setting the sound driver

Help with Setup, Hardware, Performance or other Issues...Or just pimp your rig.
swerver
Private First Class
Private First Class

setting the sound driver

Post by swerver »

I play on both my xp and linux box. On xp there is a driver selected in the audio section. However my Linux install there is no driver listed, and the sound really sucks compared to Xp.

When I try to input the driver my nix box is using it won't accept the entire letters which are snd-hda-intel. The card is identified as ‎Nvidia MCP55 High Definition Audio.

Which is really a Realtek ALC888DD codec chip, Realtek ALC883 codec chip. This is a nforce5 am2 s-series gigabyte board.

Is there a driver I can use t get the performance I am getting in XP for my nix box?

Thanks

swerver....
anomaly
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by anomaly »

Try using 'esd' as the driver and 'hw:0' or plughw:0 or plughw:0,0 as the device. hw:0 works for me on fedora 6. you might try 'alsa' as the driver if esd doesn't work for you. I use 'alsa' driver in bzflag 2.1.x and it works perfectly. but I have to use 'esd' in 2.0.x
swerver
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by swerver »

It's version 2.0 x. Neither of those work and I don't remember the default so now I have no sound at all. lol

Any onther suggestions??

Swerver
anomaly
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by anomaly »

What Linux distro are you using? You need to choose the driver that your desktop is using. And the defaults are blank. You can go to your config file (mine is at /home/<user>/.bzf/2.0/config.cfg) and remove the lines 'set audioDevice hw:0' and 'set audioDriver esd' and that should restore your sound. When something like this happens you can always delete your config file to restore all defaults. You will need to setup BZFlag like you want it again if you delete the entire config file.
If you are running KDE and a sound server for your desktop then BZFlag sound may not work. You would have to disable your sound server.
swerver
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by swerver »

It was working before I changed it, I deleted those lines and started bzflag and it works :)

Thanks for the tip, still wanna get the same quality sound as with XP . Any other ideas?

System sound is great, in fact as good or better than xp with movies and mp3s, it's just a whole different sound with this game in XP.

On this box, (pclinuxos tr4) the driver snd-hda-intel isn't specifically for this card, but it is the best that I can get right now. nforce 5 and the rest of this hw isn't supported as well as I would like ....yet

Hopefully my rma-ed nforce4 will come in soon. BTW do you know of anyone who has gotten lm_sensors to work with nforce-5 am2 board?

I will install it on my slack 11 box and see how she does.

Thanks
_ swerver
Think_Different
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Think_Different »

I myself am having a similar problem. I am using an Asus P5N32-E Sli Plus motherboard and running Ubuntu 64. However, when open bzflag, i get scrachy sound, sounds a little bit like interference or white noise. I have tried changing the device to hw:0 and the drivers to esd and alsa. Nothing seems to work.
anomaly
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by anomaly »

I am not familiar with pclinuxos tr4 or the 64 bit system board. What you need is the name of the sound driver being used by the system. Most linux distros use alsa now, as it is supported by the kernel. I have compiled the latest svn repos of bzflag-2.0.9 and 'alsa' as the driver actually works now, wouldn't a few months ago. Also I have compiled bzflag with SDL, which is the default. So SDL sound support is what I am using. I'm assuming that your sound works ok otherwise?
It might help if we know the sound driver your linux distro is using. Ubuntu should be using alsa. With Ubuntu 64, what are the audio driver and device set to in bzflag?
swerver
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by swerver »

bzflag is using the alsa driver. Only thing is that the sound effects are much better with xp. Like I said before it's only with this game, movies and mp3s sound is great. Funny as the gfx are better with on Linux:)

Swerver
anomaly
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by anomaly »

If alsa does not have a driver for your audio chipset you might not get the sound you would like. You can try /sbin/lspci to see what the chipset really is. Have you looked at www.alsa-project.org ? This link has info on your chipset http://bugtrack.alsa-project.org/main/i ... dor-Nvidia, look at details, assuming it is an nVidia.
swerver
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by swerver »

The bugtrack link shows a blank page. Also /sbin/lspci won't work with pclos/mandravia it's lspcidrake. :wink:

Here is the output of that command.
]$ lspcidrake
unknown : nVidia Corp.|C51 Host Bridge [MEMORY_RAM]
unknown : nVidia Corp.|C51 Memory Controller 0 [MEMORY_RAM]
unknown : nVidia Corp.|C51 Memory Controller 1 [MEMORY_RAM]
unknown : nVidia Corp.|C51 Memory Controller 5 [MEMORY_RAM]
unknown : nVidia Corp.|C51 Memory Controller 4 [MEMORY_RAM]
unknown : nVidia Corp.|C51 Host Bridge [MEMORY_RAM]
unknown : nVidia Corp.|C51 Memory Controller 3 [MEMORY_RAM]
unknown : nVidia Corp.|C51 Memory Controller 2 [MEMORY_RAM]
unknown : nVidia Corp.|C51 PCI Express Bridge [BRIDGE_PCI]
unknown : nVidia Corp.|MCP55 Memory Controller [MEMORY_RAM]
unknown : nVidia Corp.|MCP55 LPC Bridge [BRIDGE_ISA]
i2c-nforce2 : nVidia Corp.|MCP55 SMBus [SERIAL_SMBUS]
unknown : nVidia Corp.|MCP55 Memory Controller [MEMORY_RAM]
usb-ohci : nVidia Corp.|MCP55 USB Controller [SERIAL_USB]
ehci-hcd : nVidia Corp.|MCP55 USB Controller [SERIAL_USB]
amd74xx : nVidia Corp.|MCP55 Serial ATA Controller [STORAGE_IDE]
sata_nv : nVidia Corp.|MCP55 SATA Controller [STORAGE_IDE]
unknown : nVidia Corporation|MCP55 PCI bridge [BRIDGE_PCI]
snd-hda-intel : nVidia Corp.|MCP55 High Definition Audio
forcedeth : nVidia Corp.|MCP55 Ethernet [BRIDGE_OTHER]
forcedeth : nVidia Corp.|MCP55 Ethernet [BRIDGE_OTHER]
unknown : nVidia Corporation|MCP55 PCI Express bridge [BRIDGE_PCI]
unknown : Advanced Micro Devices|K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] HyperTransport Technology Configuration [BRIDGE_HOST]
unknown : Advanced Micro Devices|K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Address Map [BRIDGE_HOST]
unknown : Advanced Micro Devices|K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] DRAM Controller [BRIDGE_HOST]
amd64-agp : Advanced Micro Devices|K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Miscellaneous Control [BRIDGE_HOST]
Card:NVIDIA GeForce 7 Series: nVidia Corp.|GeForce 7600 GT [DISPLAY_VGA]
ohci1394 : Texas Instruments|TSB43AB23 IEEE-1394 Controller (PHY/Link) 1394a-2000 [SERIAL_FIREWIRE]
ahci : JMicron Technologies, Inc.|JMicron 20360/20363 AHCI Controller
ahci : JMicron Technologies, Inc.|JMicron 20360/20363 AHCI Controller [STORAGE_IDE]
hub : Linux 2.6.18.8.tex4.a64 ehci_hcd|EHCI Host Controller [Hub|Unused]
hub : Linux 2.6.18.8.tex4.a64 ohci_hcd|OHCI Host Controller [Hub|Unused]
usbhid : |USB Keyboard [Human Interface Devices|Boot Interface Subclass|Keyboard]
unknown : HP|Deskjet F300 series

The 1.0.4.14rc4 is in our testing repo now, but I haven't tried it. I will wait till it's released. It's just this game that I have an issue with.

Thanks for your time :)

Swerver