Jumpy Display

Help with Setup, Hardware, Performance or other Issues...Or just pimp your rig.
slime
Private First Class
Private First Class

Jumpy Display

Post by slime »

I just got a new laptop, and one of the main differences I've noticed while playing bzflag is that the screen is really jumpy/jittery.

I have an HP running Windows Vista Home Premium
Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T7500 @ 2.20GHz
2.00 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GS

All the components are excellent, so I just don't understand why the screen is jittery.

For a little more understanding, it jitts about once every few seconds, just enough to make it painfully annoying and hard to shoot a good 3-shot with my scroll wheel :lol-old:

Slime

BTW I am not a computer expert, I know next to nothing about computers compared to the majority of bz players out there, so you may have a

--EDIT SOLUTION FOUND----

I went to the NVIDIA Control Panel, and checked out the 3D Visual Settings. Apparently the default setting is set to quality, which lowers FPS, but increases the quality (such as curved lines are smooth). I switched this to Performance, which increases FPS and lowers quality (such as curved lines are more jagged).

My FPS on bzflag went from 58 to 250-400. Talk about an improvement!
levsmith
Private
Private

size

Post by levsmith »

hey i have the same problem. what is the size of the screen on your laptop? Mine is 15.4". Also what is the resolution cause mine is 1280x800. My sister got a laptop and her screen size is 14.1" and 1200x800 resolution and hers is perfect. I think that may be the reason but i dont know how to fix it. my sister has the exact same ram and video memory so i think it must be the size and resolution. sorry i dont know how to fix it just thought i would tell what i think the reason is
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

Have you loaded the latest drivers from NVidia? The video drivers for vista are changing every few weeks as the manufacturers make them better. You can get the latest and greatest here:
http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
slime
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by slime »

donny_baker wrote:Have you loaded the latest drivers from NVidia? The video drivers for vista are changing every few weeks as the manufacturers make them better. You can get the latest and greatest here:
http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp
Funnily enough, it won't let me install new drivers. I get the error message:

The NVIDIA Setup program could not locate any drivers that are compatible with your current hardware. Setup will now exit.

Any ideas why that may be coming up?
slime
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: size

Post by slime »

levsmith wrote:hey i have the same problem. what is the size of the screen on your laptop? Mine is 15.4". Also what is the resolution cause mine is 1280x800. My sister got a laptop and her screen size is 14.1" and 1200x800 resolution and hers is perfect. I think that may be the reason but i dont know how to fix it. my sister has the exact same ram and video memory so i think it must be the size and resolution. sorry i dont know how to fix it just thought i would tell what i think the reason is
Mine is 17", with screen resolution at 1680 by 1050
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
slime
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by slime »

Yes, that is the one I attempted to download.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Check with your laptop manufacturer to see if they have a newer driver than you currently have. They much have a customized GPU that doesn't work with the official drivers.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

TheLeafTalker
Private
Private

Post by TheLeafTalker »

He is using an HP laptop.. HP for some odd and stupid reason Requires you to download the drivers from there site! I have the latest version they have and it is jumpy on the lowest quality.