sky is flashing different colors, the ground is not affected

Help with Setup, Hardware, Performance or other Issues...Or just pimp your rig.
Tankie
Private First Class
Private First Class

sky is flashing different colors, the ground is not affected

Post by Tankie »

When I play the sky will sometimes flash like a strobe light different colors *red/purple/yellow/green and it makes playing to game so distracting it's almost impossible to play. The ground and anything below the "horizon" is fine.

I'm running windows Vista and have an ATI X800XL AGP card and DirectX 10.
I have tried all my video card settings and in-game settings and nothing seems to help.

Is anyone aware of what the problem is?
Does bzflag have problems on Windows Vista x86?
Grace F
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Grace F »

I don't know much about comps but I'm guessing it's something to do with Vista. I've never heard of this problem before.

Sorry I can't help more.
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

I am well aquainted with this problem on my Vista machine. It is a driver issue. Basically the ATI drivers suck. It appears to happen when the number of objects on the screen rises above some magical (unknown) number. It has gotten better with newer driver releases, but it is not gone yet. I have reported it to ATI as a problem, but I doubt it has prompted anything on their part.
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

The new Catalyst 7.9 drivers seem to have eliminated this problem for me, at least in my initial game play with them.
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln