Help with Setup, Hardware, Performance or other Issues...Or just pimp your rig.
Wreckage
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Wreckage »

Whenever I try to log in, about 90% of the time the server will reply with "Password rejected, bad token" or something along those lines. I assure you I'm using the right password and user name. I've been playing for years and never had this problem.

Another problem is that when I am playing, suddenly things will go wrong. I can see the other tanks moving around... I can still move around too and shoot, but it's as if I'm not there. I can type a message but it is not displayed and I see no further messages in the chat box.

Anyone had either problems?

Thanks,

Wreckage
lodxcol
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by lodxcol »

The list server was having outages earlier. That's probably why you were getting a bad login token. I don't know about your second issue, though..
slime
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by slime »

Your second problem has happened to me before, a lot actually. Usually I find out my internet is down or something. Basically, it is because you are lagging VERY high. Check your internet connection when this happens. I could, however, be wrong.
Grace F
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Grace F »

Wreckage regarding your first problem the only thing I can think of is you may have a proxy preventing you from IDing within BZFlag. Open this file in Notepad or any other text editor (this is the path for a Windows user, if your not on windows still try and find your config.cfg):

Code: Select all

: 
My Documents\My BZFlag Files\2.0\config.cfg

Go down to this line after opening config.cfg:

#set list http://my.BZFlag.org/db/ 
Now change it to this:

set list http://my.BZFlag.org:81/db/ 
If this is not a Proxy Error this is will do nothing :)

Now, your 2nd problem could just be lag, I've had similar problems.
Wreckage
Private First Class
Private First Class

Hmm

Post by Wreckage »

Thanks all... It may be lag but I do not understand why it has suddenly started this past few weeks and never before. I know I don't have a proxy problem.

--Wreckage--
joevano
General
General

Re: Hmm

Post by joevano »

Wreckage wrote:Thanks all... It may be lag but I do not understand why it has suddenly started this past few weeks and never before. I know I don't have a proxy problem.

--Wreckage--
And you know this because? Your ISP could have thrown one up, or changed the settings on their existing one. There would be no notification to the end user.
NoWell
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by NoWell »

Wreckage wrote:Thanks all... It may be lag but I do not understand why it has suddenly started this past few weeks and never before. I know I don't have a proxy problem.

--Wreckage--
Do you run windows ?
Do you have an actual virus/worm scanner ?
Do you have a way to monitor what traffic is going out to the internet from your machine/network ?

Your report sounds to me like there is something running on your machine/network where you're not aware of .....
Wreckage
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Wreckage »

NoWell wrote:

--Wreckage--
Do you run windows ?
Do you have an actual virus/worm scanner ?
Do you have a way to monitor what traffic is going out to the internet from your machine/network ?

Your report sounds to me like there is something running on your machine/network where you're not aware of .....
No, I use Linux...
And I'm sure I have a way to monitor the traffic but I haven't used it.
NoWell
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by NoWell »

Oh nice :)

So for a short overview on your machine you can use

netstat -tu
to see active connections. To monitor your traffic i suggest

tcpdump (on commandline) or

etherreal (grafical, maybe available with the new name wireshark)

To test your routing in between, still ping is my preferred tool. Do a

ping <name or ip of the server you wand to measure>
and let this run for about 2-3 Minutes (stop it with CTRL+c) it does not harm the server very much. After this you should get a statistic "round trip time" (rtt) which should be equal to the lag you will have on this server, there should be not much difference between the " min/avg/max" values for rtt. Also there will be a percentage value for "package loss". In a perfect environment package loss should be 0%. In real world i would expect 0-2% package loss and any value above shows there is a network problem in between your machine and the server.

Here is a example ping statistic from home to my server, which is quite good for a DSL connection :)

imat@brainbug:~> ping bzflag.disconnected.de
PING bzflag.disconnected.de (80.190.246.149) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from ipx10512.ipxserver.de (80.190.246.149): icmp_seq=1 ttl=51 time=48.3 ms
64 bytes from ipx10512.ipxserver.de (80.190.246.149): icmp_seq=2 ttl=51 time=48.7 ms
64 bytes from ipx10512.ipxserver.de (80.190.246.149): icmp_seq=3 ttl=51 time=48.5 ms
64 bytes from ipx10512.ipxserver.de (80.190.246.149): icmp_seq=98 ttl=51 time=48.0 ms
64 bytes from ipx10512.ipxserver.de (80.190.246.149): icmp_seq=99 ttl=51 time=48.3 ms
64 bytes from ipx10512.ipxserver.de (80.190.246.149): icmp_seq=100 ttl=51 time=48.3 ms
64 bytes from ipx10512.ipxserver.de (80.190.246.149): icmp_seq=101 ttl=51 time=47.8 ms

--- bzflag.disconnected.de ping statistics ---
101 packets transmitted, 101 received, 0% packet loss, time 100151ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 47.724/48.507/49.417/0.418 ms
Spazzy McGee
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Spazzy McGee »

Wreakage
I very much suspect your login problem is your ISP caching port 80.

You just need to tell BZFlag to login in on port 81 instead - your ISP probably doesn't cache port 81.

To do this, do what GraceF stated above.
Grace F wrote:

: 
My Documents\My BZFlag Files\2.0\config.cfg

Go down to this line after opening config.cfg:

#set list http://my.BZFlag.org/db/ 
Now change it to this:

set list http://my.BZFlag.org:81/db/ 
GraceF: However, it's not a proxy thing - many ISPs cache port 80, it being the default http port.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon
Wreckage
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Wreckage »

Thanks, it will take me some time to try all this but I shall. :)
--Wreckage--