low fps

Help with Setup, Hardware, Performance or other Issues...Or just pimp your rig.
Yodaddy
Private First Class
Private First Class

low fps

Post by Yodaddy »

I'm having problems with the fps being too low at some sites (less than 10) and just right at others (over 30). I have recently updated my OS from '98 to XP. I believe I have the latest updates on the driver (Radeon 9600 series). All the sites seemed to work OK with '98 but not with XP....Am I missing something? I adjusted all DUI settings to improve performance but it only made a minor difference. I'd like to play all the sites.
A Meteorite
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Meteorite »

Some maps are more graphically intensive than others. For instance, many Louman maps will kill my card, while other, simpler maps, has FPS out the roof.

If your graphics driver is indeed the latest, that's the only for-sure thing I can point to.

It's interesting that it was faster in 98 for you. Are you sure you are comparing the same maps? If so, it could be that XP is not as "efficient" (which, personally, doesn't seem right to me, but it could be).
Owner @ BZFX
Core Admin @ CAN

Email me: bzmet…@gmail.com
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Verify that you have the latest Catalyst drivers (Catalyst Software Suite). They had a new version released on December 20th.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Yodaddy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Low FPS

Post by Yodaddy »

I already have the latest Catalyst driver. I'm still getting a few sites with less than 10 fps....URBAN JUNGLE comes in with less than 5 fps.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

What does your "OpenGL Driver" list when you first start up the client? Also, verify that you are running in either 32 bit or 16 bit graphics mode. If you are running in 24 bit or 8 bit, you might not be getting hardware acceleration.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Yodaddy
Private First Class
Private First Class

low fps

Post by Yodaddy »

Can you give me a step by step list of what I should check? I'm not very good with all the PC terminology.
ducatiwannabe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducatiwannabe »

Part of your problem could be the Urban Jungle map. My computer runs some LouMan maps even better than the particular map you've listed. This is probably because of overlappings of boxes and teleporters and such. I know that's not too helpful, but that map has a few lag problems despite the great fun it provides.