OK, one last thing

Help with Setup, Hardware, Performance or other Issues...Or just pimp your rig.
Macrosoft
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Macrosoft »

i dont know if you still have it running but its not on the list.

also, before you start the server, use task manager (ctrl + alt + del) and switch to "processes" tab. look through and make sure there arent any copies of bzfs or bzfs.exe running already (sometimes it stays running even if you close the window you used to start it)
gazz: A bullet may have your name on it, but shrapnel is addressed "to whom it may concern".
http://bash.org/?785529
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Use the task manager to kill any instance of bzfs.exe
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Evanejk
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Evanejk »

I con't join it, it isn't there!
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

OK, but did you do what blast told you to do? We can't help you if you don't follow instructions and report back that you followed them, and what errors if any you received or at least the outcome of what you did do.

"I con't join it, it isn't there!" doesn't prove anything, you just may have it configured wrong or you may be trying to join the wrong address. Hit "ctrl-alt-delete" and open 'Task Manager'. Do you see bzfs.exe on the processes tab, if so highlight it and click on 'End Process'. Then try and restart your BZFlag server.

AND then report back your DETAILED results here. So we can help you trouble shoot... there are many things that this could be.
Last edited by joevano on Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Evanejk
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Evanejk »

I was replying to Constitution I should of put what he said in quotes.
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

Evanejk wrote:I was replying to Constitution I should of put what he said in quotes.
If your computer said that a server was already running when you tried to start another, then most likely it was there (perhaps just not on the global list). Have you tried to join up to it locally? Try connecting to 127.0.0.1:5154 in the client, and if that works, try connecting to 76.179.57.83:5154 (assuming that's still the correct IP address).
CannonBallGuy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by CannonBallGuy »

Always connect to a server hosted locally by local IP - whether it is global or not.
It should work both ways but some routers don't like you connecting to it via your external IP (when an internal one will do).

Merry Christmas!

"Look, if I don't buy booze for the kids, I don't get any incriminating pictures to show to their parents, my business goes down the sink, my girlfriend leaves me and the baby goes on ebay. So help me search..."

"go Play With Toys urself in a dark alley u donkey ******" - Lt-Kirby2007
Evanejk
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Evanejk »

Can someone make a video tutorial on how to start a server locally?
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

Evanejk wrote:Can someone make a video tutorial on how to start a server locally?
Rather, click the "Chat Room" tab up on the links bar to log onto the #bzflag IRC channel, and ask some of the people who hang out there to help you through it. Probably you're running into a very specific problem that someone has the solution for.
Evanejk
Private First Class
Private First Class

no chat

Post by Evanejk »

cant join chat room

An error occurred: Connection to unix-domain socket(/tmp/cgiirc-djjvnr2lgz4sl/sock): No such file or directory
macsforme
General
General

Re: no chat

Post by macsforme »

Evanejk wrote:cant join chat room

An error occurred: Connection to unix-domain socket(/tmp/cgiirc-djjvnr2lgz4sl/sock): No such file or directory
Then download GAIM (or whatever it's called now.. Pidigin, I guess: http://sourceforge.net/projects/pidgin/), and join #bzflag on the Freenode IRC network.
Grace F
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Grace F »

I can't see how your having soo many problems :P

Tell us Step by Step what you are doing. Unless you've already sorted it out via IRC.

At the moment we're all just thowing random suggestions out there.
Tedius
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by Tedius »

Evanejk,
So far you have broken the following written/unwritten rules:
1. You have continued this thread in 5 places, spanning two separate forums. I hope you will stay on this one from now on.
2. There are multiple instances of advice that we have given you that you have not followed. This is irritating to those who have generously tried to help. We feel like we are wasting our time.
3. You have PM'ed me with a desperate message (I hope you didn't pm others too) and it seems that you have ignored the reply. A simple thanks would have been appropriate.
4. It is becoming clear that instead of doing the research yourself, you wait for someone to spoonfeed the answers to you.

We have given you a lot of advice, resources, and patience. Read through your 5 threads again carefully. The answers are all there. No one is going to make a video tutorial for you.

My last advice:
Google for: "Setting up a server", "Port forwarding", "BZFS","IRC help", "forum etiquette"

That should give you more than enough information to achieve what you want to do.
this signature intentionally left blank