Wireless :( Help..

Help with Setup, Hardware, Performance or other Issues...Or just pimp your rig.
OPTIMUSprime
Private First Class
Private First Class

Wireless :( Help..

Post by OPTIMUSprime »

God! I just connected to a new plan. Its wireless internet Supposed to run at 512/64 But is running at 300-400/50+. This is faster than I used to play BZflag on (256/64). BUT now i lag higher? how is this possible? I run speedtests to see if my speed is faster than it was before and it is.. But now when i go on lets say MissleWar im lagging at 340+ and jitt @ 10+. Before i was lagging at 270 & jitt 2-5.

Faster internet but more Lag?
z[h]ero
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by z[h]ero »

Internet speed isn't tied in with lag.
(So a high speed connection could be much more laggy than a low speed connection)

But try to connect to your wireless router via cable. This could help.
Wirth's law: "Software is getting slower more rapidly than hardware becomes faster."
OPTIMUSprime
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by OPTIMUSprime »

Its not router connected. Its just standalone modem. Ive connected it straight to computer via ethernet cable. stil hav problems
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Avatar »

z[h]ero - he's talking about an internet connection that's purely wireless from home to provider, not an internet connection that uses wireless to connect the computer to a wired connection (that is what you're talking about, right?).

Wireless Internet connections are notoriously laggy. Their high bitrate is good for people that use their net connections for web browsing or one-way streaming, but the high overhead of processing the wireless signals at the server center makes it bad for anything that requires real-time bidirectional communications (such as gaming). In fact, the only thing worse is Satellite Internet, which has to bounce a signal across an orbiting satellite at least once in each direction, making for a minimum lag of at least 200 - 400 ms just for that leg of the connection.

Unfortuntely, if you want to keep the additional speed that your wireless plan gives you, you're just going to have to suck up and accept the high lag until wireless processing technologies improve.
And the lesson for tonight is:

Never underestimate the ability of a newb to expect instant success and cry "cheat!" when they don't get it. Don't hate the newb, just give them plenty of learning opportunities. ;)
z[h]ero
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by z[h]ero »

Avatar wrote:z[h]ero - he's talking about an internet connection that's purely wireless from home to provider, not an internet connection that uses wireless to connect the computer to a wired connection (that is what you're talking about, right?).
Oh, right, ty. Now his answer makes sence to me.

Btw, Optimus, now i noticed that you are from Australia. Sadly people from down under get additional lag, due to the long geographical distance between you and the BZFlag servers that are mostly in USA or Europe. (So even with a "good/not laggy" Australia Internet connection, you would still be more laggy than low-lag players)
So if Australia BZFlag servers exist, your lag should be much lower when playing there.
Wirth's law: "Software is getting slower more rapidly than hardware becomes faster."