Blurry Tanks on a TFT Screen

Help with Setup, Hardware, Performance or other Issues...Or just pimp your rig.
Waistless
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Waistless »

Have you made sure that in the monitor resolution in BZFlag settings, the actual SCREEN refresh rate is set to 60hertz (i.e 1900x1200 @ 60hz) and not 72hz, as an experiment I tried setting my LCD to that rate and I did notice some blur in BZ, but i'm thinking it would be more apparent in a large res monitor like yours.

It's similar to what other people are saying about the refresh rate, but they're talking about from the video card, i'm talking about the LCD display itself.
Could this tank perhaps go a little bit faster, so it's not being overtaken by stationary objects.
"Words in parentheses can (not) be ignored." -Unknown
Macrosoft
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Macrosoft »

i havent had any problems on my vg1930wm in 1024x768 @ 60 Hz
gazz: A bullet may have your name on it, but shrapnel is addressed "to whom it may concern".
http://bash.org/?785529
The Red Baron
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by The Red Baron »

lethalmix:

That is a wide screen resolution. The horizontal spawn being larger then the vertical spawn.

Experiment with resolutions - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_display_standard
Beware! I'm going to clone myself and spread those clones all over the world!
TD-Linux
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by TD-Linux »

The Red Baron wrote:lethalmix:

That is a wide screen resolution. The horizontal spawn being larger then the vertical spawn.
They are not. When running at a widescreen resolution, BZFlag behaves perfectly fine - it is not distorted at all. That said, a bit of the view is cut off at the top and bottom.

A lot of really high-resolution displays have blurriness problems. Have you tried any games that have as fast motion as BZFlag does?

EDIT: Oh, forgot to add, is this motion blur, or does the blur still appear to some degree when the tank is still? Does this happen more often on 1.x or 2.x maps?
The Red Baron
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by The Red Baron »

TD-Linux wrote:
The Red Baron wrote:lethalmix:

They are not. When running at a widescreen resolution, BZFlag behaves perfectly fine - it is not distorted at all. That said, a bit of the view is cut off at the top and bottom.

A lot of really high-resolution displays have blurriness problems. Have you tried any games that have as fast motion as BZFlag does?

EDIT: Oh, forgot to add, is this motion blur, or does the blur still appear to some degree when the tank is still? Does this happen more often on 1.x or 2.x maps?
um, his resolution is 1920x1200 - wiki disagrees with you, its a widescreen resolution. WUXGA - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WUXGA
Beware! I'm going to clone myself and spread those clones all over the world!
dango
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dango »

The Red Baron
BZFlag behaves perfectly fine - it is not distorted at all. That said, a bit of the view is cut off at the top and bottom.
TD was saying that wide screen does not distort the image.
peewee
Private First Class
Private First Class

Same Problem with my box

Post by peewee »

Another Data Point. Samsung 245BM LCd fed by a 6600GT at 1900x1200 res. Core processor is an Athlon64 X2 3800+

I'll fiddle with other resolutions. Perhaps giving the machine fewer pixels to think about or turing off some of the advanced rendering options will work. I've played the game int he past on a very basic display. I suppose I could turn off a lot of the eye candy in the name of performance.

I was hoping that faster card would solve the problem but seeing the number 8800 in the thread would seem to rule that out.
deviltank
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by deviltank »

ive had big problems with blurryness with my hannsG HX 191 D too.

The following changes made is still a bit blurry but playable.

-native resolution
-dual dvi cable
-75 Hz
-always latest update for GPU driver
-vsync on
-SP3 (RC) for XP works well!

i guess the blurryness which i still see is common for LCD/TFT, as its the same effect when i put a window very fast from one place on the desktop to another.

So although i have all the things which are buggy with bz flag (windows/dualcore, wireless LAN, LCD), all in all, its playable.

dt