Display Settings beyond the menu possible?

Help with Setup, Hardware, Performance or other Issues...Or just pimp your rig.
Mac Rep
Private First Class
Private First Class

Display Settings beyond the menu possible?

Post by Mac Rep »

Hi! I just installed Ubuntu on my Amilo Powerbook and finally got it to support at least a bit of 3D, Unfortunately texturing is indiscussable. It's simply too slow.

I experimented a bit with all the other settings, but sometimes couldn't see a big difference or couldn't notice a speed improvemend or degradation.

Unfortunately everything looks a bit ugly. A bit 1994 or so ;-)

My question: Is there anything I can do to change for example the color of the walls or something I can do to enhance the appearance of the tanks a bit? Currently it's sometimes impossible to see the direction a tank looks in because of the poor display.

Any hint is much appreciated.
Longhair
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Longhair »

You can change the texture images to your heart's content. All you have to do is replace the given texture file with a new file of the same name. I did this with the purple tanks, because I'd confuse them with rogues on radarless maps. Basically, I opened the image in the GIMP, and made the purple a more intense color. This works for walls and grass too.

If you installed from the package manager, the files are in /usr/share/bzflag/ If you compiled it bzflag yourself, it's in /usr/local/share/bzflag/ (this might be different depending upon your distribution)

One gotcha that you will encounter is that the images will most likely be written over when you update bzflag. Keep a copy of each texture that you change in your /home directory and copy the files over after each update.
Mac Rep
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Mac Rep »

Sorry... No... because (cite myself) "texturing is indiscussable. It's simply too slow." Thanks nevertheless...
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

the geometry and base graphics are hard coded, there is no way to change anything other then the images used during texturing, not with out modifying the source code.

It just sounds like your laptop is really old, and isn't up to speed for playing 3d games.
ImageJeffM
Mac Rep
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Mac Rep »

JeffM wrote:It just sounds like your laptop is really old, and isn't up to speed for playing 3d games.
That might well be. I just like to change the colors used. Not the models themselves. Are the colors hardcoded too?
<hr>
Mac Rep is a Raga Man
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

yes they are.
ImageJeffM
Think_Different
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Think_Different »

Have you tried installing the drivers for your graphics card? If the laptop isn't really that old, there should be at least some drivers, and nVidia and ATI both have graphics drivers for Linux. They may be proprietary, but they tend to work.
Mac Rep
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Mac Rep »

Think_Different wrote:Have you tried installing the drivers for your graphics card?
Sources on the net say, there is no driver and since the laptop is no longer produced (eol 2004) there won't be.
<hr>
Mac Rep is a Raga Man
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Mac Rep wrote:
Think_Different wrote:Have you tried installing the drivers for your graphics card?
Sources on the net say, there is no driver and since the laptop is no longer produced (eol 2004) there won't be.
What video chipset is this?
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Mac Rep
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Mac Rep »

blast wrote:What video chipset is this?
The system says "ATI Technologies Inc Radeon Mobility U1" but I found sources telling me it's a "IGP 320M"
<hr>
Mac Rep is a Raga Man
Mac Rep
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Mac Rep »

configure still says

Code: Select all

checking for SDL_image library... no
configure: WARNING: Client build has been requested, but GL is not fully available (missing gl.h)
     ... disabling client generation
but looking into /usr/include/GL reveals a gl.h

What am I missing here?
<hr>
Mac Rep is a Raga Man
Think_Different
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Think_Different »

I've found a driver for your chipset, but it's a windows binary. You can find it Here. I haven't found any linux drivers yet.