Installed Vista - lag too high now????

Help with Setup, Hardware, Performance or other Issues...Or just pimp your rig.
maslan123
Private
Private

Installed Vista - lag too high now????

Post by maslan123 »

Was running fine on pc - installed Vista Business update - now super slow performance and server says lag too high. Never had issue before update. PC is newest one from dell (Dual Core, 4gig Ram, Nvidia GForce 7900 Graphics card, etc...) so it is not a slow machine.

Suggestions??
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

New NVidia video drivers, that is where I would start...

http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp

The included Vista video drivers are not that good (not that the manufacturers are much better, at this point).
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
maslan123
Private
Private

Post by maslan123 »

just did the driver update - it did help somewhat - no warnings from server now. however - perofrmance is still way slow and jumpy compared to what it was with XP Pro. Any other suggestions??
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

I had a similar issue, but am not remembering what it ended up being.

After a little searching I found it again. Run the following in a command prompt 'netsh interface tcp set global autotuning=disabled' . Here is a blog on it: http://www.technoblogo.com/2007/02/12/W ... ssues.aspx
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
Think_Different
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Think_Different »

Oh, and by the way, I hope you're running a 64bit version of vista, because I dont think it can address more than 3.5ishGB of RAM in the 32bit version.
Winny
Grouchy
Grouchy

Post by Winny »

Think_Different wrote:Oh, and by the way, I hope you're running a 64bit version of vista, because I dont think it can address more than 3.5ishGB of RAM in the 32bit version.
The limit is 4gig total system memory (RAM + Video RAM + whatever else...)
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

Think_Different wrote:Oh, and by the way, I hope you're running a 64bit version of vista, because I dont think it can address more than 3.5ishGB of RAM in the 32bit version.
I thought Vista was 64-bit all the way through, no?
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

Constitution wrote:
I thought Vista was 64-bit all the way through, no?
No, there are two versions of Vista, 32-bit and 64-bit. They are slightly different from each other (feature-wise) and require different drivers. You can but the 32-bit in stores and if you want the 64-bit, you need to request Microsoft to send you the 64-bit media. The software product key works on both the 32-bit and 64-bit and only one copy can be installed (one or the other).
StuntMan0404
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by StuntMan0404 »

k, i ran the command prompt and it came up with,

"Set global command failed on IPv4 The requested operation requires elevation."

what does that mean, because it doesn't sound good :shock:
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Probably have to run the command prompt as administrator.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

StuntMan0404
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by StuntMan0404 »

o, i get it now. i thought it ran as an admin already because i was logged in as one, but i had to right click and hit the run as administrator thing. thanks guys :D
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

Yeah, with Vista nothing actually runs with administrative privileges interactively unless you expressly tell it to (or modify the default settings). That is generally the first thing I look at as being the culprit (on Vista) when running things and they don't behave as expected.