Setup for iMac

Help with Setup, Hardware, Performance or other Issues...Or just pimp your rig.
a blue tank
Private First Class
Private First Class

Setup for iMac

Post by a blue tank »

My bro - a new iMac (Leopard) user - is having touble app-switching between bzflag and, say, Skype. He's used to using Windows, where Alt-Tab would do this. He can't find the iMac equivalent. And he can't work out how to add a -window switch to the bzflag entry in his application menu. I can't help him either, since as a Windows and Linux user, I don't know where stuff is on the iMac (and I'm in a different country). I tried writing a bash script to start bzflag in a window for him, but then he couldn't make the damn thing executable, so that was a waste of time.

So, iMac users: Setup advice please. (And make it idiot proof please!)

Edited: s/Mac/iMac/
Tedius
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by Tedius »

There is no app-switching when BZ is in Full Screen Mode. To get out of Full Screen press F1, and then hit Command(apple)-Tab.

Of course you can also hit F9, F10, and F11, for cooler ways to switch programs.

As for creating an executable, your bash script should probably work just as in Linux, Terminal is in the Utililties Folder, type sudo chmod 777 <yourfile>

If someone has a cool way of making the .app file open automatically in a sized window, I'd love to hear it.
this signature intentionally left blank
that exploding tank
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by that exploding tank »

Even in windowed mode (F1), though, you still can't move your mouse out of the bzflag window, making app-switching impossible. I don't know about F9-11, though.
Jefenry
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Jefenry »

that exploding tank wrote:Even in windowed mode (F1), though, you still can't move your mouse out of the bzflag window, making app-switching impossible. I don't know about F9-11, though.
To fix that, go to Options->Input Settings->Confine Mouse->No.
Ralph
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Ralph »

Another iMac question: How do you lock on GM when you've only got one button on your mouse?
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Ralph wrote:Another iMac question: How do you lock on GM when you've only got one button on your mouse?
Use the keyboard equivalent. I believe the default is 'i'. This can be configured in the key mapping.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Tedius
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by Tedius »

Ralph wrote:only got one button on your mouse?
There only *appears* to be one mouse button. Go to Applications>System Preferences>Keyboard and Mouse.

You'll find that there are more things your mouse can do than you've ever imagined possible.

Edit: Also, even while you have mouse confined in the window, you should be able to Command-tab to different programs.
Last edited by Tedius on Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
this signature intentionally left blank
F687/s
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by F687/s »

> You'll find that there are more things your mouse can do than you've ever imagined possible.

Unless you've got a hockey puck.
snick
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by snick »

that exploding tank wrote:Even in windowed mode (F1), though, you still can't move your mouse out of the bzflag window, making app-switching impossible.
Command+Tab will work in windowed mode
even if the cursor is confined.

Cheers,

Snick.
snick
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Setup for iMac

Post by snick »

a blue tank wrote: And he can't work out how to add a -window switch to the bzflag entry in his application menu. I can't help him either, since as a Windows and Linux user, I don't know where stuff is on the iMac (and I'm in a different country). I tried writing a bash script to start bzflag in a window for him, but then he couldn't make the damn thing executable, so that was a waste of time.
There are several ways of going about this. Here's one:

[1] Run "Script Editor". It should open with a two-paned view.

[2] In the upper pane type this single line:

do shell script "/Applications/BZFlag.app/Contents/MacOS/bzflag -window"

If BZFlag isn't in "/Applications", you'll need to specify a different
start to the path. Do not omit the quotation marks!

[3] Select "File->Save As..." from the Script Editor menu and
save the script. Be sure to select the "Application bundle"
file format and untick "Startup Screen".

You should now have a clickable app that will start up BZFlag
in windowed mode.

Cheers,

Snick.
a blue tank
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by a blue tank »

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.
Evanejk
Private First Class
Private First Class

wow

Post by Evanejk »

to use the same shift+f1, f2, f3... functions on mac use fn+shift+f1, f2, f3... to lock on use apple click. fn+f1 makes the window small