host a game to a group of computers at home, (for example, a 1vs1 w/ your brother/sister) or over the Internet with whoever?

If over the internet, the above advice is necessary, but your post implies that you're trying to set up a LAN. I'd be curious to know why the "Start Server" menu option lets your laptop see the desktop, but not a CLI command. Does start server automagically make a public server? I was under the impression that it didn't.

Here's a question: when you can see the server on your laptop, what address are you seeing? The LAN address, or the WAN address? I ask because most home networks only allow you to see each other's LAN address if the two computers in question are both on the same LAN. I've run across this when my laptop on a wireless connection won't properly connect to my own wireless router, but will connect to my neighbor's unsecured network. Make sure that your laptop is on YOUR network, not your neighbor's. Will save you some hair-pulling :)

I'm guessing from your post that you don't get any errors with your command line startup, and that you simply can't see the server. Is this true?[/code]