Everyone Going NR?

Help with Setup, Hardware, Performance or other Issues...Or just pimp your rig.
OPTIMUSprime
Private First Class
Private First Class

Everyone Going NR?

Post by OPTIMUSprime »

This has started to happen for about 1-2 weeks now. It happens on nearlly every map. Itssss Fustrating! Plzz Help
silver surfer
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by silver surfer »

It means not reseaving...meaning that something is wrong with your computer... the server your on... or the other persons computer
A Meteorite
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Meteorite »

silver surfer wrote:It means not reseaving...meaning that something is wrong with your computer... the server your on... or the other persons computer
I assume you mean "receiving." If so, not at all. Please don't post on issues that you are not sure about.

This problem has already been discussed and others have this same problem. This person here seems to have well researched the problem and made an informative conclusion (although I have not personally verified it nor has a dev verified it): http://my.bzflag.org/bb/viewtopic.php?p=119276#119276
sp unit 262 wrote:I just realized what the exact problem and the solution to it is.

BZFlag use two protocols to communicate between the client and the sever, TCP and UDP.
The wiki entry on the Network Protocol is out dated but the basic should be the same. You should read the "Client/Server Communication" and " Client/Client Communication".
http://my.bzflag.org/w/Network_Protocol

The problem is that router only forward packet from a server if a computer inside the network has sent a packet recently. I believe what is happening is that the UDP connection is being cut because the client doesn't send packets over the UDP connection unless the tank deviates from what DR would suggest (and if your dead or an observer there is no tank). The reason the TCP connection doesn't get cut is because you have tell the sever that the packet has been received (by sending a packet).

The solution is to have the client send a keep-alive packet ever minute or so if it hasn't sent any data in the past minute.
By the way, I too, had this problem on my D-Link router (which seems to cause others trouble as well). I can not recall if my homemade pfSense router has this problem, but in either case it is definitely not a problem with your computer or the server.
Owner @ BZFX
Core Admin @ CAN

Email me: bzmet…@gmail.com
ducktape
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducktape »

Are you talking about When in Observer or playing? I know A Meteorite probably already fixed your problem but i would just like to know.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

NR means "Not Responding".
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Sky King
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Sky King »

I want to make sure too that we're not mixing apples and oranges here...

I have noticed on several servers over the past week where I see everyone as [nr]... and when I leave and rejoin the server, it turns out that 2/3 of all the players got booted. My point being that the [nr] issue may not be on your end at all.

Interestingly, each time it has happened, the following have been true:
1. A reasonable number of people, usually about one third, seem to survive the hiccup just fine; and
2. It affects different players differently. For some, the BZ client closed, for others, they just see everyone as [nr], and for others, the client freezes. It happened last night on missile wars, and we tried to determine if there was any OS or client version correlation to how each person was affected, but no pattern was found.
Retired Army--Proud to have served
Armored Cavalry Crewman, 1981-1984 (M60A5)
Infantry Officer & Paratrooper, 1984-1986
US Army Ranger & Sniper, 1986-1989 (LRSD)

Water Cooled 8-Core Ryzen 7 2700x @ 3.7GHz | Radeon RX590 GPU | 43" 4K Monitor
ducktape
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducktape »

blast wrote:NR means "Not Responding".
Oh sorry I didnt specify, I meant Is everyone go NR while you are playing or when you are in observer?
too much loving
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by too much loving »

It is possible that your internet connection is unstable and that you temporarily lose connection to the internet. (I have this problem at home)

Next time everyone goes [NR], try to exit bzflag and open a random webpage in a internet explorer. If internet explorer complaints that it cannot access the webpage, then your internet connection is probably unstable.
ZGMF-X20A Strike Freedom
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ZGMF-X20A Strike Freedom »

i get nr when either the server goes down or my internet goes. Sometimes though i have had the problem occour only with certain other players and i assume its to do with their internet.

Hope that helped.
OPTIMUSprime
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by OPTIMUSprime »

I Pretty Sure i Fixed it. It has to do with your Router Network. As soon As i Unplugged My Router and Directed straight from Modem to Computer My InternetEx. Starts working, Bz starts Working Fine.

Contact Your IP if you still have problems.
Teppic
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Teppic »

too much loving wrote:It is possible that your internet connection is unstable and that you temporarily lose connection to the internet. (I have this problem at home)
I get this with my modem too, treat it as an invitation to get really close to that annoying camper, then wait for the connection to re-establish :P
OPTIMUSprime
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by OPTIMUSprime »

The Connection Re-Establishes? lol. I Haven't put up with Going "NR" long enough to Relise is Re-Connects
Wreckage
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Wreckage »

On the occasion that happens to me, it usually does re-establish within 20 seconds. Only a couple times it does not.
Wabbits With A Laptop
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Everyone Going NR?

Post by Wabbits With A Laptop »

I keep on getting kicked out of every server because everyone becomes NR once I spawn.Any ways to fix that problem??????
OPTIMUSprime
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by OPTIMUSprime »

wabbitswithalaptop Are you running Off a Router Network?
Wabbits With A Laptop
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Wabbits With A Laptop »

OPTIMUSprime, what do you mean?
anomaly
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by anomaly »

One reason this could be a router issue for you is that TCP is a connection based protocol and UDP is not. As long as there is a TCP connection (you are connected to the bzflag server) the router will keep the port open for TCP. But UDP will require packets to be somewhat continuous to keep the connection "alive". If you don't move or fire for awhile its possible that the port closing for UDP traffic on your router's firewall. After some seconds it may re-open the port for UDP and NR's will start responding again. This is essentually what sp unit 262 was saying. TCP will wait for a response to complete a transaction, but UDP doesn't require any response.

You may be able to search the forums or the modem/router manufacturer's web site for info.
OPTIMUSprime
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by OPTIMUSprime »

Do Youhave a Router thatYou connected to, instead of just straight from modem to computer?